Tackle you've had to alter to get it to do the job you want?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Watching a recent video reminded me of the time I altered the Guru Elasticated Stems. Hated the Speed bead and swapped it for the Preston ICS Beads.

Had to use the large size to accomodate the Heavier Elastic, and this in turn meant I could no longer tie my hooklengths with my figure of 8 loop tyer anymore as the small loops were a struggle to get over the bead. I had to use a Stonfo tyer instead to make the loops larger. More fiddly and time consuming.

Guru Stems.jpg

This guy below also hates the speed beads and does it his way but what item have tackle have you had to alter to make it work for you?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had a few rods altered... mainly corks on butt sections increased... My Allcock's Wizard's butt is too short and I didn't want to extend the butt up the blank as it would have covered the makers transfers... I had a dolly butt made that fits into the threaded butt where the rubber button usually fits... and its a standard 3/8th thread so it'll fit any rod that has a rubber button fitted

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I was always Cutting and altering pellet feeders to suit what i thought the Venue.

Line Clip

Yes always messing about with feeders, stems etc at the moment trying to make a 10 gram hybrid feeder without success I may add,
always cutting the lead back on the older type feeders, but the new alloy type are hard to doctor.
My favorite feeder to alter and fine tune to what I want was the old 15 gram Preston Banjo very easy to modify
This is all a confidence thing, but its good when a plan comes together, and beat the other club lads with the doctored feeders,
but conditions on the day peg drawn etc all play apart, its just satisfying when the banter starts and they want to look at this different feeder I am using , might not have any thing to do with the feeder, but it makes me feel good.
I have bought some 15 gram Matrix Hybrid feeders, neat, small, go in with a nice plop modified them with Preston elasticated stems (jobs a good un)

Line Clip

I was always Cutting and altering pellet feeders to suit what i thought the Venue.
Do you open the pellet feeder out more by cutting the sides, I do this then cut wide grooves in the lead to lighten the feeder but also add grip for short chucks on snake lakes

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mostly pole floats with me. Although I have been experimenting with in - line cage feeders. Why ? Because the whisper is is that our club is moving to an in - line feeder rule sometime next year. About time. Although some of our older anglers won’t know what an in - line feeder is. 🙄

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have been experimenting with in - line cage feeders. Why ? Because the whisper is is that our club is moving to an in - line feeder rule sometime next year. About time. Although some of our older anglers won’t know what an in - line feeder is. 🙄
Drennan have had a range of in-line cage feeders for a good few years, Why the change in club rule Mick?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Drennan have had a range of in-line cage feeders for a good few years, Why the change in club rule Mick?
Peter mate. We have some right dinosaurs in our club. Most still fish a fixed paternoster rig from the sixties. 🙄. We’ve found dead carp that have line and feeders attached to them belly up in the margins. It’s really upsetting when you see a carp of say 2lb with all its life ahead of it dead due to something that could have been avoided. At least with an in - line feeder the fish won’t be dragging the feeder around with it. Education is what’s needed in our club. We have a lot of old anglers that are reluctant to change their ways. Sad really. 😩

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have some MAP ones Peter. It’s just I’ve been playing with my own design. Top secret mate ..... there’s only me knows they don’t work. 🤣🤣🤣

Nicky Dodds

Peter mate. We have some right dinosaurs in our club. Most still fish a fixed paternoster rig from the sixties. 🙄. We’ve found dead carp that have line and feeders attached to them belly up in the margins. It’s really upsetting when you see a carp of say 2lb with all its life ahead of it dead due to something that could have been avoided. At least with an in - line feeder the fish won’t be dragging the feeder around with it. Education is what’s needed in our club. We have a lot of old anglers that are reluctant to change their ways. Sad really. 😩
Why not just ban fixed feeder rigs? Don't make it in-line only.

rd350lc

Watching a recent video reminded me of the time I altered the Guru Elasticated Stems. Hated the Speed bead and swapped it for the Preston ICS Beads.

Had to use the large size to accomodate the Heavier Elastic, and this in turn meant I could no longer tie my hooklengths with my figure of 8 loop tyer anymore as the small loops were a struggle to get over the bead. I had to use a Stonfo tyer instead to make the loops larger. More fiddly and time consuming.

Guru Stems.jpg

This guy below also hates the speed beads and does it his way but what item have tackle have you had to alter to make it work for you?

I've modded them too , by throwing them in the bin .
I've lost fish in the past due to the top cap coming off and the loop somehow coming off of the metal hook .
I hate the thought of a fish towing a feeder around in its mouth .It's happened on at least 3 occasions and I'll never use them again .
Why should you have to pay good money and have to put things right to use it ?

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Mostly pole floats with me. Although I have been experimenting with in - line cage feeders. Why ? Because the whisper is is that our club is moving to an in - line feeder rule sometime next year. About time. Although some of our older anglers won’t know what an in - line feeder is. 🙄
An in-line feeder is one that you buy online!.........Or is that an online feeder?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why not just ban fixed feeder rigs? Don't make it in-line only.
I think what they are trying to do ( or thinking about doing ) is making it one feeder method only. Basically to make it easy for our bailiffs to identify. As if we have any bailiffs 🙄. If there’s too many variants Nicky folk will just do what they please.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've modded them too , by throwing them in the bin .
I've lost fish in the past due to the top cap coming off and the loop somehow coming off of the metal hook .
I hate the thought of a fish towing a feeder around in its mouth .It's happened on at least 3 occasions and I'll never use them again .
Why should you have to pay good money and have to put things right to use it ?
Well said that man. 👍

Maverick

Site Supporter
Never had a top cap come off one yet and have caught thousands of carp on them. Perhaps Steve Ringer will take your advice tho and throw them all in the bin :ROFLMAO: