Tackle shops maggots

kro2

Get mine from my local shop Smithys.Never had any problems the Maggots ,casters and pinkies are always spot on.Which can't be said for me local A.D or Fishing republic they have been awful last time I went in.
Hi Reading posts with interest as I'm in evesham and had exactly the same problems with rubbish bait. At the end of the season got some maggots from fishing republic in portway . Had v low expectations but they were actually pretty good

I don't remember when this thing of putting pads of sawdust in started or how to riddle it off?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi Reading posts with interest as I'm in evesham and had exactly the same problems with rubbish bait. At the end of the season got some maggots from fishing republic in portway . Had v low expectations but they were actually pretty good

I don't remember when this thing of putting pads of sawdust in started or how to riddle it off?
Hi Kro2,
I'm lucky that my (relatively) local Bailey's in warwick does keep good bait (apart from the squatts - which are pretty ropey everywhere these days!!)
Their maggots and pinkies come from Lanes bait (as I suspect does the majority in the region).
They did have a problem with maggots last summer for about a month (a lot of the bait turned to rubbery rather than crisp casters) - but that was cured after less than 3 weeks.

In Evesham you've got Bait Box, then at Twyford Farm there is Manor Angling (also at Manor Farm leisure).
Have you tried Alcester sports? Alan Stephens has always been a great guy, but not sure about how his bait is kept? Can't be that far short of retiring either!

tincatim

Site Supporter
The maggots in my local are the best I’ve found around here, the only problem is that he doesn’t stick the other things I need. I go in for bait but always go elsewhere for other tackle, apart from the odd time I feel bad and buy an alternative to the thing I wanted that he hasn’t got in stock. I’m all for supporting my local, but not when I can’t but what I want!

I’ve no idea how much I pay for maggots though to be honest.

kro2

Hi Kro2,
I'm lucky that my (relatively) local Bailey's in warwick does keep good bait (apart from the squatts - which are pretty ropey everywhere these days!!)
Their maggots and pinkies come from Lanes bait (as I suspect does the majority in the region).
They did have a problem with maggots last summer for about a month (a lot of the bait turned to rubbery rather than crisp casters) - but that was cured after less than 3 weeks.

In Evesham you've got Bait Box, then at Twyford Farm there is Manor Angling (also at Manor Farm leisure).
Have you tried Alcester sports? Alan Stephens has always been a great guy, but not sure about how his bait is kept? Can't be that far short of retiring either!
Cheers been to all of those. I won't name them as they are brilliant but maggots from at least one of them have been awful

BillRoach

Site Supporter
A well-known lake complex near me charge £4.60 a pint and it’s at least 30% dust; it’s useful to be able to buy them with your day ticket, but extra annoying that you have to walk to the hut and pull out another £4.60 at 11am bc you’re all out.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Went for 3 pts of maggots at dinner and must say I’m shocked at what I got, does anyone else wonder how some tackle shops still trade with bait like this.

They got these out the fridge in the back so I didn’t see until I got home to clean them.

£7 for 3pts
2pts of maggot and a 1pt of sawdust 🤷🏼‍♂️

Casters In reds too 🫣safe to say won’t be returning.

Anyone else have shops they avoid as their bait is awful.
£1 pint at AD this weekend ,had an email from them

jononcb

LEGS230258 Do you have a phone number for the Dynamic Baits
please?
Screenshot_20220601-093130_Facebook.jpg

jononcb

I don't know them @Dave, but the chap behind the counter wasn't exactly in a jolly mood, quite happy to take your coin though.
Them Lindy maggots look like they not been cleaned up at all and even been taken off the feed too early??
Perhaps just straight from a bait farm somewhere but not good still.
We are quite lucky in Notts/Derbyshire with a fair amount of good tackle shops to go too for maggots casters and at a reasonable price compared to Darn Sarf.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
angling direct are doing all maggots £1 for the first pint got some reds this morning