Tactics for Winter Barbel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apache

I am desperately in need for some advice and tips onhow to catch winter barbel, as anything I try at the moment doesnt seem to do anything. I fish a small to medium sized river with a weirpool and fast and slow stretches. If anyone could give me some tips on how to set up a good rig, and where to fish it, I wouldf be very grateful.
Thanks and Happy Christmas.

:) Apache :)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

scouse

'River Man'
hi m8
you dont mention what river[?]
let me know i might be able
to help[;)]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

angler-mark

Hi Apache, Try looking on www.braddocksbaits.co.uk it covers all types of rigs and baits for catching Barbel in winter or summer.

Tight Lines

Mark

chubber

hi m8,
just like other times of year location is the key, depends a lot on the level this time of year try elstons armchair pegs over the stile and dont over cast, fish large solitary baits with just a few smaller freebies expect the fishing to be slow but the fish to be large as there putting on weight ready for breeding.
chubber

fishing_mad

hi i dont know the area but why not try a watch lead covered it trout pellet paste with a 2 foot hook length of 10 pound braid with a john baker frost and flood boilie hair-rigged on a size 10-8 hook and a lump of paste moulded around the boilie try that it will pobably get you a fish

:)Fishing Mad:)

fishing_mad

also try some homemade boilie's heres a recipee that might work

2-eggs
2 oz-fish meal
2-table spoons of honey
3 oz-trout pellet powder(ground trout pellet)

mix the dry contents then add the honey to 1 egg and put that in the dry content and mix until you get a thick paste if the paste is not like a paste add the other egg but one egg should be enough then boil for 2 to 2 and a half minutes then place in a wash bag or on a mushroom box until they dry out and then there ready to use the best time to use them is the next day or net two days .good luck

:)Fishing Mad:)

everyready

i fish the seven and dynamite baits /meaty fish bites seam to get more fish. it is hook size luncheon meat with attactant in it at under 2 a tin .watch out as some of the fish take the bait well down due to size of bait as they dont mess around when feeding on this

Apache

Its the River Loddon in Berkshire, not a huge river and not a tiny river. And thanks everyone

http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com/images/clevr_leather-m2.jpg

Andy Thatcher

While I have fished the Loddon I am by no means an expert but I know a few blokes that are [;)] Have a word with Trogg and he'll tell you where they frequent as I am not having him banging on my door, yes he knows my address !

I would suggest for bait either Elips Pellets or make up some spicy meat. As with all barbel rivers there are a couple of ways you can go about catching either the bait and wait approach or you can go find them.

If you are new to barbelling I really would go and find them as this will give you experience of the swims they visit and teach you more of the water. Nothing tricky in this just spend 5 - 10 minutes in every swims you like the look of with either a large lump of meat, I mean large 3" at least, on a size 2 or 4 in coloured water and small bits of meat, 1/2 inch or so, on a 6.

Hang onto that rod as when they bite they do so properly !

Cheers
Andy

Apache

Many thanks everyone, and I'll try and fine trogg andy. Much apreciated.

http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com
http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com/images/clevr_leather-m2.jpg

TINY

Tiny
Trogg aint hard to find.Just put something about him on the site and HE will find YOU.

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trogg wears panty hose.

(will that do it do you think?) [}:)]

Newt Vail

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Doesn't look like it Newt. If you try using your imagination instead of sticking to facts that might provoke a response I suppose.

[}:)]

AlanP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.