Tackle UK are they the worst ever?

carp dundee

Ordered a fair bit of gear from them recently, all showing as in stock. Nothing arrived in the timescale they quoted, no emails nothing. Two phone calls later the items were sent but still no confirmation by email or a tracking number. Goods arrived but one third of items were not there, no reason given just a detail of a refund, no apology nothing. Telephoned and was told there were problems with their stock control and the items i wanted were all out of stock. Asked if they could order items but they said they couldnt. I could return the rest if i wanted!!! If that was my business i would be seriously worried. Bobco, Angling direct and GAC all seem a hundred times better and if rarely there is a hiccup and something isnt available they telephone straight away and discuss the options. I will vote with my feet.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Had a very similar experience a year or two ago - noticed I'd got a refund to my bank account - with no explanation or anything.
After a couple of emails they finally admitted almost everything I'd ordered was out of stock and did I mind waiting - told I did and, eventually, got a full refund - they went on my list (its not a very long one fortunately) of shops to avoid in future.

Simon

ive used tackle uk a few times and never had a problem, only problem ive ever had when buying online was with chapmans before they got took over.

Silver fan 82

Tend not to order tackle online but have ordered from angling direct before with no problems. Have browsed Bobco website and the range of stock and prices look good.

Somersetlad

Nobody gets it right all the time, even BobCo, I'm still waiting for a rod bought in the bank holiday sale, shown as in stock, but turned out to be not in stock, I don't mind waiting as I'll never beat the price anywhere else. Never had a problem with TackleUK, everytime I look at AnglingDirect, the website shows all most everything as oos. My biggest gripe, if it's out of stock and never coming back, take it off your website, the same applies to ebay shops, don't advertise hooks in the full range of sizes when you've only got 22's.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
As its a live shop (Yeovil Angling Centre as was ) there will always be cases of the shop selling all the stock of an item in a day as an example we have a club going off to a fishery with funny rules one of which is no method feeders or leads over 15g I believe because someone cracked one off and it went through a greenhouse about 50 yards away.
As the only 15g method we sell is a Drennan one they cleaned us out of a couple of trade packs in an afternoon so I sympathise in that respect but assuming the orders are dealt with on receipt I would have thought even the most basic stock control system would flag up the fact there were none left, if I order more off Drennan today it will still be middle or end of next week before we get them.
If its a case of listing stuff that has never been in stock I would have no sympathy at all because there is no guarantee that you will get things quickly or at all in some cases.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ordered a 3m whip from them that turned out not to be in stock. Received an email and a refund the next day so don't really mind that.

Same whip is still showing as in stock now though.

guitarslinger

Had exactly the same sort of issues when I got back into fishing and needed new gear. I think the problem here is they consistently advertised most everything as in stock. Meanwhile they clearly know that this isn’t the case and hope they can just order it in from supplier to cover it off. If they were getting stock feeds from suppliers - great. But tell us it’s 10 days for delivery. But given how bad the delays are, I’d be surprised if it’s that technologically advanced. It is a simple case of show it all in stock. Enough unwitting customers will spend money...regarding those that complain....some will, some won’t, who cares? Next. AVOID like the plague!! Bobco and chapmans have been ok so far. showed in stock and arrived next day. Angling direct showed out of stock, so moved in to alternative retailer. At least they were up front so I could make an informed choice.

I general im gobsmacked at how bad stock holding is in the tackle industry...

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I seem to recall using TackleUK twice in the past. 1st experience was good, 2nd was less so. Needless to say, I've not been tempted to use them since.
However, I'm sure that there will be people that use them regularly, never have a problem, will think they're the bee's knees.

I remember twice having big issues with a shop that was very highly regarded on here. I didn't used to name them, but it doesn't matter now. I thought Ted Carters were utter rubbish. I'm not just rubbishing them for the fun of it, but the fact that so many thought so highly of them just goes to show that we'll all have different experiences.

No one would shop anywhere if all it takes to put you off is one negative review.

guitarslinger

It’s not one negative review though is it. They’ve been mentioned before on here for exactly the same thing - saying in stock, but not actually. They shove all the generic accessories/terminal tackle in regular stock and chance their arm with the tasty pieces in the order - ordering direct from supplier to cover off your specific requirement. No one can stock everything, but just be straight about it and people will not have a problem....their site is one of the better ones to use and search and that’s what lured me in the first time.

guitarslinger

In fairness of balance, I’ve just looked at their web site and it appears it’s been updated since I last used. Many items showing a delayed dispatch date... 3-6 days. The back end of which would be much more in line with my personal experiences. When I used their site this was not something they displayed. It just said in stock. So perhaps they are trying in their own way.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It’s not one negative review though is it.

Try not to take it personally. I wasn't trying to suggest that TackleUK had only one negative review. For a start, if you read my post carefully, you'll notice that I had a bad experience with them and don't use them any more.

What I was getting at was that even the best can be atrocious for someone. Once upon a time, Ted Carters was one of this forums favourites. Those that said anything negative about them were jumped on. I used them a few times, and had one appalling experience. Due to the wall to wall praise they got on here, I gave them another chance, only to be let down badly a second time. Needless to say, they didn't get another go.

Bobco is the current forum favourite, and damned good they are too. However, I'll bet there is more than the odd customer that is a little less positive.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If anyone is upset at Bobco for any reason then they haven't spoke with either Bob or his Dad over the matter or any staff , who would then be first to rectify any problems.