Tactics for avoiding carp on mixed fisheries?

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I was a happy bunny yesterday, landing my best ever carp. I wasn't fishing for carp and whilst i'd taken some precautions, it left me somewhat nervous about the possibility of hooking into a really large one.

The waters I'm fishing are mixed, but some large carp are present. My catch was around 12lb but I know they run to 20lb in that lake and the larger end of that scale might well give me problems on my feeder even with its heavier tip, or my float rod for that matter.

My gear for the feeder is a decent 3000 series reel, 11ft quiver with 2 or 3oz tip, 6/8lb mainline to a 4/5lb bottom. Hook size 14. I was fishing short hair rigged meat in a 5mm cube on a hybrid feeder filled with sweetened coarse pellets and hookbait samples. I also often fish 6mm pellet and double corn. My float rod has a 2500 reel, 6lb mainline with a 4lb bottom but I'd like to go lighter.

Because of the carp, I'm reluctant to go below a 4lb bottom and I think it's affecting my ability to target other species, certainly silvers. I've had carp to 8lb in that lake with just a single 6mm pellet and also single grain of corn. Hungry blighters apparently.

I certainly don't want to offend carp anglers, but how do I go about avoiding them if I want to catch more of a variety of species? Fishing mid water is one method I thought of, but then I'm ruling out tench and bream, am I not? Tench is my favourite species and I tried to balanced my tackle around them, but with feeding habits similar to carp, it's difficult to target them and go just a touch lighter.

I'd be grateful for some advice if anyone can help.

Thank you

mimississ

Site Supporter
Eyup martinWY.... the simple answer is u can't avoid them,,, that's why they come with the name PUDDLE PIGS,,,!!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If it’s sensibly stocked with them it should be fairly easy to avoid them with traditional baits like maggot, hemp, caster, punched bread etc. If it’s stuffed with them though there’s not much you can do. The aforementioned baits will help a bit but no way of completely avoiding them if there’s too many in there. You can definitely go lighter on the gear though. On the float 3lb mainline and 2.5lb hooklengths will still landing you a few decent fish and 4lb mainline and 3lb hooklengths will land you most of them. 6lb mainline 4lb hooklength is sensible on the feeder but dropping to a 3lb could help/not do much harm provided it’s not a fixed rig.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
My experience of a mixed fishery has taught me that the silvers tend not to be line shy. Therefore 0.13 (4-12) Reflo Power is my chosen hooklength in Summer, 0.10 in Winter. On that I have caught everything from small roach to near ten pound carp. Most days on the water concerned I will have many more silvers than carp.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
why do people insist on such stupid terms as "puddle pigs" its stupid, gets on my tits how people knock certain types of fish and fishing, if its not your cup of tea then fine but why oh why use such derogatory terms? just makes you look stupid! let people fish how they want, as long as they respect the fish, the environment and the wildlife and do not break the rules then what harm are they doing?

especially in this bloody day and age where people are getting labelled left, right and center!

back to teh original post, you cant avoid them full stop as they like most fish will eat almost anything so just enjoy your silver fishing and if your catching then it goes quiet it may be a big fish or a predator has turned up so cast to a different area or try and catch the bigger fish.

John Step

Site Supporter
Like N of the N said, if its got a lot of carp in the water then the silvers are not likely to be tackle shy. Provided its not snaggy then a high tec 4lb + bottom will be ok for the odd accidental carp.

The other approach is to fish a single maggot, piece of hemp or tare etc on one of those small VERY fine barbless hooks that bend out when you hook a carp on fine roach tackle. I have use this method with some success. I have a supply of these hooks which are red and I think they are meant for bloodworm fishing. Size 22s ! I can even bend them back after being straightened by a carp.

mimississ

Site Supporter
Yes John that's the way to go,,, fine wire hook,, don't know about a single maggot,, cos a pond that I fish they just hoover maggots up by the pint anyway,,, its just near an impossibility really

Dusty

Site Supporter
I was a happy bunny yesterday, landing my best ever carp. I wasn't fishing for carp and whilst i'd taken some precautions, it left me somewhat nervous about the possibility of hooking into a really large one.

The waters I'm fishing are mixed, but some large carp are present. My catch was around 12lb but I know they run to 20lb in that lake and the larger end of that scale might well give me problems on my feeder even with its heavier tip, or my float rod for that matter.

My gear for the feeder is a decent 3000 series reel, 11ft quiver with 2 or 3oz tip, 6/8lb mainline to a 4/5lb bottom. Hook size 14. I was fishing short hair rigged meat in a 5mm cube on a hybrid feeder filled with sweetened coarse pellets and hookbait samples. I also often fish 6mm pellet and double corn. My float rod has a 2500 reel, 6lb mainline with a 4lb bottom but I'd like to go lighter.

Because of the carp, I'm reluctant to go below a 4lb bottom and I think it's affecting my ability to target other species, certainly silvers. I've had carp to 8lb in that lake with just a single 6mm pellet and also single grain of corn. Hungry blighters apparently.

I certainly don't want to offend carp anglers, but how do I go about avoiding them if I want to catch more of a variety of species? Fishing mid water is one method I thought of, but then I'm ruling out tench and bream, am I not? Tench is my favourite species and I tried to balanced my tackle around them, but with feeding habits similar to carp, it's difficult to target them and go just a touch lighter.

I'd be grateful for some advice if anyone can help.

Thank you

Hi mate,

My initial thoughts upon reading this is that the baits you are using are ones I would certainly associate more with carp. 6mm pellet and double corn are carp baits to me.

Have you tried using smaller hookbaits such as 4mm pellet, maggot, caster etc? I quite often fish 4mm pellet on the hook for a mixed bag but a swap to 6mm slows the silvers bites right down and attracts carp instead.

Maybe fish one line with micros and a 4mm banded pellet and then go for another line with a hemp/caster or maggot approach?

I’d also echo what @Silverfisher said, your feeder setup should me adequate to land carp into double figures in my opinion if played correctly.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
why do people insist on such stupid terms as "puddle pigs" its stupid, gets on my tits how people knock certain types of fish and fishing, if its not your cup of tea then fine but why oh why use such derogatory terms? just makes you look stupid! let people fish how they want, as long as they respect the fish, the environment and the wildlife and do not break the rules then what harm are they doing?

especially in this bloody day and age where people are getting labelled left, right and center!

back to teh original post, you cant avoid them full stop as they like most fish will eat almost anything so just enjoy your silver fishing and if your catching then it goes quiet it may be a big fish or a predator has turned up so cast to a different area or try and catch the bigger fish.
Hi Ginge, you tell `em boy !! :rolleyes:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
im fed up of the bloody human race at this moment in time but i am not calling every human a "totally retarded dog turd who has their head up their own ass" am i! theres no point making derogatory remarks for no reason

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Targeted roach shallow on caster last night as one of our commercials has some lovely roach in. Carp came in as they do, scattered the roach and grabbed my caster. I didn't mind. I just played them out. In fact playing angry 5 - 7lb commons on 0.85 bottom was quite entertaining. Keeps you fit. 😆👍

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
Targeted roach shallow on caster last night as one of our commercials has some lovely roach in. Carp came in as they do, scattered the roach and grabbed my caster. I didn't mind. I just played them out. In fact playing angry 5 - 7lb commons on 0.85 bottom was quite entertaining. Keeps you fit. 😆👍
Even more fun on a pole with light elastic :)

JayD

If you ever find a bait that they will avoid, please let me know, I've been trying for the last 20 years with no luck!

I do what others have suggested, and use fine wire hooks and pull to straighten if I'm after roach, rudd, bream etc. It has cost me several hooks per session, where carp are prolific, but better than leaving a hook in their mouths.
Now I try to avoid those waters completely in summer, and just fish the club lakes occasionally in winter.

John.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Maybe you will just have to fish 'through' them? In other words catch them and hope other species, Tench and Bream, turn up. :)

I'd like to target the Big Bream at one commercial I fish and have a few ideas, involving location and feeding, but they're not Carp Proof. Doing this last year fishing with my dad when the Bream did turn up we had 50lb of them each in under 2 hours that made our day.

But a lot will depend on the individual venue.

JLK

Mix some 50/50 match method groundbait up into a really damp soft consistency. Not quite slop but a bit firmer like a firm paste mix.
Keep feeding a walnut sized ball on a line specifically to draw carp in..at 10 o'clock from your fishing position. On the same line at 2oclock. Feed a pinkie line and fish a single pinkie on a size 22. This should help you avoid the carp and catch some of the resident silver fish. 👍