Talk of starting war of the roses again....

MrV

Yorkshire exile
Site Supporter
Looking promising I would say....keep the names coming in lads [:T][:T]

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Pendle it was ...a fur and feather ...cleggy special "trout don't count" ...caught three of them all a good size and had to throw them all back #128514;#128514;#128514;

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Same match breamy surrounded his peg with "tel free zone" signs #128512; so tel went and collared somebody else and the poor lads pole cup fall off the end of his cupping for #128514;#128514;#128514;

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Alan and Julie Gilligan said they are interested as it's back to the original madness

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Old river sounds fine to me Nelson ...not a commie got a few fish traditional type venue &[;)]

nelson66

OK - lets stop this one from drifting into oblivion

I am offering to organise this match

Our club can offer a 36 peg venue - free of charge - so if we have a 5 peg fee then we can raise up to 180 to go towards charity in remembrance of Cleggy and Breamie - our much missed team captains
We can then add in an obligatory 1 side bet for each angler - to beat the angler on either side (so it will cost each angler 2 in side bets plus 5 entry)

I'm asking Dave to set the date - the venue on offer is The Old River Irwell in Irlam (which is a lake created when the Manchester Ship Canal was built)

Postcode is M44 6DN
Link the venue is here - https://www.google.com/maps/@53.444507,-2.412293,470m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

It's available on
Aug 12/13
Sept 9/10 16/17 and 23/24
Oct 14/15

There is a pub on site which will do breakfasts and after match drinks etc..... theres good parking too.

The lake is special to our club because we first took over the fishing rights and restocked it in 1897 after the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal - and a series of fishing matches was held to celebrate Queen Victorias Diamond Jubilee -

see http://salfordfriendlyanglers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Boathouse-1897.jpg

Our club nearly folded after the first world war when most of our club members were lost as part of the Manchester and Salford Pals Battalion attack at Thiepval Ridge on the Somme and the club gave up fishing rights to the Lancashire County Palatine Angling Association who in turn after a few years passed on the rights to The Boathouse Angling Club.

In 2009 the Old River suffered a near total wipeout of fish stocks and the Boathouse Angling Club folded as a result- and our club were asked by the local council in 2011 to take the lake back under our wing and to try to restore the lake to its former glories as match venue.

Since 2011 - we have restocked the lake with over 5000 skimmers to 2lb, 1000 small rudd, 2000 roach, 1000 tench to 2lb and 150 carp between 2 and 3lb.

Over the last few years - despite the restocking the fishing on the lake has been tough - however since the restocking of the carp in Feb this year - the fishing on the lake has been transformed - as the carp are forcing a bit of competition for food - so the fish which were previously ignoring anglers bait are now hard on the feed.
Pleasure sessions are seeing anglers using bread/corn/pellet or meat catching up to a dozen carp and tench - plus assorted small silvers in a session.

Maggot Drowners have played a significant role in us getting funding for the restocking of this lake (remember my threads asking people to vote for carp or vote for tench in funding competitions from our local council? - I reckon that the support from Maggot Drowners has helped us secure over 3k of funding for fish stocks !!)

In addition to the new fish - we have also re-furbished over 30 of the 36 fishing pegs - and the place now looks spot on....

So its an 18 a side match
Total entry cost is 7
I will let everyone know the cost of a brekkie after speaking to the landlord of the pub (it will be a reasonable price)
If Dave is happy to set the date from the list above - then everyone else will have to fit in around it.

pegasus

benny
yeah i remember carp dont count because the carp in the canal are too big.
a hour into match i had a 5 pounder that would have been good enought to win the match for yorkshire.
fond memories though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
September 23/24 seem good, outside of the usual holiday season and still decent enough weather .
Now just got to work out which is best, the Saturday or the Sunday ?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Dave

September 23/24 seem good, outside of the usual holiday season and still decent enough weather .
Now just got to work out which is best, the Saturday or the Sunday ?

Not good for me, got a club match on the Saturday, and cannot fish both days.

nelson66

Full English will be a fiver but pub don't want to open doors until 9am
Would mean an hour for breakfast til 10am - then an hour for draw and get set up time
Fish from 11am until Lancashire win

Lake is fishing well - Karl Tucker had 70lb mixed bag on an evening session earlier this week - carp to 3lb, tench to 6lb and bream to 4lb
This isn't a silvers venue

Come on Dave - set the date and lets get this one rolling

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'd say Sunday 24th September and we'll have to write Geoff a note for his missus [:D]

If pub can't do breakfast before 9:00am is there somewhere else we could meet?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Wedding Anniversary!!!!
Hope I've got plenty of Brownie points built up.[:H]