Tackle Storage

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
With thieves it's the length of time its going to take to get what they want that puts them off - the longer the time, the more the risk of getting caught.

If you make the shed look too secure from the outside it says 'there's something you want in here'

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Sounds great, as a matter of interest what alarm do you have fitted please?
The alarm system is an ADT one that the previous owners had fitted. It's more of a small chalet than a shed. It's got a proper upvc door and windows. Electrics and lighting fitted. It's a really good space. It's got my fishing gear, and other hobby stuff in there, plus my diy tools, and a small chest freezer. I've got two other sheds, one with my gardening stuff in it, and the other for my wife's mobility equipment. These are plastic Keter sheds. Easy to erect and very sturdy, but I think a determined thief would soon get into them. I also have CCTV fitted to the house, which acts as a deterrent ,and a locking head high gate.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
We had a large sectional concrete building put up a few years ago, about 20' x 10' with a dividing wall 1/3rd of the length, steel door in the smaller shed part, double UPVC French doors on the larger part, all fully locking, done by a firm called Lidgett. Not cheap, but should see me out.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Smelly stuff and groundbait etc goes in the shed - everything else in the house
Some in the west wing, some in the east wing and the rest under the stairs

Simon

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fortunate enough to have a 3rd bedroom that is used as a tackle room/office.
Only wet smelly stuff (nets etc) goes into the brick built shed that has sensors linked into the house alarm and give an audible warning should anyone enter

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Them keter plastic shed/boxes are very flimsy, a lot of people on our caravan site have them, often seen them blown over in a strong breeze and they warp out of shape after a few years. (n)

OurSam

These are good for securing rod/pole holdals to walls - keeps them secure and upright

With these- Master Lock Steel Ground & wall anchor (W)53mm, Pack of 2 | DIY at B&Q

And for your shed - Shed Shackle - Shed Security Anchor from SecurityForBikes, by Pragmasis
Great advice, all ordered thanks for the advice.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Mine is in a spare bedroom. Secure, dry and away from rodents. Too many sheds and garages get broken into for me to chance leaving it all elsewhere. It would cost many thousands of pounds to replace if it was all stolen.

If you have to keep it in the shed, are the garden walls / fence good enough to keep thieves out? Do you have gates that are locked? Could you plant something like Hawthorn, Blackthorn or Firethorn round the shed on 3 sides to restrict thieves access, then have a gate on the 4th side?
This.

Spare bedroom for me too.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Just seen a thread on our local community FB page saying a bloke had all his carp gear stolen from his double padlocked brick storage shed last Saturday night /Sunday morning.

To bypass his house CCTV & video doorbell they apparently went down the side of a house three doors up then over the garden fences to get to his garden. Obviously targeted theft.

Various alerts now regarding “kids” on bikes repeatedly cruising the area masked up and a highly suspicious white van lurking too :( not fun so close to home.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I’ve learnt from mates disasters - holdalls & seatbox in the house, smelly stuff (nets, unhooking mat) in the garage.

I don’t think there is a storage system out there that I’d trust my gear to & mines worth very little in comparison to many anglers
Its not always the monetary value ,its what it means to you the pleasure and fun you get from it ,you dont measure happiness in £££ signs . I see you get an enormous amount of happiness and pleasure from your fishing and long may that continue 😊

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Its not always the monetary value ,its what it means to you the pleasure and fun you get from it ,you dont measure happiness in £££ signs . I see you get an enormous amount of happiness and pleasure from your fishing and long may that continue 😊

I do indeed - good for the body and soul.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I had all my tackle stolen years ago, early 90's. Insurance paid out, but it wasn't until I went to replace it that I realised how much it cost, little things like hooks, shot, line, weights, feeders etc etc, the soon add up and I doubt they're taken into account when you tot it up for cover, so the pay out I claimed (over £2k) was nowhere near what I lost,

R0B

I have a high security workshop where I also keep my fishing gear, the only drawback is that if I suddenly feel like making rigs or spooling reels then I either have to go up there or wait until the next day. It's about 2 miles away. I do also keep a few fly and lure bits in my garage - which has a high security door and a killer cat.

R0B

I had all my tackle stolen years ago, early 90's. Insurance paid out, but it wasn't until I went to replace it that I realised how much it cost, little things like hooks, shot, line, weights, feeders etc etc, the soon add up and I doubt they're taken into account when you tot it up for cover, so the pay out I claimed (over £2k) was nowhere near what I lost,
You can allow for everything you've got including terminal tackle, but your premium will reflect it. I suppose it's a balancing act between costs Vs probability Vs replacement value

TrickyD

Site Supporter
You can allow for everything you've got including terminal tackle, but your premium will reflect it. I suppose it's a balancing act between costs Vs probability Vs replacement value
The claim was made against my contents insurance, not a specific tackle policy. They did send an assessor round, all he was concerned about was that all my doors and windows in the house had locks on, as per the policy. If there was just one without, they would have refused to pay out, even though the tackle was in the shed. It made no difference to the premium at renewal.

Stufer63

Mine lives in the shed. Recently added a Ring alarm system. The shed now has an alarm if the door is opened and also a motion detector so covered in home or away modes. Great thing it is all wireless and easy to install and links to an app on your phone. With that and I already had CCTV and security mesh in the Windows I can't make it much more secure! (And if I go away I chain the holdall's and box together and the pole comes in the house!)

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I really feel sorry for some of you guys. I’m extremely lucky to have a new block built workshop where I run my business from right next to the house, so I can keep all my gear in there. Fully alarmed , dry and with plenty of room. I don’t think I could sleep at night if my gear was in a shed in the garden. Theft is so prolific now and there doesn’t seem to be much of a deterrent. I can see more people dealing out there own sort of justice more and more in the future.

frankg

Site Supporter
Thank you for all your comments and advice (and the funny comments too 😉). Looks like I’ll be upgrading the security on the shed then!
Have a look at ‘Beast Sheds’.... They’re a shed and a half!

Ringe

Site Supporter
When I used to keep my gear in a shed, I had an alarm on it, but I made a second door inside the flimsy shed door, just made a simple frame out of 3*2 and just fixed pine tongue and groove to it. I then fitted a simple contact sensor on the outer door - this would see the alarm triggered with the inner door intact.