Taking my dad fishing

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
IMG-20210511-WA0000.jpg he's happy as Larry, racing pages and being fussed over, he reckons life don't get much better. 😍
Love him 👍. My grandad was a cheeky bugger when he went into hospital. You’d hear him say things like .... “ I seem to be getting a bit stiff nurse, would you mind giving me a good rub ? “. 😳🤣. The nurses just rolled their eyes and laughed. Me or you Dave would get a slap. It’s amazing what you can get away with as you get older. Bless him. Hope all goes well matey. 🤞

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Love him 👍. My grandad was a cheeky bugger when he went into hospital. You’d hear him say things like .... “ I seem to be getting a bit stiff nurse, would you mind giving me a good rub ? “. 😳🤣. The nurses just rolled their eyes and laughed. Me or you Dave would get a slap. It’s amazing what you can get away with as you get older. Bless him. Hope all goes well matey. 🤞
Cheers mate, you're right about the age thing, I took him round lidl's in his wheelchair and he was on the point of arranging a date with the checkout lass when I dragged him away😘

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Cheers mate, you're right about the age thing, I took him round lidl's in his wheelchair and he was on the point of arranging a date with the checkout lass when I dragged him away😘
At least summat still works. His mind. His mind .... ya dirty buggers. 🤣🤣👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
One of the pleasures of being a pensioner mate. You can blame your age and get away with it. ;)

Silver fan 82

My Dad has never fished, he says he did a little bit when he was a kid but never in my lifetime.
My Grandad was a very keen sea angler when he was younger but doesn't go anymore as he is practically housebound now. I never got the chance to fish with either of them. Make the most of every opportunity you get.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I tried to teach my Dad fly fishing. His Parkinson's had taken a good grip by then. He was willing to try though. After a day of tuition this was the best he could manage, there was no way I was going to let him loose with a fly attached. I decided that I would cast and he could retrieve, safer for everyone really.

View attachment Dad Casting.mp4

So, given that he was not up to it physically, casting by me was provided and he took the rod from my hand and just concentrated on the retrieve.
Soon he was into a trout, a somewhat emaciated one granted but his first and last fish on the fly.
Dads Trout.jpg

I wish we had done this years ago he said. The excitement switched his Parkinson's back on and we had to leave before he became immobile. That was the last time I ever went fishing with my Dad.