Tares; a forgotten bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I used to catch some great nets of Roach on the Trent using Hemp and Tares during the summer months. Unfortunately it is a bait that seems to have gotten lost amid the influx of pellets, paste etc. I actually tried to get some a couple of years ago and the lad in the tackle shop had never heard of them!

For the uninitiated, Tares are a seed that looks very similar to hemp but a little bit bigger. Often used as Pigeon food it should be available from any decent animal feed stockists. If you can't find any then you can get it on-line via Amazon at a couple of quid a kilo, not expensive when you consider that you can get two or even three sessions out of this amount. Although it is a killer bait it is vital that it is prepared properly. The following is my wife's recipe and it has always worked for me:-

1) Put half a kilo of Tares into a colander and rinse thoroughly.

2) Tip into a large saucepan, cover with water and soak overnight.

3) Next day strain off the water, the seeds will not look any
different, don't worry that's normal.

4) Cover with plenty of water, at least 4 inches above the level of
the seeds. If they float, just keep dobbing them with your
finger until they have all sunk.

5) Bring the water up to the boil and simmer gently for 40
minutes stirring occasionally.

6) After 40 minutes lift out a dozen or so seeds and squash them
until they either split or squash flat, squashed flat is what you
want. If at least half of the sample squash then turn off the heat
and leave them to cool naturally. If, however, more than half of
them split then keep simmering and test again every 10 minutes
until they are done. Leaving them to cool naturally, allows the
splitters to finish cooking.

7) Once cooled, strain off the liquid and keep it. put the finished
Tares into a bag and store in the Fridge. The saved juice is used
for either mixing ground-bait or storing the Tares whilst fishing
(you keep them in water, just like casters).

This should give you perfect Tares every time but, if you want a bit of variety then adding a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda to the cooking water will turn the seeds a much paler colour. Adding a couple of spoons of sugar, instead of bicarb, will turn the seeds jet black.
Personally I tend to leave my bait 'au natural', I have tried all 3 colours and in all honesty I didn't think any out fished the other. But try it yourselves you might find otherwise and if it gives that bit of extra confidence then you will fish better.

Be WARNED cooking Tares can ruin saucepans so don't go using the missus's best copper bottom, go out and buy a wilko's one just for this job!!

On a river Tares are best fished with a stick float and an 18 hook, a lot of old timers advocate a 14 or even a 12 but I have always been more successful with a single seed on an 18.

I always use it along with Hemp. I start with 3 or 4 big handfuls of Hemp, to get a bed started, then I feed a handful a trot 75% hemp 25% Tares. Over the course of the next 4 hours I gradually decrease the hemp until I am just feeding neat Tares, about 10 seeds per trot.

davylad

Hey steady on Dave, you'll have em catching as many as me. No seriously, I fish tares a lot, and have done since the days you mention. I notice you stated "in the summer months" but I've been absolutely bagging on roach at a venue I fish for weeks now, and that includes right through the cold period. There's a few methods of cooking them, but I think you'll agree you have to keep your eye on them at the critical period, or they can turn to a black / brownish porridge. I don't know about you, but I can't find a supply of the size we used to get, they are much smaller. I don't think it makes much difference mind.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used Tares and Hemp many years ago and had some cracking days with it.
As you say it has been lost to pellets and today's baits

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Originally posted by davylad

Hey steady on Dave, you'll have em catching as many as me. No seriously, I fish tares a lot, and have done since the days you mention. I notice you stated "in the summer months" but I've been absolutely bagging on roach at a venue I fish for weeks now, and that includes right through the cold period. There's a few methods of cooking them, but I think you'll agree you have to keep your eye on them at the critical period, or they can turn to a black / brownish porridge. I don't know about you, but I can't find a supply of the size we used to get, they are much smaller. I don't think it makes much difference mind.

Sorry mate, it's always been a problem of mine, being too open. Maybe I should not have warned them about ruining pans!

Nice to hear that you have been bagging recently, I am, however, gobsmacked, I have never caught a fish on Tares after October, could be a confidence thing. I will definitely give it a go now though. I intend to try them on my local commercial, there are some huge roach in there but it is difficult to keep the carp away.

I agree that you can't get the size nowadays, when I posted the topic I was going to say that they should be about the size of a pea, but they're not now! I have a former pupil of mine whose parents own a pet shop, I will see if they can get any good quality stuff and I will let you know if they can.

