Take Away Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

Usually I make my own highly spiced and flavoured curries but we have tried a couple of takeaway meals recently and have been disapointed, the food looks lovely and colourful and its all packaged in nice containers etc but they are virtually tasteless compared to what we are used to.[:(]
Both times we ordered from places recomended by friends who described them as the best theyd ever had!

The curries I make are "authentic" Indian or Pakistani dishes and my first curry was made under the instructions of an Asian friends wife.

So my question is this, is take away food dumbed down for the English palate? It seems so to me and the duchess.[:0]

I know some places do authentic dishes one such place being "Sagars" on Mansfield Road Nottingham but alas hes too far away for a delivery to our home[:(]

john83

Account Locked
I think you are right don, authentic curries wouldn't sell so well, especially to people wanting one after a skinful.

homemade curries are much tastier and healthier anyway.

norm

i sometimes think that you can not beat the takeaways

until i tried a cheap Sherwood's i think it was , almost blow my head off (madras)

trav trying to work out what the hell you on about lol

(by the way 25lb tonight canal in 2 hours)

Enigma

Armchair Carper
There is no such thing as an authentic "Curry" as the word curry is an English word - I think the nearest word to Curry that is authentic is Kori meaning pot or cooked ina pot.

Chicken Tikka Masala I think was invented in Glasgow or Bradford - I'm sure someone on here will correct me.

And yes food is changed for the english palate. The best example of this is the chinese take away - most of that stuff is about as chinese as well me to be frank....

Last edited:

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
LOL, Don you are way off the mark mate.[;)]

Cleggy's Home Made is the same to "take out" as it is to "eat in" LOL[:D][:D]

Don, if you were to order a "good 'un" in a restaurant the only difference between that and a take away version of the same dish, should be, a container rather than a plate.[:D][:D]

Norm, SHARWOODS not sherwoods LOL, I find PATAKS more to my liking.[:D][:D]

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I went for a Chinese in Chinatown, San Francisco.
I deliberately looked for something low-key, with lots of chinese in - a local shop for local people [:)]

It was packed and I was the only face that wasn't Chinese. The menu was in Chinese, with English badly translated underneath.

The food I had was nothing like you would get in the UK. Half a chicken, bones and all, chucked in a bowl with a load of wierd veg and some spices.

Definitely not as prepared and "pretty" as you would find over here.
I think I'll stick with Mr Q's in Yateley

norm

Benji
just one press of the button and its bye bye Benji lol

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
"Take away curry"

I see it as a request. [:)]

Curry??? ..... POO YUK! [xx(]

[;)][:D]

Now a good CHILLI is a whole different kettle of fish.

kleinboet

When I lived in South africa, we had an area where the shops were all indian, that included about 4 resturants. We had a friend who could speak Urdu fluently and we would go and have a curry on a regular basis. He would tell them (in Urdu) that he wanted the curry that they were eating in the back, not the c**p they served the others - lovely grub.
By the way the Indians (don't know about the other Asians) make only one strength of curry and it is eaten with the hands. If the curry is too strong, you take more rice and less curry, and vice versa.

jbfzoo

Thanks for the tip about Sagars, will try it out.Indian food in UK is about as authentic as an English fish and chip shop would be in Bombay.
When back home we live 30 miles from the border of southern Mexico (my father in law is mexican) so our food is heavily influenced by Mexico. I went in a Mexican resteraunt in london a couple of weeks ago only to find the stuff was coming out of tins and packets such as El Paso brand not made from scratch.

John

Rich Rev

Yorkshire's finest
For take away Curries, try Moonlight Tandoori on Cottingham road in Hull, brilliant. I'm a time served Curry club member who even lived in Leicester for 9 yrs, so feel well qualified to comment; and in case you ask, "yes I have been to India"
though I will add this caveat: most take away venues are at best mediocre, though so are a lot of actual resturants who cater for the CTM pallet[}:)]

chris w

pc problem solver
Originally posted by Benji

Originally posted by norm

Benji

But Worm you don't have that power [:p]

are you sure you want to take that chance benji i wouldnt want to

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by chris w

Originally posted by Benji

Originally posted by norm

Benji

But Worm you don't have that power [:p]

are you sure you want to take that chance benji i wouldnt want to

Poke the grim reaper with a sharp stick, and then runaway thats always been my life motto, sometimes the grim reaper has got a bit to close, but we still keep kind of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.