Tangling when slapping the pole

frosty63

Hi everyone, newbie here, just got back into fishing after many years and got myself a long pole, yesterday a guy near to me was catching by slapping the pole over a few times when fishing shallow, when i tried it my line kept wrapping around my pole, i saw his rig and the length of line he was using and mine was very similar, i did have the wind blowing into me though where as he had a cross wind, any ideas how you stop this happening?

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
If you had a strong wind into your face you have to get a good strong spin on your rig to make sure the centrifugal force keeps your rig at 90° to the pole otherwise it will be blown towards you and wrap around the pole. A decent lash, line from pole tip to float, helps aswell.

D

Deleted member 23692

Best thing I changed was going to a Dacron connector rather than the stonfo style connectors, that really cut down on tangles.

frosty63

Thanks Lads, i had a bead type connection on, line straight to elastic with a guru bead pulled over the top, i thought i was punching it out hard enough to prevent the line wrapping, its done my head in, the venue i go to you have to be able to do this properly to compete.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Practice Frosty mate, we all started at some point, just take a bit of time and effort. 👍

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Would tapping rather than slapping be an option?

frosty63

Tapping maybe an option or just underarming it quite often, definitely gonna try heavier line, cheer for the ideas lads

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Lads, i had a bead type connection on, line straight to elastic with a guru bead pulled over the top,
The line is to close to your tip. A dacron connector, stiffened up (couple of coats of superglue on the dacron to stiffen it up) will hold the line that bit further away from the pole tip making it easier and less likely to tangle.

templegater

Site Supporter
Use a guru quick change swivel as your connector.
Direct and stops line twist.
Just slide a small bit of silicon over the clip.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never had an issue and I use the bead/elastic method, you can’t get simpler and more tangle free than that.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi everyone, newbie here, just got back into fishing after many years and got myself a long pole, yesterday a guy near to me was catching by slapping the pole over a few times when fishing shallow, when i tried it my line kept wrapping around my pole, i saw his rig and the length of line he was using and mine was very similar, i did have the wind blowing into me though where as he had a cross wind, any ideas how you stop this happening?
Try a heavier float and stiffer line

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Ive now changed to a heavier float and stiffer line and all my rigs over to the bead method.
You only need a heavier float in the wind for slapping , if f1 fishing in good conditions a light float will be good or for carp if they are shy . A heavy float is also good for swinging a rig on a long lash away from the pole for weary carp or f1 but mainly carp