This afternoon I received an email with the subject line "A exite game"

The body of the email read:

"Hello,This is a very excite game
This game is my first work.
You're the first player.
I wish you would like it.
"

And it came with an attachment called "play.exe"

If you receive anything like this delete it and do not open it.

Regards, Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks for the warning RED LEADER.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Alnath

I presume there is a virus or a worm in it? Grisoft have released a new set of signatures for AVG so this should be covered.

I think AVG is in the downloads but just as a reminder its an excellent and free (in UK) AV scanner available from http://www.grisoft.com

Its not what you have got, it's how you use it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Dave - was the copy of play.exe you got infected?

There are several legit programs by that name (one does animations, one does MIDI playbacks) and I can't fine any mention of a virus that delivers a payload by that name.

I suppose one of the Klez variants could do what you describe since it has a pretty broad range of messages and attachment names but I wasn't aware it ever left anything with the .exe ending on it.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Newt,

I received the same email three times after making the post all to different addresses within the maggotdrowning domain. They all had the same .exe file attachment.
My AV is set to use Heuristics and threw up an alert but as you say there is no record of this as a virus in the checks that I have made. It does have some similarities to a few previous ones though.

So just excercising caution as there are a few 'bored' people around with wierd senses of humour

Dave

Alnath

Heuristic scanning is an excellent idea but it does tend to throw up quite a few false positives, still it is best to be on the safe side isnt it?

Its not what you have got, it's how you use it

Status
Not open for further replies.