Tactical advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

flukebox

Gonna take the kids fishing this weekend

It's a pond i used to fish as a nipper, but things have changed a bit to say the least

When i fished it, it was simple, bit of mashed up bread with breadflake over the top, and when the light begins to fade stick some crust or a dog biscuit on, jobs a goodun

Apparently now, bread is banned, as is all floating baits, funking winkers at the local tackle shop wouldn't sell a pellet otherwise

So how to approach the lake?

The place has a fair head of carp in it which is my quarry, but they are on the top at this time of year ... but no floating baits!

So its gonna have to be a float with short hooklength but what to feed?

i was sat by the lake before the last england game with my missus and was chucking crisps into the carp who were lapping it up along with the crusts from my sandwiches so they still love it and will feed in the midday sun, but nobody else on the lake was catching and they were all ledgering

im thinking of some liquidised corn in some breadcrumb and a grain of corn, or a few husks, on the hook about 1 foot below a little float

but what would you do on a fairly shallow, 5foot in most places, lake where the fish are on top but floating baits are banned

need help cos i havent floatfished in years lol

any help appreciated [:T]

p.s. im not keen on using pellets beneath a float i dont know why it just seems alien to me [B)]

jambo1401

Beastmaster
Could try a lump of fibrepaste fished shallow, i have used this a lot lately with good results. It looks a lot like a piece of soggy bread in the water. I know you said you are not keen on fishing pellets shallow but it could be a good method if the carp are near the top and floaters are banned.

Good luck and hope you all have a great day.

wwonder

Fish 12" deep, single maggot on hook and continuosly spray magotts around the float.
Dont watch the float but position the rod at 45 degrees (similar to leger) and wait until the tip wraps around
Do Not take your eyes of the rod though or you may lose it!! [;)]

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Banded pellet and feed pellet over the top.
You may not be keen on them, but it's cheap and effective

flukebox

thanks for the suggestions lads [:T]

Jambo - I've not tried fibrepaste mate but if it looks like bread im sure someone would complain and i think i'd rather just use bread if it came to it hehehe naughty i know!

i'll look into it though i like new things as much as old things [:W]

WWonder - Was thinking of something similar myself, thats a definate maybe [:D] might put the maggots in some water to make em a bit more bouyant so they stay high in the water longer too, good tinking batman!

Shadow - you mean the cheesy variety? hmmmmm i rike it! but what are shot droppers? please excuse my ignorance

got a link or something to this technique mate? i've searched the web and all i get are worm jigging rig diagrams lol

i'm also thinking of zig rigging a chum mixer just below surface, dye em black so they look like pellets lol

keep em suggestions coming lads i know with your help i'll make the day a success!

success = all of us return home, dry and alive [:T]

shadow12345

the cheese ones... and shot dropper, should read dropper shot. Opps, just mean a enough weights to sink the crisp.

wwonder

Originally posted by wwonder

Fish 12" deep, single maggot on hook and continuosly spray magotts around the float.
Dont watch the float but position the rod at 45 degrees (similar to leger) and wait until the tip wraps around
Do Not take your eyes of the rod though or you may lose it!! [;)]

Another alternative (but a bit more expensive) is Casters
Keep the 'Dark ones' aside for hookbait as they are more bouyant [:T]

its o-fish-al

use pellet waggler about 6-20 inches deep, pellet banded fibre paste ( trust me it works ) even though you dont like pellets they are really easy and they do the job if this fails stick with the maggot's... also maybe you could use Fake dogbiscuits and put enough shot on so they just sink slowley and kindof waft around under water hope this helps[:D]

dave the fish

Site Supporter
p.s. im not keen on using pellets beneath a float

Well if you dont like the pellets on the hook then still do as Peter says and feed 4 or 5 6mm pellet every 20 seconds but bait with mini boilies ( white chocolate ones can be good). Still use the hair rigged pellet band but drill the boilies and pull the band through so no need for boilie stops. Also still gives you the option to bait pellets if you want to.

flukebox

It'snot that i don't like using pellets guys i use em all the time for my river fishing for chubs n barbs etc

But i dont want the kids first fishing experience to be with pellet or boilies, something just doesn't seem right about it, i remember back to the first time i held a fistful of maggots and worms, what a magical experience it was lol

I'm really looking forward to a bit of float fishing now [:p]

