Taking my dad fishing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It was mentioned in another thread that I probably 'caught' because I took my dad with me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. :LOL: Whenever I take my dad fishing we don't catch anything, I'm beginning to think he is jinxed! I would love for him to catch, watching him catch his first Barbel from the Severn was a moment to treasure. I looked up and his rod was in the air and bent over, said he'd been playing the fish for a few minutes before I noticed. Only a small one but a fish to remember. I tried to take a photo on my his phone but couldn't get the camera to operate.

Most important thing is that I get to go fishing with my dad and spend some time with him, but does anyone else have 'jinxed' fishing partners?

We're going Crucian fishing next week and there's a lot of Roach and Perch in there so I've told him to his relief that he's guaranteed at least a bite, but sods law is that it won't happen.

Dogbert

I took my girlfriend fishing last Sunday. to a pond where I have done well in the past few weeks. We both blanked.

She managed to break two reels, one which was a small fixed spool from Lidl, which I had bought especially for her. The other was my Diawa Harrier 123m. I regret my comment to her, "try this one, its virtually idiot proof". Little did I realise that she would regard it as a challenge.

We used punched bread. She doesn't want to use maggots or worms. I showed her how to put the small bread disk on the hook with the hook point showing. Unknown to me she decided to change the presentation and mold the punched bread around the hook, completely hiding the point of the hook. On the way home in the car she explained that she was sure she had had a few bites but couldn't hit them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Robwooly

I've taken my dad for the three decades and before that he used to take me fishing. Sometimes he doesn't catch much even on easy waters, often to the extent that I wonder how he does it. I don't think he's jinxed though I just think he's just happy to be out fishing with his 'boy' still. As a result he doesn't care if he catches little as long as there's a few bites, what a wonderful mindset to have.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It took my dad 5 or 6 goes to catch a Barbel but to be fair to him the times we did go were in adverse conditions, he won't wait it out if he's not catching so will only stay for 3 or so hours but does enjoy fishing natural venues.

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
I lost my dad on Easter Sunday. He took me fishing with him from the age of 7 (I'm now 63). In the past few years I returned the favour taking him on fishing holidays and weekly fishing trips. Great times, the memories will stay with me. Priceless

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's really strange, I won't say I haven't shed any tears because I have but the vast majority of times I think about him I smile.
We had some really fun times, he was my best mate and we spent a lot of time laughing with each other and those are the memories I keep. They make me smile (y)
I’m dreading the day. Love my dad to bits but, he’s getting on in his days now. Fit as a fiddle but, you never know do you. Mind, some days I could throttle him.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Worst than taking my dad is letting the missus have a go. She’s had a rod license for years but, only has a dabble when I’m fishing. Usually a quick couple of drop ins as I’m packing up but, that’s enough let me tell you. The amount of times she’s cast in only to hook the biggest fish of the session. It’s got to the point where I hate to ask whether she wants the last few casts of the day. It must be those pheromones that ladies have. I don’t know but, big fish are certainly attracted to her. 🙄

tunna

It's really strange, I won't say I haven't shed any tears because I have but the vast majority of times I think about him I smile.
We had some really fun times, he was my best mate and we spent a lot of time laughing with each other and those are the memories I keep. They make me smile (y)
Sorry to hear that Jim keep thinking of those good times mate,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One thing with my dad, makes me realise I need reading glasses, when I'm tying a knotless knot and threading the line or going through pole float silicon, he will stand behind me and tell me "you're miles off". :LOL: I didn't always get on with him as well as I do now but that was my fault and at the moment I depend on him for a lot of stuff.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Worst than taking my dad is letting the missus have a go. She’s had a rod license for years but, only has a dabble when I’m fishing. Usually a quick couple of drop ins as I’m packing up but, that’s enough let me tell you. The amount of times she’s cast in only to hook the biggest fish of the session. It’s got to the point where I hate to ask whether she wants the last few casts of the day. It must be those pheromones that ladies have. I don’t know but, big fish are certainly attracted to her. 🙄
You must be a big fish then Mick, or perhaps a Big Cheese.🥰🤣

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Well there you go Mick. Just smother yourself in Bream slime and have an early night (nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more). :LOL:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My trips with Ken, my dad, are well documented on here. At 92, he doesn't fish any more but he likes nothing more than to reminisce about our previous exploits. He was took into hospital on Monday with low blood pressure and various other things. We all feared the worst but, yesterday, he's singing and flirting with the nurses and should be home tomorrow.😀

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As most will know most my fishing is with my grandad but my dad does still fish a bit just not as much as he used to. If it involves a boat he'll pretty much always come with me though. Not so much on charter trips but on friends or rental boats home or abroad he'll come with me almost every every time and he loves going out on our little boat on the Thames. Think he likes the sense of adventure as much as the fishing when a boats involved. For plain old on the bank coarse fishing he doesn't come that often anymore though, only really if we go away for a few days somewhere save for the odd session on home waters. By contrast my grandad's with me on at least 3/4 of my sessions regardless of the type of fishing.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My trips with Ken, my dad, are well documented on here. At 92, he doesn't fish any more but he likes nothing more than to reminisce about our previous exploits. He was took into hospital on Monday with low blood pressure and various other things. We all feared the worst but, yesterday, he's singing and flirting with the nurses and should be home tomorrow.😀
Flirting with the nurses. 🤣🤣. Go on lad. 👍