Targeting One Specific Fish

James5769

So I’ve been invited to fish a medium sized water to fish for a Wels Catfish. There is only one in the lake, and I’m not too sure where to start. I know roughly where in the lake it lives due to it being seen slapping it’s tail and constant bubbling for around 45 minutes in that spot.

What would your approach be? How would you target it? I’m thinking of fishing two rods, one with spam or large halibut pellet and one with squid. I was going to fish standard bolt rigs or running ledgers, night fishing is possible. They just want to know the size of it as it’s not been caught since it was stocked. Any advice would be a massive help. Additionally I feel it’s worth mentioning that there is a good head of pike in this lake, and it has never come out on a dead bait so I don’t think that standard deadbait would be a good approach or I’d just be into pike the entire time.

James5769

A hook full of lobworms might work
I worry that small perch and roach might nip at the lobworms overnight, however I suppose that’s a risk that has to be tried hahaha.

The last 'cat' I caught was on a 14mm Halibut pellet. Worth a try.
A few lads have said to string together 3-4 18mm halibut pellets on a hair and see how that goes. I’d be curious as to if they dissolved overnight or not though

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Two 25mm Halibut pellets on a hair, over a bed of 15mm pellets.
Having said that I caught my PB (100 lb+) on a 15mm sardine and garlic boilie when I was carp fishing :D

Shadrack

I’d go the way of big halibut pellets. Probably multiple on a hair. Something big enough to put everything else off, catfish have huge mouths and can easily take baits like that

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Hair rig a big chunk of a Belachan block? There's nothing stinkier. Should catch something.

James5769

Two 25mm Halibut pellets on a hair, over a bed of 15mm pellets.
Having said that I caught my PB (100 lb+) on a 15mm sardine and garlic boilie when I was carp fishing :D
I’d go the way of big halibut pellets. Probably multiple on a hair. Something big enough to put everything else off, catfish have huge mouths and can easily take baits like that
I’ll buy some big 25mm pellets and some smaller ones to use as loose feed. A few lads recommended dousing it all in sea anglers prawn & peeler crab oil as it absolutely stinks so it may definitely be an approach to go with.

Hair rig a big chunk of a Belachan block? There's nothing stinkier. Should catch something.
I’ve not heard of Belachan block before, I’ll take a look into it, it’s always worth a try, thanks for the recommendation

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I worry that small perch and roach might nip at the lobworms overnight, however I suppose that’s a risk that has to be tried hahaha.

A few lads have said to string together 3-4 18mm halibut pellets on a hair and see how that goes. I’d be curious as to if they dissolved overnight or not though
Being the size they are, and given the fact that Halibut pellets are oily, they will take quite a while to dissolve.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
A week old chicken breast hair rigged on a 3/0.
Nothing but a Catfish or a Crayfish will touch it.

PJG

Hair rig a large piece of squid. Don't forget to put dissolving foam over the hook to ensure that when casting the hook does not twist and stick into the squid and mask the hook point! Good luck!

tincatim

Site Supporter
A week old chicken breast hair rigged on a 3/0.
Nothing but a Catfish or a Crayfish will touch it.
I’m sure I once read that on the River Ebro, they used to feed the big cats with whole chickens lowered into to deep holes on rope. Might be a bit hard to cast a full roast chicken though 🤣

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

When you cast in drop a couple on a tub of water beside you. Or experiment at home before going.