Tackle shops maggots

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
My local shop has one maggot delivery a week, sometimes the quality is good sometimes not so good, life is not perfect.
Breeding maggots cannot be the most pleasant job, transporting and keeping plus everyone needs to make a profit I think
overall the price is reasonable. I`m sure some of you lot would complain even if they were free.
PG At first reading I thought you said he has one maggot delivered a week. Is it sale or return?

Aztecca

Site Supporter
Get mine from my local shop Smithys.Never had any problems the Maggots ,casters and pinkies are always spot on.Which can't be said for me local A.D or Fishing republic they have been awful last time I went in.

bricky72

Site Supporter
Over here they're 4 euro a pint, not many places stock them so it's a bit hit and miss what you get. Anyone remember Terry Dormans shop in Nottingham, the bait was, arguably, the best in the country.
You mean his front room on denman street lol

he still does brilliant bait from his maggot farm

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

If my front room was as small as that I would have moved. He’s not been on denman street for many a year mate.

IanG1

Site Supporter

I remember that shop as a kid, used to spend my pocket money in there and come out with a brown paper bag with a few odds in and 10p worth of maggots.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Right then, my pet hate are the anglers that go straight to the bait farm or fishery shop to save an odd quid or two, & then there the 1st to moan when the local tackle shop shuts down due to lack of business. I see & hear this every week & it makes me so mad !. I normally travel 10 miles to Melton Tackle who do 1st class bait, the one thing that makes me laugh is when others go for maggots or castors at the fishery & they've sold out.
I get it Paul and i am a tackle shop supporter personally too, but is the OP indicative at all, of the sort of service/quality that actually makes people go elsewhere? Vicious circle i suppose, lack of custom leads to lack of stock or the right stock, which leads to a lack of customers, drops in quality, price hikes and so it goes around. I just think that there is a way out of the vicious circle and it starts with service and quality, get that right and people go back, as they do anywhere they spend their hard earned.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I was shocked at the state of the maggots that were bought yesterday from a reputable fishery...Lindholme Lakes. Both myself and Steve (@sly) weren't happy at all, and we weren't alone either, a number of other anglers were 'a tad peeved'. In fact a few left at 9.30am and went to Hayfield instead.

The problem, or problems? Take a look...

100_1958.JPG

In case you haven't noticed, hardly any of the white maggot had a decent 'feed spot'
About 35 - 40% of the maggots weren't even moving.
Far too many 'skins'
Quite a few were already turning to castor
Take a close look at the 'dust' and other stuff they were in, obviously not been riddled.
Some of them, when busted, oozed water instead of that creamy coloured innards.

For one of the top fisheries, it's bait is awful and would recommend you buy elsewhere before going here. Asking top price for maggots like this is out of order in my opinion.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Get mine from my local shop Smithys.Never had any problems the Maggots ,casters and pinkies are always spot on.Which can't be said for me local A.D or Fishing republic they have been awful last time I went in.
In Rednal mate? Good shop that.

Simon R

Site Supporter
One of my fishing tackle shop owning pals told me that when he first openned his shop thirty years ago, that a well known contemporary told him a litttle trick.

Basically the chap served maggots using a pint mug but always put his thumb in the mug as he scooped up the bait. Reckoned it paid for his annual family holiday!
There's a certain guest-house owner and bait stockist not a million miles from Cootehill in Co. Cavan who employed the same technique when measuring casters out. Fortunately he was only a little bloke with skinny thumbs :p

Simon

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Bait in North Devon.
Absolutely Shocking. Hence why i fish with Corn and wafters. These have more life in them than the maggots i have purchased, as for casters, words can't describe how bad they are.

Speaking around most buy online or from other areas on there travels. 😒

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Maggots fed on mostly chicken and fish dont always have dark feed spots any meat fed will have a black spot, due to many regulations there are not that many meat fed maggots now.
The shop could have easily sorted the bait pictured by putting them through a riddle to remove the rubbish.

bricky72

Site Supporter
I remember that shop as a kid, used to spend my pocket money in there and come out with a brown paper bag with a few odds in and 10p worth of maggots.
I was there with old man most Friday/ Saturdays

Even built him some pits up at his colwick farm when I was a apprentice
but still couldn’t get his special team trentmen maggots

bricky72

Site Supporter
Farm is Manor baits based in Hucknall with the power of Google lol
Yes that’s the one you be ok going there in Porsche lol one of worse roads I’ve ever been down so never been since ( great bait and price as well )

PAB

Site Supporter
I must be lucky here we get a free maggot with every pint of sawdust and it costs us £4 per pint minimum

PAB

Site Supporter
I was shocked at the state of the maggots that were bought yesterday from a reputable fishery...Lindholme Lakes. Both myself and Steve (@sly) weren't happy at all, and we weren't alone either, a number of other anglers were 'a tad peeved'. In fact a few left at 9.30am and went to Hayfield instead.

The problem, or problems? Take a look...

100_1958.JPG

In case you haven't noticed, hardly any of the white maggot had a decent 'feed spot'
About 35 - 40% of the maggots weren't even moving.
Far too many 'skins'
Quite a few were already turning to castor
Take a close look at the 'dust' and other stuff they were in, obviously not been riddled.
Some of them, when busted, oozed water instead of that creamy coloured innards.

For one of the top fisheries, it's bait is awful and would recommend you buy elsewhere before going here. Asking top price for maggots like this is out of order in my opinion.
I live in Suffolk and cannot remember the last time i saw a feed spot on my maggots!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I live in Suffolk and cannot remember the last time i saw a feed spot on my maggots!
At our local tackle shop, it's very unusual to get maggots without the feed spot.