I'm thinking spraying maggots or casters with possibly real/fake sinking maggots on the hook or worms about 6-12 inches deep

anyone here got any experience with the fake maggots? i sometimes use em to tip off other baits but never used em solely on the hook so unsure of their effectiveness

might be better off using the real deal methinks

size 16 hook with 6lb hooklength and double maggot sound about right?its been so long since i done this i cant honestly remember where to start lol and i used to win matches as a kid lolol it should be like riding a bike, you never forget, but my missus got a new bike recently and has already come off it painfully twice so that old chestnut is obviously b****x hehehe

another option of course is to get the missus to 'feed the ducks' some mashed bread in the swim before i get there .... naughty naughty! angel2.gif

keep em ideas coming i'm VERY grateful [:T]

captain boycott

I'd deffo go with maggots!
They will catch anything that swims and should keep the bites coming, just keep 'em going in over the top!
6lb mainline to 5lb hooklength if you are fishing open water (not weedy/snaggy), unless the carp are all double figure plus, then you are just gonna get smashed to bits. If the carp BIG I'd go with the ZIG (on heavier gear).

flukebox

Originally posted by shadow12345

the cheese ones... and shot dropper, should read dropper shot. Opps, just mean a enough weights to sink the crisp.

somebody else is on the shandy besides me i see [:p] [:W]

i got a big bag of plawn clackers here ill take them and give em a try for deffo, prawn taste, loads of oil, should be a winner!

i'll let you know how they go [8D]

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
I think I would try the zig rig above all else in this situation

flukebox

Originally posted by Peter

Banded pellet and feed pellet over the top.
You may not be keen on them, but it's cheap and effective

i know what you saying peter my good man, but what pellets are you thinking?

the ones ive got sink like stones lol elipse river pellets i think they are

what would you use?

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Just because you cant FLOAT the bait, doesnt mean you cant use it under the surface.
A lot of places ban floaters of any sort, especialy in matches, but people get round it by using a bouyant bait fished just under, such as floating pellet or dog biscuits, and even (as long as they re not banned too) pop up boilies.[;)]
Use a controller float, set about 2ft of line beneath and test in the margins how much shot you need to make the bait neutral bouyancy[;)]

When the fish takes the bait, you ll get the same effect as you would with a floater[:D]

flukebox

Originally posted by badpegpicker

Just because you cant FLOAT the bait, doesnt mean you cant use it under the surface.
A lot of places ban floaters of any sort, especialy in matches, but people get round it by using a bouyant bait fished just under, such as floating pellet or dog biscuits, and even (as long as they re not banned too) pop up boilies.[;)]
Use a controller float, set about 2ft of line beneath and test in the margins how much shot you need to make the bait neutral bouyancy[;)]

When the fish takes the bait, you ll get the same effect as you would with a floater[:D]

perhaps i'll use dog biscuits and squeeze em a bit so they sink REALLY slow hehe

otherwise if i have to fish on the bottom its gonna be one hell of a frustrating day catching nowt and watching the whackers cruise by ... as was the scene other day when i paid it a visit, every carp visible, nobody catching

only winner that day was the tackle shops bait profit margin .. for shame!

shadow12345

I have had many a chat with the owner of my local tackle shop who also owns one of the lakes I fish about floating baits.

His main reasons for banning floating baits is that once the fish get drawn up in the water, they are easy prey for the birds. Fair enough, lot of money in the fish and you have to be a proven angler to fish his lake anyway so everyone used to pay close attention to the surface bait.

Once the surface ban was in place he introduced a max rig length of 18 inches... people were sticking a ledger on the bottom then (having plumbed the depth) put a rig so long it was only a couple of inches under the surface. Not that im suggesting you should do that, but if the ban is surface fishing then you wouldn't be :)

flukebox

Originally posted by shadow12345

I have had many a chat with the owner of my local tackle shop who also owns one of the lakes I fish about floating baits.

His main reasons for banning floating baits is that once the fish get drawn up in the water, they are easy prey for the birds. Fair enough, lot of money in the fish and you have to be a proven angler to fish his lake anyway so everyone used to pay close attention to the surface bait.

Once the surface ban was in place he introduced a max rig length of 18 inches... people were sticking a ledger on the bottom then (having plumbed the depth) put a rig so long it was only a couple of inches under the surface. Not that im suggesting you should do that, but if the ban is surface fishing then you wouldn't be :)

hehe [:D] duly noted

i've also chatted with tackle shop guys about it and they all gave different reasons but they were all cake too

for instance, their excuse of it drawing the fish up the water ... the fish are up in the water anyway! its summer and you can see them all lol and people been floating crust their for 50 years before i even went and the fish stocks never suffered!

add to that the fact that the lakes only heron was shot and killed by some idiot about 3 weeks ago ... [:C]

i suspect all these 'reasons' stem from one thing and one thing only

a 50p loaf of bread outfishes their 'smartbaits' costing an arm and a leg ...

shadow12345

yes im sure it has nothing to do with the fact he owns the bait shop and the lake. Nothing all all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.