Talking through a coaching session

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I walked to the village pond yesterday and sat behind a lad and dad. I know them as the young man is a pupil at my school. After asserting it wasn't going very well I sat behind them. Initially I noticed that they were fishing 2 ft overdepth. I showed them how to plum the peg. The next was to tell them that in my mind corn is better hooked through the flat end of the kernel and out the side. I then explained that I fish the bait slightly overdepth and on a tight line.
Simple changes= a run of small skimmers and a crucian. They said they wanted tench. Paste would be good I said. Oh we bought some but never used it. It was pulled out of the box and the basics talked through. They had bites immediately and I left them to it. I received the followimg pic and thanks. Best of all it was only a short session.

Attachments

• 20220415_191632.mp4
    6.9 MB
Last edited:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's advice that helps new anglers to correct mistakes and start catching. If someone is doing something obviously wrong, it's always worth politely offering a little advice. On my first day fishing I was holding the rod high in the air. A guy walked around the pond, and showed me how to hold the rod low to the water, and how to strike. And after an evening of missing bites, I hooked one and caught my first fish.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
I’ve received a ridiculous amount of help and guidance since I started fishing, both remotely via the forum and first hand on the bank.

I’m still a bit rubbish but learning fast 😂😂😂

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
I get a real buzz whenever I pass on a bit advice or local knowledge to someone and it results in them catching, especially the youngsters.
As a kid I was never afraid to chat to the older anglers on the bank for a few tips, and it’s nice to be able to pay some of that back now. You are never to old to learn though and I have learnt quite a bit about different carp rigs from some of the local younger anglers.
Unfortunately there are always those who don’t want, or will not listen to advice, however genuine offered.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Your village pond seems to have some cracking fishing and well done for coaching them to catch a few. (y) I had similar the other day at the park. A group of very young lads came down with their dad. First was,"Sorry to be a pain, but have you got any weights please Mr?". I gave them a tub of shot to use and went over to help them put it on the line properly, noticed their rig was set a foot deep so I gave them a plummet and showed them how to find the depth. Then I noticed they were moulding bread into a ball and hooking it that way, so I tried to show them how to pinch flake on the hook and how to make bread mash to feed. In fairness they were very young and I still don't think caught anything but their dad was grateful.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I’ve received a ridiculous amount of help and guidance since I started fishing, both remotely via the forum and first hand on the bank.

I’m still a bit rubbish but learning fast 😂😂😂
After this sunday and monday could do with a bit me sen lol

topfeeder

You can never get enough advice. We learn something new every time we go or at least i do.

Scardinius

When scrolling through the threads I read the tittle as ‘talking through a cocaine session’. Nothing useful to add though, as you were.

Total

Site Supporter
When scrolling through the threads I read the tittle as ‘talking through a cocaine session’. Nothing useful to add though, as you were.
;):D

nerdy glasses.jpg