Tales of 'Mid Term' Inspections

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
If it is a legal requirement then 24 hours notice is all that must be given. It matter not whether the tenant responds or not, entry to the property is allowed. Gas safety is yearly, electrical safety 5 yearly. It makes sense to have the gas safety to coincide with the yearly tenancy agreement.
For basic inspections once again 24 hours notice must be given but the tenant can refuse entry. This is when landlords need to look at insurance documents etc to see if a due date is coming and plan accordingly. They can use this as a reasonable reason to enter the property with or without the tenants consent. Anti social behaviour reports, problems with adjoining properties possibly emanating from the rented property, all good reasons to enter without consent.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know very little about evictions but I was told by the agent I did the report for yesterday they wanted to issue a '24 hour eviction notice'!!! That's why they wanted my report back to them quickly. I'm not sure if I had it my way, if tenants should have more rights.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
They can send an eviction notice but it cannot be acted upon within 24 hours. There are caveats wherein if the property is classed as a "hostel" then literally no notice need be given. Turning up with a bunch of heavies tomorrow to force an eviction would only end badly for the agent. Loss of license, huge fine and possibly jail if they have a prior record of such behaviour. Evictions can take a very long time and do not be surprised once the notice is given the rent stops being paid. Yes illegal activity and breaking the TA are sound grounds for eviction but rules have to be followed especially now during the pandemic.
For council properties this is not so much of an issue as they have legal teams to deal with this sort of stuff, for private landlords this can turn into a nightmare.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Luckily I don't get to see that side of things, even the checkout reports I do which effect the amount of the deposit the tenant gets back, I've never had an agent contact me after receiving my report saying I've done it wrong or there's a disagreement. Only once I had to go back and that was to look for damage caused by a cat scratching doors.