tackle simplificationRealistically, it is likely that

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Realistically, it is likely that I will only be fishing two venues in future. Should I be lucky enough to be introduced to a new venue, it will probably be very similar. This means that I pretty much know what I will be fishing for and how I will be fishing for them. Feeder, method or cage, in future, the only hook I will be using for feeder fishing is the QM1 in sizes 10-16. All hooks tied to 4" hooklength with band in loop.
If I want a plain hook, I just cut off loop, if I want a hair rig, just cut off band
Float fishing the only hook will be Kaizen sizes 12-16, again, all tied with band in loop on 6" hooklengths.
Only two pole floats, from kits from Gerry's of Nottingham, Kit 1 for carp 4 x 18. For silvers 4x 14 20 of each, 4 each tied with different line and hooks.
I have loaded my reels with Rive feeder line in 0.16, 0.18, 0.22. works fine for waggler fishing as well.
I have two feeder rods, one big, one small, and 3 float rods, that I am confident will cover all of my needs.
This, of course, does not include carp , sea and fly fishing gear, that I will probably never use again.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
I wish l could be that organised. I've got rods reels floats feeders pellets grounbait in the corner of my garage, its like Steptoes yard.
*note to self* TIDY UP STEPTOES YARD YOU SCRUFFY MINGER.

rudd

Site Supporter
I wish l could be that organised. I've got rods reels floats feeders pellets grounbait in the corner of my garage, its like Steptoes yard.
*note to self* TIDY UP STEPTOES YARD YOU SCRUFFY MINGER.
Mine looks like go outdoors, fishing kit, camping kit, bikes and walking gear all over the place.

Actually thats a lie!

My garage is better stocked!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm sure you know from my blog that I simplified my tackle many years ago and immediately noticed the improvement in my results.

Its horses for courses. I prefer the simplicity, others thrive on the complexity and there is no right or wrong.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have 3 main fishing 'groups' for want of a better description, course, river, and Carp. Each has it's own corner of the spare bedroom so I can just grab and go.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just out of interest, what type of venues are they?
Wish I was that organised!!
I wouldn't know what category to put the club's lakes in to be honest. The waters themselves are about 200 years old and used to feed a coal pit. It was used as a fishery roughly 100 years ago, but was only properly managed as a fishery some 50 or 60 years ago. There are no day tickets (members only) so it's not really classed as a commercial and has been left as natural as can possibly be but does get stocked and the grass, shrubbery, trees etc. trimmed/cut as and when needed. It's stream fed into one lake which overflows into 2nd lake and any overflow from that goes back into the stream.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I probably sound more organised than I am in reality ;)
Both venues are stillwaters, although not natural, but naturalised. One 7 acres, one 3 acres. the 7 acre pond contains a good assortment of silvers, with some carp of a decent size. The 3 acre lake contains some silvers and a lot of carp. The carp average in excess of 20lb and can be fished for with stepped up match gear.
The bigger lake is mostly feeder fishing, the smaller lake waggler or pole..
When feeder fishing, whatever the type, I can see no reason to use anything other than QM1s. I recently had a session there when I was out of QM1s and lost 6 out of 8 carp hooked. I doubt that would have happened if I had been using the QM1s
The Kaizen is a excellent all round hook for float fishing. Last week I was happily catching 3oz roach on a size 16 on the waggler. I then went on to land 5 out of 5 carp, averaging 20lb each on the very same hook.

Mothy1965

Sound like cracking venues Sportsman!
The subject of hook choice is a fascinating one as someone who is returning to the sport after 30 yrs (so much has changed :ROFLMAO:).
I was using old hook patterns, but then was advised to try Preston KKHB's as I was losing more fish than i was landing in the commercial water I fish.
Seems to have helped a lot, so I continue on my learning journey, who'd have ever thought I'd buy a pole 🤷‍♂️
I love the idea of simplifying everything though, I think that would help a lot with my confidence in whichever setup I use (or maybe I should buy some QM1's and Kaizen's)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I fish as simply as poss nowadays... more often than not just a hook on the line.. or just a single swan shot and a hook... lightening ones kit helps even more... short sessions travelling light are very productive