Target for the coming season

matt

Site Supporter
For me it will mostly just be the chance to get out fishing again..... last time I went was fluff chucking last September on a little Chalk Stream just a couple of days before the end of the river season and the last time I got out Sea Fishing was on a Charter boat the Friday before Lockdown part 1 started.... that was an early season Plaice Trip, so pretty uneventful!

However, most of all I’m looking forward to getting back into match fishing again after quite a few years out of it...... fully expecting to get battered on the first few outings but we’ve all got to start somewhere! :ROFLMAO:

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fancy leaving out one of my favourites, a Ruffe.
Since moving to Nottingham in 1999, I've caught 3! I had one out the Beeston Canal, one out of the River Soar and one out of the small lake at Belvoir Castle. When I lived in Watford, I fished matches where people would catch 50! (I think about a dozen was the most I ever had in a day)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
the last time I got out Sea Fishing was on a Charter boat the Friday before Lockdown part 1 started.... that was an early season Plaice Trip, so pretty uneventful!
Assuming that’s the south coast was that on the blocks by any chance? Tried that a couple times myself and uneventful is the right word as I’ve yet to get a plaice! Proper dead time for sea fishing around then (almost about now I guess 🤔) isn’t it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Since moving to Nottingham in 1999, I've caught 3! I had one out the Beeston Canal, one out of the River Soar and one out of the small lake at Belvoir Castle. When I lived in Watford, I fished matches where people would catch 50! (I think about a dozen was the most I ever had in a day)
They’ve vanished here as well. Used to be be a semi regular catch on the Thames but haven’t had one for probably 6-7 years now out of it. Weirdly the last ones I had were out of a lake in Norfolk of all places although that was nearly as long ago now. Probably never had more than half a dozen in a day anywhere ever though.

matt

Site Supporter
Assuming that’s the south coast was that on the blocks by any chance? Tried that a couple times myself and uneventful is the right word as I’ve yet to get a plaice! Proper dead time for sea fishing around then (almost about now I guess 🤔) isn’t it.
Hi mate, to be honest I haven’t boat fished the Eastern side of the Solent for many years, most of my Charter boat fishing is done on the Western side out of Lymington where the early season Plaice can turn up off Barton and Hordle.

You’re absolutely right about these months being the worst for sea fishing.... as I remember on that pre-lockdown trip, there were a couple of Plaice caught that day but they were literally wafer thin..... when it warms up a bit around April / May time and they’ve had a chance to have a munch and fatten up, there can be some fantastic Plaice fishing along the Western Hampshire / East Dorset coastline and it’s not uncommon to see the odd 4lber come up..... Black Lug or Rag tipped with Prawn seems to be the best combination and some skippers will fish at anchor instead of on the drift.

Another thing that has really surprised me is that when fishing at anchor, the most productive rigs are those using the Delta Sonar Spoons.... must be to do with the extra weight close to the hook helping to really nail the bait on the bottom.

Roll on the end of lockdown as I can’t wait to get out Bassing off the Needles! :D

Keith Sparky

My number one target for the season is to hug and hold my daughter who as a teacher seems to have been at arms length for far too long due to this pandemic......fishing wise then just getting out on the Wye for some warm sunny late evening sessions with one rod and a few bits in a bag for Barbel of any size.....bliss

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My hopes for this year are :

(a) to join a club for access to a couple of mixed lakes

(b) continue to feed & develop my son’s interest in fishing

(c) get my son to actually hold a fish ;)

(d) fish one or two matches, after all someone needs to be pools fodder :LOL:

(e) learn to fish a long pole

(f) do my darnedest to keep the only free water near us open for fishing

Going to be busy but fun

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Hi mate, to be honest I haven’t boat fished the Eastern side of the Solent for many years, most of my Charter boat fishing is done on the Western side out of Lymington where the early season Plaice can turn up off Barton and Hordle.

You’re absolutely right about these months being the worst for sea fishing.... as I remember on that pre-lockdown trip, there were a couple of Plaice caught that day but they were literally wafer thin..... when it warms up a bit around April / May time and they’ve had a chance to have a munch and fatten up, there can be some fantastic Plaice fishing along the Western Hampshire / East Dorset coastline and it’s not uncommon to see the odd 4lber come up..... Black Lug or Rag tipped with Prawn seems to be the best combination and some skippers will fish at anchor instead of on the drift.

Another thing that has really surprised me is that when fishing at anchor, the most productive rigs are those using the Delta Sonar Spoons.... must be to do with the extra weight close to the hook helping to really nail the bait on the bottom.

Roll on the end of lockdown as I can’t wait to get out Bassing off the Needles! :D
Ah I see eastern Solent is very much my sea patch, have fished the west end a couple times out of key haven but that’s about it.

