Targeting F1’s in open water, in winter.

Ringe

Site Supporter
Looking for some guidance as to how to go about this.
Lake is about 15 acres with max. depth of about 7 feet. Heavily stocked with F1’s and a good shallow fishing venue in the warmer months - be interested to hear thoughts on how to approach it now - providing it doesn’t have a lid on, of course!
Thanks,

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I'd fish on the bottom, a few sections out with white maggot, keep going out till bites come.
I would always fish red maggots in the winter for F1,s, and whites in the summer 🤷‍♂️If the waters clear you will need to go further than a few sections....Open water bread dobbing, without feeding anything can be good if it’s rock hard ... A small maggot feeder or hybrid with a pinch of groundbait on and maggots on the hook can work ....

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I would always fish red maggots in the winter for F1,s, and whites in the summer 🤷‍♂️If the waters clear you will need to go further than a few sections....Open water bread dobbing, without feeding anything can be good if it’s rock hard ... A small maggot feeder or hybrid with a pinch of groundbait on and maggots on the hook can work ....
Don't you get bitted out by perch though?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of our club waters is like a small commercial (20 pegs) between 4 and 6 feet deep. Stocked with mainly F1's & Ide plus a smattering of roach, chub & tench. People have been catching F1's on white maggot or 4mm expanders the last couple of weeks, fished on the bottom at Topkit plus two mainly. There's a reedbed at one end & one guy did well dobbing bread against this, fishing 6 inches off the deck. Size 18 hooks, light hooklengths & the float dotted right down to a pimple. Bites are extremely finicky

matt

Site Supporter
If you catch a few on the deck on one line then don’t be afraid to try the same depth on other lines regardless of if the other lines are deeper... they can have a habit of just sitting at a particular depth, so you need to search them out.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's well known that I'm not a lover when it comes to F1's though I'm slowly getting to grips with them since moving up to Yorkshire, however the problem I find is that once it gets really cold they tend to ball up and are reluctant to move, so that you're either on them (happy days) or your not and if you're not there's very little you can do to draw them into your swim.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Not if there’s F1,s there , I’d never even buy white maggots in winter 🤷‍♂️
That’s interesting. I just fish reds in winter and tend to fish two reds and a white on in summer. Do you reckon just whites are good for f1s in summer?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not a thread I expected to be commentating on but this colour of maggot stuff is fascinating.

I just dabbled with the different colours through my early years and a pattern developed that I tended to do best with reds so that's what I use 99% of the time now. Never thought of changing for different species and times. Only times I've deliberately used white in recent years is sight fishing for grayling but I've since discovered red doesn't do any harm there either.

A proper makes you think thread 👍🏻

Ringe

Site Supporter
Thanks guys - the white (summer) vs. red (winter) is interesting, but I suspect relates largely to water clarity. On venues other than the one in question here, I’m doing OK feeding reds but having one of each on the hook. (y)

JLK

For shallow fishing in summer I use both colours or casters and use dead reds/caster on the hook or in a band. Never had an issue to be honest.
However. When I fished a few opens at partridge, I got told that most of the regulars use white in summer and come the colder months when they start to sit in the deeper water they switch to red. I think this was because Andy Bennett coached a regular and told him that according to the chap in the on-site shop.
Other stories I have heard are that the silhouette of a white maggot stands out better in shallow water against the sky hence why they use white maggots for shallow fishing. Personally Id be more inclined to think that the white maggots are generally bigger and softer than reds and therefore sink slower, but each to their own.
Another story I got told was that because red light gets filtered out in water the deeper you go, then a red maggot stands out better. (Looks darker the deeper you go) God knows if this is right as I've caught on both colours shallow and on the deck and on white bread discs dobbing.
Ultimately, confidence is king.

Griffo

Site Supporter
Not a thread I expected to be commentating on but this colour of maggot stuff is fascinating.

I just dabbled with the different colours through my early years and a pattern developed that I tended to do best with reds so that's what I use 99% of the time now. Never thought of changing for different species and times. Only times I've deliberately used white in recent years is sight fishing for grayling but I've since discovered red doesn't do any harm there either.

A proper makes you think thread 👍🏻
Years ago if fishing for chub on the Trent would never attempt it without using bronze maggots, as it turned out the dye used was nasty stuff. But they worked.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
15 acres sounds pretty big to me? As said they can shoal up so you have to find them even on smaller lakes I'm used to.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I'd fish in the thermocline around mid depth with the Sonubaits 2mm pro expander pellets soaked in liquid brasem. Feeding micros, again wetted in brasem. Float would be something like an hillbilly F1 wire or the guzunder. A short line from float to pole. Using a bump bar I'd be lifting and dropping often. Feeding little after every fish.