Tale of the Unexpected

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Wednesday afternoon the decision was made that Thursday was to be a session on the Lower Severn just below Worcester.Rucksack was duly lightened of “not needed”,bait prepared and car loaded.Thursday morning saw me arrive at the river at 6.30 and the car park already had three cars in it.

First three pegs were all taken but the anglers reported nothing much happening and the river was strangely quiet of activity. This is something I reported on the Severn thread from my last visit and it's very unusual for fish not to be topping and the preds chasing the fry/small fish.
Anyway it's what you make it and by 7am my standard two rod set-up was fishing with my primary rod with groundbait feeder and hookbaits of pellet,meat/meatballs,worms if struggling.The second pred rod was set-up to fish the tree cover with small ½ deads and worms.

By 12pm I had not had the slightest touch on either rod and had constantly rang the changes for everything I could think of. Had a walk to the top of the bank and they had all gone.The sun was out and didn't fancy going home so decided that an afternoon on the club fishery would be a nice change and I would have to make do with what I had. I was there by 12.45

The fishery has three pools with one being full of carp to 10lb (bores me silly),a silvers that's nice in the Winter and a nice mixed pool that has a stock of everything, is not full of carp,they can be very moody and do grow to 27lb (pool record).It also has a couple of pike to keep the stocks down and some massive eels to 8lb (netted two years ago)
The mixed pool was chosen as I caught my largest carp of 21-4 from it last season and there were four rods on it all in the slightly deeper water and I suspect they chose these pegs as this is where the carp and rudd were basking. Pleasantries were given and established they were not catching much.
Prefer to have some peace so made my way to the shallower end that only had the odd carp on the surface but a little breeze blowing into the side and rippling the water.

The groundbait feeder was replaced with an inline coil,with a 4” Reflo 5lb hook length and size 12 hook. I made the hair fairly long as bait was to be a whole meatball or 12/14mm pellet.The groundbait was added to with some Method mix to make it sticky,a pint of Hali pellets was added along with a tin of corn and it's juice.
The session was to be until 6pm and after the first hour of nothing I had my doubts I would still be there then.

Anyway so as to not bore you longer than usual I did fish until six and my final tally was nine carp and all caught on single meatball. The thing is I or none of the guys I go with have ever caught more than 7 in a day so today was an achievement for that.

It was special for another reason though as in those 9 fish I had five doubles which included breaking my pb twice with two twenties of 21-8 (Mirror) & 22-4 (Common) this was backed up with 16-8,11-6,10-12.
The other fish were all around the 8 to 10lb mark.

I don't normally write much about my angling adventures unless on the Severn thread but today was a bit special due to the way it all unfolded.
It goes to show you just don't know and it's what you make it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Cheers lads - I am absolutely buzzing
Two twenties in a short session and on the Barbel rod - the river blanks won't matter for a while now. From a fairly small pool as well

3.jpg

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Cheers @bezzer
That's three 20lb Carp and a double figure Severn Barbel in the past 12 months on the mighty meatball (bait of champions :ROFLMAO: ) and my PB Tench of 5-12lb (early 90s) was also on the 'ball.

Tesco meatballs 60p a tin of 12 baits - cheap and deadly (y)

Bezz ssshh let's keep it our secret :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: