tares

richox12

Read the thread from the beginning and you will see how it developed.

In my experience colouring tares makes no difference whatever whether you feed hemp or not......and I have been using them for over 45 years on many different venues

If you want to make tares look like hemp you may as well simply use hemp
I have read it. Hence my posts and I have also quoted specific text to comment on.

IME colouring definitely does make a big difference. So your venues behave differently to others but that's why others do it. There is no definitive way it's just what works for others. And iron tablets (Boots, Supermarkets etc) blacken tares much better than anything I have ever tried. Hemp & tares are totally different when on the hook, how to hook etc etc. Again IME for the majority of the time roach take hemp more readily than tares but tares - if you can get them to work quickly/consistently - are easier to use. This is when it's a fishing race. Catching 150- 200 roach in 5hrs needs to be efficient.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I ended up leaving my tares natural, as different colours did not seem to make any difference. I fed hemp because that seemed to get a faster response. I would gradually reduce the hemp and increase the tares and by the last hour and a half of a match I would be feeding neat tares.

richox12

....I fed hemp because that seemed to get a faster response. I would gradually reduce the hemp and increase the tares and by the last hour and a half of a match I would be feeding neat tares.
That's quite often the way. Eventually you can get the roach switched onto them.

davylad

Site Supporter
I found Bi Carb blackens them Dave, sugar makes them shiny, but you must do them whilst the water is hot. I suppose we all have our own ways. (y)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I found Bi Carb blackens them Dave, sugar makes them shiny, but you must do them whilst the water is hot. I suppose we all have our own ways. (y)
Strange that mate, I always put the sugar or bicarb in at the start of the cooking process.

rudd

Site Supporter
I have found demerara sugar works better than white (smells nice when cooking) and have always used bicard to blacken hemp or maple peas. Will give iron tabs a try.
Never tried tares but have used Elderberries and fake hemp!

davylad

Site Supporter
The reason the water must be fairly hot is, the tares will split if rinsed with cold water.