Tales from 'viewings'

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've been holding viewings at a rental property for a letting agent in Wolverhampton for a good few weeks now. I've shown about 50 groups of people around the property so far and out of those about 40 have been dead set on applying for it. Yet I still have more viewings to do there.

I don't get to see the lettings side of things so I'm not sure why it hasn't been let yet. I put it down to the landlord being fussy on who he lets it to, my best guess, and his prerogative. But I am getting tired of going there as it's a fairly boring job and a two hour slot drags even if it's decent money.

Some of the questions I get asked I can't answer. There are big cracks in the walls in the front bedroom and it feels as though the house is subsiding slightly as the bedroom is slanted. The sliding doors on the fitted wardrobe do not stay shut as a result. I tell the viewers that nothing will be done about it and this is the condition the house is being let in, which to the best of my knowledge is true.

Some tiles in the bathroom have been removed by a plumber and not put back on. Again I don't think the landlord will rectify this before the move in.

So all this interest in the house, and tenants wanting things fixed before they move in, and it still hasn't been let. I hope it will be soon, as I say, I am getting tired of going there to show people round. I'm back there today for 2 hours and no doubt more of the same, tenants asking for me to 'put a good word in for them'. I just tell them to call the actual letting agent and apply.

Just a bit of a pointless rant. But why do you think with all this interest it still has not been let? As a landlord would you be prepared to lose rental income and have a property sat vacant to get a 'good' tenant? Because I can only guess that is what is going on and his choice. On the other hand, would you want to rent a property with structural cracks in the walls?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Being your line of work surely you would have more knowledge of what is going on?
If you don't then perhaps that's why you are not having success.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Sounds typical of a lot of private landlords. My stepdaughter is a tenant & always picks houses in the grottiest part of town & the houses are always falling to bits. I went down to plumb a washing machine for her last week & there's no outlet in the wall for the waste. You have to put the waste pipe in the sink to empty the washer!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Part of the problem is the viewers expect me to work for the letting agent, I'm just a 'key holder' and so literally get given the keys and asked to do viewings. I can't even answer the basic questions about the house and have to find out stuff myself just by sight. I can't even answer basic questions I get asked like what Council Tax Band the property is. This is why I might decline doing viewings for agents in future. This one does it because they're an online letting agent with a main office in London and the closest to property in Coventry so can't get proper letting agents out to do the job.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Sounds typical of a lot of private landlords. My stepdaughter is a tenant & always picks houses in the grottiest part of town & the houses are always falling to bits. I went down to plumb a washing machine for her last week & there's no outlet in the wall for the waste. You have to put the waste pipe in the sink to empty the washer!
You can change the trap under the sink to one with a spike on for the waste water from washing machine

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You can but you need to check the rental T&C's as if you make changes and things go wrong then you could be liable to pay for any damages.

robert d

Site Supporter
Part of the problem is the viewers expect me to work for the letting agent, I'm just a 'key holder' and so literally get given the keys and asked to do viewings. I can't even answer the basic questions about the house and have to find out stuff myself just by sight. I can't even answer basic questions I get asked like what Council Tax Band the property is. This is why I might decline doing viewings for agents in future. This one does it because they're an online letting agent with a main office in London and the closest to property in Coventry so can't get proper letting agents out to do the job.
Can you download the brochure from the letting agent ,should have all the information you need on it .

robert d

Site Supporter
You can but you need to check the rental T&C's as if you make changes and things go wrong then you could be liable to pay for any damages.
Yes but a trap will cost less than a tenner ,just check it for leaks and replace if the owner wants the old one back on

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I found the outlet for the washing machine in this property by looking for it myself. Otherwise any questions I tell the viewer to call the agent. That's why I moan about doing this job as it's not easy unless you have access to the information, that's why I tell them to call the agent. Does not help that viewers expect you to know things. I don't think I would be liable for anything as I tell them to call the agent. On my inventories I have a legal disclaimer that they might not be accurate.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You often get people showing keen interest but once they've left they then either make an offer, make demands, or decide not to bother.
Then you get the 'professional' house viewers who just want to have a nosey round with no intentions.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I get a lot of people try to 'barter' with me on the rental price, so they get my standard response of "call the agent to discuss with them". Though I do a lot of viewings in the evening when the agent are shut so they get stressed they have to call in the morning as they want the property now!

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter

You should be able to find out the Council Tax Band for any property here.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I get a lot of people try to 'barter' with me on the rental price, so they get my standard response of "call the agent to discuss with them". Though I do a lot of viewings in the evening when the agent are shut so they get stressed they have to call in the morning as they want the property now!
Are you a self-employed "Viewing Accompanier" then?
When I was an estate agency based financial adviser, they used to employ a couple of retired fellas to show people round empty houses. Paid them £3 a visit.

rudd

Site Supporter
The property may be a money laundering front with fake tenants going through the books.
The owner may be looking for a (un)suitable tenant to house sit the place rent free.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’m there now. I run an inventory company but this agent contracts out viewings to me usually when I already have the keys. £15 an hour but very boring as no one has turned up yet and I’m booked to wait here for two hours so reading MD on my phone to pass time.

CluelessFishing

Site Supporter
You often get people showing keen interest but once they've left they then either make an offer, make demands, or decide not to bother.
Then you get the 'professional' house viewers who just want to have a nosey round with no intentions.
sink kickers ? :ROFLMAO:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Had two viewers in the first hour and not many questions and seem to understand how to apply which is good. One thing is though all viewers apart from one or two have been foreign so sometimes a bit of a language barrier!

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
My mate was once selling a small terrace house he’d modernised. He had a viewing and gotnthere early to bang the heating on. The family turned up on time and he waited outside while they viewed. They came said they liked it and would make an offer. Happy, he went in the lock up and turn the heating off and found one of them had taken a dump on the bathroom floor. Dirty scum