Tailgaters .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhorian

Tailgaters ... how do you deal with 'em ? .... I was just trundling round the ring road today at just a touch under 30 and following the traffic when before I know it I've a chap in a Focus following me and he's about the thickness of a strip of sticking plaster away from my back bumper ....pedestrian nips across the road two cars ahead so we all touch our brakes .... I thought I'd collected the bloke in the Focus but 'no' he just about made it but looking at his face in the rear view mirror - well it was contorted to say the least - what is it with some drivers ? eventually I got fed up and pulled into a side street to let him go harrass someone else .... jeez is it the weather or something that gets to people like that ? ... maybe he had an emergency or something - I dunno - but he'd no chance of making it thro' with the volume of traffic on the ring road ..... just bewildering behaviour to my mind ....

bigdavewsf

turn your headlights on as you excelerate slightly ...they see the red light and instinctivly brake (hopefully)....off you go

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Depends on what mood I'm in.

Slow down gradually
Put on the rear fog lights
Keeping flashing the brake light

They get the idea eventually

bloomer

fishing monster
keeping the accelerator down i tap the brakes left footed to light the brake lights, see how fast they back off!!!

brasem

Wear Champ 2011
Originally posted by bloomer

keeping the accelerator down i tap the brakes left footed to light the brake lights, see how fast they back off!!!

I'm with bloomer on this one, if you can watch the face its usually very funny.

Slowing down works, but you have to be ready to speed up anywhere they can overtake, making sure to slow down again when they can't[}:)]

me

speed up and stop holding the traffic up

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Hazard lights, At the end of the day it is a hazard. Just flick them on off repeatedly.

waddy

I think you did the right thing pulling over . That's the answer I had from an instructor on a speed awareness course when he was asked how he dealt with tailgaters .
If you think about it , you remain calm and collected and they remain a w#nker .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't get them but then again if you saw the size of my towbar and hitch there's not many who'd like it stuck through their radiator [:D]

greentura

Greenie
i have a ambulance style reflective back on my discovery and they seem to either hang back or at least slow down when they see it. as for the tailgater's, big tow bar, ball and pin type, and liberal use of fog lights while putting the V8 to work and watching them disappear in the rear view mirror [;)]

Dannysdad

Guv
Don't do anything......just keep driving the way you were and sod'em! You weren't doing anything wrong so let them worry about it and............if he clips you get down to Claims Direct and book a holiday :)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Just slow down and let them past. I'd rather they have their accident elsewhere.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
stand on your bakes as hard as you can................... its even better if you have a towbar [}:)]

Then again i suppose its down to how much your car is worth, i never pay over 250 for mine if i can help it so i guess i don't lose as much as some people do

nrayner

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

Just slow down and let them past. I'd rather they have their accident elsewhere.

You'll never reach your destination then. It seems to me that 75% of drivers have had a lobotomy.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by bloomer

I once did that on the M62, to a wagon which was tailgating me in the inside lane in thick fog.
He swerved, slammed his brakes on, and damn near jack-knifed the thing.
It's not worth it, I'll just leave at the next junction, then rejoin the motorway.

Shez

Buy a faster car than them!

If they are sat right on your rear bumper and right over in the right hand side of the lane just move over towards the left hand side a bit more and show them the road in front and where they could be if it wasn't for you being in their way, always works!
Stop at junctions / roundabouts just that little bit longer than needed is another good wind-up trick, especially if you can pull out at the last minute and have a long line of cars coming!
Leave a larger gap than usual if you're parked in traffic, that way they are 6ft further away from home.
Drive at the same speed as the car in the lane next to you on dual carriageways.

Oh god I am evil! :D

Col7777

I know it's been said many times before but how many have someone overtook you and give you that look as though you are the Muppet.
Then a mile down the road you slowly pull up behind them as they are stuck in a queue or stopped at the lights.

Even then most of them don't get the message.

crumpercatcher

Stand on the brakes, they should leave sufficient space to be able to stop should the vehicle in front need to stop. I did cause a pile up on the M1 once doing this. My tailgater was rear ended by his tailgater as I slowed from 70 to 50 as everyone in front started anchoring on. I chuckled while observing one bird brain run in the back of another bird brain in my rear view mirror and carried on my journey.

Or if I have someone up my chuff who is obviously being a front bum, I slow down from 30 to 20 and let every car out of every junction I approach. Once my tailgater has finished honking their horn, driving with full beams on inches from my bumper and waving, well it looks a bit like a waving hand motion. I wave back, smile sweetly and start blowing them kisses.

crowder

Just pull the handbrake up. Then they won't know your braking.

chrishowe425

Originally posted by crowder

Just pull the handbrake up. Then they won't know your braking.

Some brake lights still come on when you pull the handbrake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.