Tackle Storage

OurSam

I am looking for some advice - where do you lot store your tackle?
Mine is in the shed and its A) a pain in the ar$e to get to what with mowers, bikes etc. B) a little damp and C) not the most secure.
I am thinking of buying a plastic outdoor storage unit and wondered if anyone else uses one and if so what are they like and which one would you recommend. Been looking at this sort of thing but worry about security Keter Store It Out Max 4 x 5ft Garden & Wheelie Bin Storage | Wickes.co.uk
Thanks for any help.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Have been thinking about something similar, not sure that one would be big enough though, certainly don’t see how I could fit a 1.95m pole hold-all in it.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I keep my BBQ in one. I’d want something a bit more secure & substantial for my fishing stuff. I keep my rods & reels in the house & the rest in the garage.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If you think that thing is secure, I dread to think how unsecure your shed is. Unless the area you live in is nice, No way I'd keep my tackle in anything along those lines. You could pull those things apart.. They're about secure enough to protect whats advertised, a hose, plastic shovel and a watering can.

If you have good gear, Spend a few hundred and build a decent shed with some good security and alarms to top it off. Keep your gear stored in something flimsy like that, dont be surprised that you need to spent potentially thousands replacing it all 6 months down the line when it's all been copped.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Rod bags in house seatbox is buried in brick shed. There’s a chain wrapped around in and it’s locked in a wooden trunk. It seriously takes me 50min to get out and put it back away.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've got a large summerhouse with a proper locking door on it. Electric lights in it, and an alarm and pir security light on it, so fairly secure. I keep the gear in there, and I have a woekbench to make up rigs etc. It's a great space.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve learnt from mates disasters - holdalls & seatbox in the house, smelly stuff (nets, unhooking mat) in the garage.

I don’t think there is a storage system out there that I’d trust my gear to & mines worth very little in comparison to many anglers

rudd

Site Supporter
If you think that thing is secure, I dread to think how unsecure your shed is. Unless the area you live in is nice, No way I'd keep my tackle in anything along those lines. You could pull those things apart.. They're about secure enough to protect whats advertised, a hose, plastic shovel and a watering can.

If you have good gear, Spend a few hundred and build a decent shed with some good security and alarms to top it off. Keep your gear stored in something flimsy like that, dont be surprised that you need to spent potentially thousands replacing it all 6 months down the line when it's all been copped.
I wouldnt keep my green watering can,
a fake chinese rubber plant
or even fake plastic earth in one.

Sold by a rubber man,
with a full set of rubber plans,
but you have to build it youself.

It wears you out
It wears you out
It wears you out

Absolutely genius song by a genius band

OurSam

Thank you for all your comments and advice (and the funny comments too 😉). Looks like I’ll be upgrading the security on the shed then!

OurSam

I've got a large summerhouse with a proper locking door on it. Electric lights in it, and an alarm and pir security light on it, so fairly secure. I keep the gear in there, and I have a woekbench to make up rigs etc. It's a great space.
Sounds great, as a matter of interest what alarm do you have fitted please?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've said it many times, if you need to keep your tackle in a shed, firstly make sure it is secure, and that includes the side panels and roof, and secondly get a length of chain, fix it to the shed floor, or better still concrete it into the ground, and wrap the chain around your tackle, through the box frame, holdall handles and straps, and secure with a decent padlock.

That way if anyone breaks into your shed, they still have to be able to run off with your gear to pinch it

rudd

Site Supporter
These are good for securing rod/pole holdals to walls - keeps them secure and upright

With these- Master Lock Steel Ground & wall anchor (W)53mm, Pack of 2 | DIY at B&Q

And for your shed - Shed Shackle - Shed Security Anchor from SecurityForBikes, by Pragmasis

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
stinky stuff and stuff that I rarely use anymore in a block built store-workshop

everything else in the house

I wouldnt even trust a timber shed, let alone a plastic one

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Mine is in a spare bedroom. Secure, dry and away from rodents. Too many sheds and garages get broken into for me to chance leaving it all elsewhere. It would cost many thousands of pounds to replace if it was all stolen.

If you have to keep it in the shed, are the garden walls / fence good enough to keep thieves out? Do you have gates that are locked? Could you plant something like Hawthorn, Blackthorn or Firethorn round the shed on 3 sides to restrict thieves access, then have a gate on the 4th side?