Targeting Lots of Small Perch

matiny2k

I was in a match on a drain a couple of weeks ago and caught a few perch 'accidentally' at the end of my keep net before shipping out my pole. it got me thinking about the best way to target them if I really wanted to have a 'perch fest'. What advice could you give please. Is it the obvious lots of chopped worm or would groundbait by any good? Lots of maggots, squats ?

Thanks

Mat

Dusty

I used to fish a lake rammed with them and caught hundreds just spraying maggots over a shallow float rig.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Very finely chopped worm, add a bit of predator plus for colour and scent, and try worm/red maggot on the hook. A small amount of dark groundbait might also be useful to get the bait down in deep swims.

Feeding will depend upon how many perch are present - there aren't many venues where you can keep catching perch for hours on end, so you might want to fish it out or put a marble sized feed in every few minutes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Like said above there’s not many venues where you can get lots of perch depending on your definition of lots, max I’ve done is about 25 or so on rivers and maybe 40 on Stillwaters. They would have simply come to maggots over groundbait, there will always be silvers amongst them so is hard to be selective.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On my Bream water, a big lake, a lot of small Perch get caught on a 3m whip with just maggots. Is a tactic in matches when not catching Bream apparently.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Fish close in to either side of peg alternatively. Loose feed maggot a few at a time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s a good point. On my local Stillwater the accidental short line as I call it, caused by when I occasionally make a mess of feeding and it falls short, often produces more perch than the normal further out line.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Used to be able to catch them for five hours on the cut off channel which is also a drain. Tactic was to cup in neat chopped worm and fish it out. Only feeding again as bites died off. No need for massive amounts of worm.
Whip,bulk rig and worm on the hook was the tactics. Most fish were 2 to 4oz. What you may find you need to do is rest the line if it starts slowing and give something else a try for half an hour.
Another good tactic is to feed chopped worm a section short of a groundbait line intended for Roach.

Last edited:

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
I love fishing for perch. I've had a bit of luck recently with prawns in the hook, chopped up a few too in the dark ground bait with some predator juice and/or chopped worm. IMG_20200102_160748.jpg

rudd

Site Supporter
They wise up quickly as their mates disappear.
Feed four or five spots for them sparsely as they soon get filled up with maggot/pinkie/worm.
Take one or two from each spot and alternate between left and right spots.
Depending on how much bank you have a 14m pole will give you 15 spots at 2m intervals each way (one under your feet).
From experience I have found half to two thirds depth to be best catching area ands gives positve bites with lip hooked Perch.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Best thing about perch for me is that they provide the everyday angler the chance of a big small fish if that makes sense. For example pound plus roach, Rudd and certainly dace are still fairly rare captures for most of us as are likes of grayling and crucians to a lesser extent. By contrast 1-3lb perch are very common on most waters and much more catchable at those sizes than those other species.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Fished at Runsworth Resevoir many years ago which was full of decent sized perch. I did well fishing mid depth, single red maggot & orange/red groundbait mixed so it would form a cloud. I mixed some yellow Kestrel with ordinary red crumb.

Steve Lockett

That’s a good point. On my local Stillwater the accidental short line as I call it, caused by when I occasionally make a mess of feeding and it falls short, often produces more perch than the normal further out line.
It's also a brilliant line for bonus roach, especially on commercials...

Steve Lockett

If you have caught several perch and bites have dried up, try lowering a pole rig to full depth, baited with a small piece of worm. Then, very gradually lift the rig back up to the top and feel for bites. This can be a brilliant 'get out of jail' for small perch on rock hard venues.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I went through the ranks in my previous club as pools fodder to club champ. It wasnt until I started looking at individual species that I started to do well. The initial one was perch. I read an article in match fishing and i was away. My best ever perch weight is 38lbs, a weight i doubt I will ever repeat but I also had a fair few match wins unti somebody said " whats up cant you catch roach?" Anyway, my method was to finely chop a lob worm at a time and feed it at the bottom of the very first ledge or against nearside vegetation. Then I fished the tail of a dendra just off the bottom and constantly lifted and dropped the bait. No additives or groundbait...and most were hooked in the top lip. Hope it is of some use to you

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Perch first, i would get a load of lobworms, blitz with a handblender and then mix with leam, feed little balls and Perch go mad for it, i won 6 winter league matches with that many moons ago, told my brothers after teh first 3 rounds and they came 2nd and 3rd in the remaining 3 rounds lol. def move the bait with lift and drop as posted previously.

I really fancy trying this at alders farm with teh perch fishing that they have there.

smiffy

Site Supporter
The biggest problem with catching loads of small Perch is all the tiny puncture wounds on your hands?.
One other thing to bear in mind is that small Perch are very fragile. Try to hit the bites early so as to hook them within disgorger range. Digging about in their stomachs will often result in a dead Perch. Obviously this means fishing off bottom for them.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Thought I would share, for potential worm anglers...
I used to collect my own lobworms for this. 10 was enough for a match. On a damp night my friend and I would go and collect them from the uneven paths were i lived. The best spot was the local sheltered accomadation block for Oaps. The worms would be half in the ground and half out between the cracks in the pavement. By placing a finger on the hole to trap them and grabbing the head by the thumb until the worm relaxed we were able to collect enough to fish with and provide the tackle shop. It was great...until the old dears called the police and tried to have us arrested. The look on their faces to see a couple of bait boxes filled with lobworms was priceless but the threat of trip to the local station by the unamused officer dissuaded me for a bit.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
football pitches or communual grounds are the best for this, note that paths by the roads can be hit and miss in winter with the salt spreading. same if you are collecting molehill soil by the roads

headtorch with tissue paper taped over the light means the worms happily sit there waiting to be picked up.