Last edited:

chubby chubber

Site Supporter

i think i fish that same place dave when ever im over that way you can catch on em when theres snow on the ground
[:T]

davylad

Do you know Dave I had a mate who used to put a few in a flask over night, and I swear to god, they were perfect next morning. That was in the days before we fished poles, and might have to cast a couple of rods out. I tried many many times and not once could I get them anywhere near right, in a flask. I'm not sure whether I'd catch on a river such as The Trent in winter Dave, as like you we only fished them in the summer months in those days. Sometimes these days, odd things happen on commercial type venues, I mean you would hardly ever see a tench for instance in the middle of winter a few years ago, but you get them regularly nowadays even in the coldest of spells.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter

Do you know Dave I had a mate who used to put a few in a flask over night, and I swear to god, they were perfect next morning. That was in the days before we fished poles, and might have to cast a couple of rods out. I tried many many times and not once could I get them anywhere near right, in a flask. I'm not sure whether I'd catch on a river such as The Trent in winter Dave, as like you we only fished them in the summer months in those days. Sometimes these days, odd things happen on commercial type venues, I mean you would hardly ever see a tench for instance in the middle of winter a few years ago, but you get them regularly nowadays even in the coldest of spells.

You know, now that you mention it, using a flask was the way they used to recommend cooking hemp, never thought about it for Tares though. I think that you are right about odd things happening on commercials, although we should not be shocked about something seeming unnatural when in actual fact a commercial is an unnatural habitat and as such does not necessarily conform to the laws of nature. I guess we are still on a learning curve.

TinkaTinka

Site Supporter
Guys,

Here is my way of cooking tares, I use them all year round in conjunction with hemp for roach fishing on my local river Weaver.

Cooking in Stainless Steel coffee pots

Do not fill pots above 1/2 full with tares
Do not add Sodium bicarbonate as it creates undue pressure in vessels.
Add black dye (Sonus liquid bait dye)
Pre heat vessel with tares inside
Add hot water but leave a gap
Cook for 3-4 Hours

nelson66

I use tares all the time
No need to boil em
A 24 hour soak does the trick

roach man

I used to use them all the time too on the trent and canals I cooked mine slightly different to you soak for 24hrs with plenty of water and a teaspoon of bicarb for every pint then transfer to a casserole dish with plenty of water addd another teasoon of bicarb and a tablespoon of sugar and cook for about 45 mins on gas mark 3 after that test to see if soft enough remove if they are or top up with boiling water return to the oven for a further 5 mins and check again and doing that till correct softness get lovey shiny black tares that bigger roach and chub seemed to adore bring it on

G20

Site Supporter
Originally posted by roach man

I used to use them all the time too on the trent and canals I cooked mine slightly different to you soak for 24hrs with plenty of water and a teaspoon of bicarb for every pint then transfer to a casserole dish with plenty of water addd another teasoon of bicarb and a tablespoon of sugar and cook for about 45 mins on gas mark 3 after that test to see if soft enough remove if they are or top up with boiling water return to the oven for a further 5 mins and check again and doing that till correct softness get lovey shiny black tares that bigger roach and chub seemed to adore bring it on
Same way I cook them too.....they don't split or go to mush if casseroled

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Not forgotten by me, or by my esteemed mentor in H&T fishing for roach
Barbelcatcher, who reintroduced me to the tactic a few years ago, and greatly improved my technique. Thanks Peter! [:T]

DFL

Site Supporter
Is the cooking a smelly process like hemp? Need to be prepared.

G20

Site Supporter
Originally posted by DFL

Is the cooking a smelly process like hemp? Need to be prepared.
Not as bad as hemp

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I like the smell of hemp cooking. And my wife quite likes it too.

[:)]

davylad

Originally posted by nelson66

I use tares all the time
No need to boil em
A 24 hour soak does the trick

You must be using different tares to me then nelson, I wish mine would do that.

davylad

Originally posted by roach man

That's the best way to me too.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening peeps, when I bag up my hemp for the freezer I put in one tablespoon of tares to every five of hemp. Trouble is on the bank the defrosted tares can easily split, just put a few tares to one side on your tray or a bait box lid and after a very short while they dry out and become slightly rubbery, end of problem.

Total

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Pompous git

Evening peeps, when I bag up my hemp for the freezer I put in one tablespoon of tares to every five of hemp. Trouble is on the bank the defrosted tares can easily split, just put a few tares to one side on your tray or a bait box lid and after a very short while they dry out and become slightly rubbery, end of problem.

Freeze hemp and Tares separately in plastic bags.

Remove from freezer, defrost properly (night before in fridge is fine).

Leave in separate plastic bags and mix as needed on the bank. Left overs can be refrozen, but keep separately ... No split tares. [:)][:T]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.