Targeting silvers on a natural water (Esthwaite, Nr Windermere)

Thom

Hi guys,

I’m planning for a post lockdown (March/April/may) friendly with my nephew and we’ve chosen Esthwaite not far from Windermere. It’s a 200+ acre natural (not stocked, never has been) Stillwater that can produce good bags of silvers, including good bream.

I’m wondering how you guys would target such a venue using feeder tactics, what features you’d look for in your swim, baits you’d use and perhaps most importantly what your rig would look like.

At the minute I’m thinking distance feeder, 12ft rod, 4000 sized reel as it’s shallow close in. Fishmeal ground bait with hemp, caster (maybe corn but this is perhaps a bit artificial for such a place?) and dead reds as ‘particles’. Hookbaits being worm, dead reds and casters (all being natural themselves?)

Rig; sliding open end feeder, 18” .13 hooklength to a 14/16 hook?

I should add I’m coming back to the sport after ten years away so trying to swat up but may be barking down the wrong avenue!

thanks I’m advance!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Unless it’s heavily Carp fished an old type Groundbait is probably better. Sensas Roach,Lake,Match blend,Magic etc along with some brown crumb. That time of year the fish will probably be spawning,or near their spawning grounds, which can help with location. I’d have a few walks round it in the evening trying to spot the fish. Find them and you’ll catch them👍. Gear and rig is fine. If it’s extreme distance a longer rod can be beneficial.
Might be worth prebaiting if it’s Bream you’re after but only in an area you see them.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
The Cadence bloke did a video a while back whilst he was with Shakespeare, I can’t do links but it’ll soon show up on YouTube if you put a search in.👍

Thom

Ah yes I did see that video from Shakespeare - informative! The lads at the venue on the phone have given a great first insight but I’m trying to get down to the nitty gritty of tactics :) it’ll just be the day we’re there unless I can get a free pass from the Mrs so prebaiting/walks around may be out of the question unfortunately. The manager has said he’ll direct us on the day though - I’m just a little worried about the bank side tree cover without a platform to fish from!

Last edited:

Thom

Unless it’s heavily Carp fished an old type Groundbait is probably better. Sensas Roach,Lake,Match blend,Magic etc along with some brown crumb. That time of year the fish will probably be spawning,or near their spawning grounds, which can help with location. I’d have a few walks round it in the evening trying to spot the fish. Find them and you’ll catch them👍. Gear and rig is fine. If it’s extreme distance a longer rod can be beneficial.
Might be worth prebaiting if it’s Bream you’re after but only in an area you see them.
There’s no carp and very few coarse anglers fish it. Regularly fished for its large pike and trout but little else. Don’t expect them to be shy once on the bait but perhaps unfamiliar with none natural baits (I’m not even thinking about pellets at all)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some good Roach and Perch in there but its been a managed and stocked trout fishery for many years and because it was expensive to fish not really popular with general coarse anglers.
The ones that I know have fished it used platforms as far out as comfortable and long distance feeder tactics and thought 5 fish was a decent day plus the accidental trout.
Forget the fishmeal as there are lots of pike in there stick to brown crumb and maggot or caster, easiest way to get the distance would be a 50g window feeder.

corkycat

Living in Lancashire I fished Esthwaite Water a few times last summer and wasn't disappointed. Your best option is to phone the lake office and ask him to reserve peg 2, next to the reed bed. (The manager will show you where it is). You can park your car behind this peg and two people can fish from it, no problem. The trees are far enough back from the edge not to be a problem. As for tactics - fish "Ireland Style" at 40 metres plus with worm or maggots with a sweet, rather than fish meal mix in the feeder. The rig you mention is fine, plus size 12 hooks if using large worms. If you can get some bait out before starting, then so much the better. No need to go walking round the lake, just set up on peg 2 and enjoy the scenery. I had a bite a chuck with some corking roach to 1lb, hybrids, but no bream unfortunately though there are some big ones present, and a trout as long as my arm.

There is a clean toilet block, cafe, and tackle shop. Again as suggested above the day tickets are pricey but they do include your all day parking on the car park.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
If big trout are about, would you recommend clipping up with a rubber band?

Thom

Living in Lancashire I fished Esthwaite Water a few times last summer and wasn't disappointed. Your best option is to phone the lake office and ask him to reserve peg 2, next to the reed bed. (The manager will show you where it is). You can park your car behind this peg and two people can fish from it, no problem. The trees are far enough back from the edge not to be a problem. As for tactics - fish "Ireland Style" at 40 metres plus with worm or maggots with a sweet, rather than fish meal mix in the feeder. The rig you mention is fine, plus size 12 hooks if using large worms. If you can get some bait out before starting, then so much the better. No need to go walking round the lake, just set up on peg 2 and enjoy the scenery. I had a bite a chuck with some corking roach to 1lb, hybrids, but no bream unfortunately though there are some big ones present, and a trout as long as my arm.

There is a clean toilet block, cafe, and tackle shop. Again as suggested above the day tickets are pricey but they do include your all day parking on the car park.
That’s great advice - my nephew, while keen, doesn’t have the means or experience to be fishing from a platform and I was growing slightly concerned we would need such tactics to get into decent water. Ideally we’d be on dry land, punching feeders out about that distance 👍

Reuben

Site Supporter
I was just about to say phone them first. Someone I know fishes it regularly & prebooks. Some of the pegs are a long way from the car park. Great cafe he says. I think it’s about £12 a day including car parking? He fishes feeder on a longish chuck & gets some quality roach. Good luck.

Reuben

Site Supporter
That’s why ringing the office first is a good idea. They’ll be able to put you where the fish are being caught.

smiffy

Site Supporter
In March / April could the fish still be shoaled up in deeper water?
I’m darn sarf, milder part of the country, but it’s round that time that the Roach start moving into shallower water near their spawning grounds. It can be feast or famine on a 350acre water I fish. A week too early and you’ll blank but catch it right and it’s fantastic fishing. Once they’ve spawned they normally spread throughout the lake.
I love the challenges these large waters offer👍 Best of luck to the OP👍
Roach can spawn quite early, end of March/early April, depending on conditions. Certainly before Bream spawn.

Thom

Thanks guys! This will be me returning to coarse angling after ten years away although I’ve sea fishing the past couple.

I’m gradually buying my kit back and have a lovely Zebco Rhino Special feeder rod I’ve bought (same as that I had 10 years ago) which is 12ft and casts upto 100grams so should be ideal for these purposes. Used to spend a week in the summer by derwentwater watching a shoal of roach pass through twice a day, my pb definitely came from there (right chunks) but it was a waiting game for a handful of fish!

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Thanks guys! This will be me returning to coarse angling after ten years away although I’ve sea fishing the past couple.

I’m gradually buying my kit back and have a lovely Zebco Rhino Special feeder rod I’ve bought (same as that I had 10 years ago) which is 12ft and casts upto 100grams so should be ideal for these purposes. Used to spend a week in the summer by derwentwater watching a shoal of roach pass through twice a day, my pb definitely came from there (right chunks) but it was a waiting game for a handful of fish!
Best looking roach I ever caught were from Derwent water - pristine examples.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Having always fished Ullswater for Trout, I've never given Coarse fishing in the Lakes much thought. Had some nice Perch out of Ullswater on the fly over the years though. I have pals who do fish Derwent and Bassenthwaite regular and they do get some big bags of Roach, as well as Bream from Bassenthwaite. Keep meaning to give it a go.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
In May 2019 I was boat fly fishing for Trout and drifting from the pontoon towards the South point. I saw several shoals of what I thought to be decent sized Roach. Too small to be Bream and certainly weren't Trout. There were several other boats fishing for Trout and some Pikers on the bank. My conclusion was there was plenty of natural food at the shallower leeward end as all anglers were finding fish. I would suggest a good dumping of crumb/caster and maggot would attract a variety of fish into your swim anywhere facing the wind.