And yeah I’m not a fan of March and most of April for sea fishing, too late for the winter species and often too early for the summer species. Generally have the odd trip in April to see what’s turned up but it’s usually May and June for sea fishing for me. Obviously get the nicer seas then as well! Just hope we can travel a bit by then this year as doing a bit of sea fishing doesn’t half make being off the rivers for the closed season more bearable 🤞🏻

Needles bassing sounds great! Would love a proper go at bass. Only really caught a couple proper sizes ones, one was whilst smoothie fishing off the nab tower one summer which isnt that unusual but the other was a surprise one in late autumn whiting fishing off gilkicker. Did book a proper bass charter out of poole on silver spray a few years ago but it got blown off so ended up Dace fishing the stour instead 😅

Silver fan 82

Gaz, Nuggets are a Bonus, I'll just be happy just to see all the usual faces (and hopefully a few new ones) at The MD's Alders Weekend as hopefully it will indicate that none have succumbed to CV19 leaving us all the poorer for their absence. ;)

one thing I learnt from fishing matches, it doesn't matter how badly you do, there's always someone worse...
Have you been watching me fish Dave? 😉

rudd

Site Supporter
To take a few pictures in focus 😉 if I catch anything!

My main target is to not catch covid tbh.

Tristar

Site Supporter
1) catch my 1st Grayling
2) get my tackle up to standard as had to sell the last lot due to circumstances
3) develop more experience and knowledge to help others on here
4) attend an MD's get together to put faces to names........and maybe sink a pint or three

BURNING

are you asking about plans for summer?

catch a seabass on a topwater lure
catch a mackerel on a personally tied fly
catch a pike on a personally tied fly
catch my first plaice
catch a garfish at least once
catch my first tench
catch a good sized roach
try and scout out chub when the river's clear using small crankbaits
find out if it's possible or ethical to catch mullet as they are spawning in the river

davepellet

No there isn't. :D:D
Have you been watching me fish Dave? 😉
don't sell yourselves short fella's, modesty is a fine characteristic... but so is honesty!!!!

Can any of you beat this for lack of fishing knowledge/ability...
one of the blokes I'm thinking of... prime example

match on Chesterfield Canal just outside Retford, beautiful, tranquil narrow & shallow rural canal, full of fish, chub, eels, tench & the usual roach, perch, gudgeon... the sun was already up & chub were all over the surface, so it was gonna be a tough day

guy I drew next to started setting up, just dropping kit on the towpath without a thought, as time's going on I'm getting more & more annoyed, then he gets an allow bank stick out & a hammer! He starts to position the bank stick and lines up to whack it with the hammer...

I couldn't take that any more & stopped him...
"You're not thinking of hitting that with the hammer, are you...!" (more a statement than a question...)
you could physically see his brain start to engage... and then he says, "well, I won't catch owt anyway"... (no s**t!)

so I says, "Neither will anyone else if you start banging that bugger!" which seemed to have the desired effect...

What amazed me more than the guy's stupidity was the fact the other fella's (who fish with him every single week & had done for years prior to me joining their club) had never attempted to explain watercraft / stealth to him, or that a small careless action can and will lead to abject failure, not just for yourself but all those around you...!

Didn't stay in that club very long after that

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
don't sell yourselves short fella's, modesty is a fine characteristic... but so is honesty!!!!

Can any of you beat this for lack of fishing knowledge/ability...
one of the blokes I'm thinking of... prime example

match on Chesterfield Canal just outside Retford, beautiful, tranquil narrow & shallow rural canal, full of fish, chub, eels, tench & the usual roach, perch, gudgeon... the sun was already up & chub were all over the surface, so it was gonna be a tough day

guy I drew next to started setting up, just dropping kit on the towpath without a thought, as time's going on I'm getting more & more annoyed, then he gets an allow bank stick out & a hammer! He starts to position the bank stick and lines up to whack it with the hammer...

I couldn't take that any more & stopped him...
"You're not thinking of hitting that with the hammer, are you...!" (more a statement than a question...)
you could physically see his brain start to engage... and then he says, "well, I won't catch owt anyway"... (no s**t!)

so I says, "Neither will anyone else if you start banging that bugger!" which seemed to have the desired effect...

What amazed me more than the guy's stupidity was the fact the other fella's (who fish with him every single week & had done for years prior to me joining their club) had never attempted to explain watercraft / stealth to him, or that a small careless action can and will lead to abject failure, not just for yourself but all those around you...!

Didn't stay in that club very long after that
Thrud the barbarian !

alsur

Site Supporter
Haven't set targets as such for years, just to get out as much as I want and enjoy myself. Did catch a personal best Chub last year highlight of a fairly mediocre year.