Tackle shaming

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Do you believe that these "old gits" have become grumpy and disrespectful to the young with age or were they so inclined before they became old?
If you believe that the problem is acquired with age, at what age does this behaviour start?

Not sure what age is starts but does seem to become more prevalent when they retire - too much time to think about things
:):)

I'm retired, have more time for fishing but no time at all for people like that. I help run junior fishing sessions, have given more floats away than I care to count, and this year alone have passed on 4 feeder rods and 5 waggler rods to those juniors who didn't have a rod to start with. Don't put all us 'oldies' in the same bucket as those scum.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I totally agree with helping young kids start out on their fishing lives. However a few years ago I started a club for people with disabilities, most of them were wheelchair users and aged from 35 to 60 or so. I put out an appeal on local radio for any old fishing gear people had and no longer needed or used. We fished locally for the first year, and then started to go further afield, which included trips to wales every May bank holiday weekend. The look on their faces when they caught their first fish was priceless !

JayBee

Site Supporter
My opinion is ....."Every experinced angler should help and advise the less competent to catch (except in matches where money is at stake, maybe after!)"

In my time , I have coached, helped, transported and encouraged younger anglers, with the downside that they are now, two decades later, far better than me, to the detriment of my match results!.
If we don't do anything to guide, help and advise the inexperienced they will catch less = potential disenchancement = give up fishing.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I used to take a recovering Heroin addict, he was a nice enough kid who got caught up in the wrong game. Anyway if i was on a match he would fish another pond or we would go together at other times, the last i heard from him he had moved to his sisters in sheffield and was doing ok. A bit of your time and patience goes a long way and in the deal might make ya feel better.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Every now and then a friend and myself get given bundles of tackle to look through from families of an angler who has
passed away in on of our small clubs. They do not want any money for it, just told either to keep it, or give it to people who are starting out.

There was a woman asking for fishing tackle on the freecycle and free ads in Stafford, a few people posted offering stuff and one guy i know donated his deceased fathers tackle because he had enough tackle of his own....Brian is a copper who goes around the second hand shops and bootsales etc looking for stolen gear and he told me that less than a week after dropping it all off for her he found most of it for sale in a second hand shop, he contacted the freecycle moderators and let them know what had gone on and he's been keeeping an eye open for her on all the local sites since!

To me, using the kindness of people to get free stuff to sell is despicable and scum like.... as far as i'm concerned it's fraud and they should be punished for it!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@Trogg when we have been giving the tackle away or when I used to advertise it on club website as "free to junior angler"
we asked to see the youngster, because one or two have said they will have the tackle for their youngster or
someone they know youngster,and when asked to bring the youngster with them to get the tackle
its the last we hear from them, I know they could turn up with a youngster and make all the right noises
but that is a chance we have to take, It is the society we live in, some people want things for nothing
and are not bothered how they get it, Most of the last lot we looked through went straight to
the charity shop.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I take a lot of stuff, not always fishing tackle, to our local charity shops, we have 3. But be very careful which one you take it to as a lot of them do not know the value or what things are so skip them. Books if not the right genre or in perfect condition will be binned. My daughter works in one and ALL angling books, westerns are binned automatically. One shop will never get anything from me, its the nearest to me and l dropped in a black bag and had a look around whilst doing so l watched a lady, out the back, stick her head in my bag of bits and pieces, then tie it up and go out the back of the shop coming back empty handed. I checked around the back and there was my bag on top of a load of other bags in a large square wheelie bin, l took it back and gave it to another shop and the lady looked in the bag and stated some nice things in there, thanks, also l do the vat bit in two of the shops, sod all goes into the nearest one.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
We put a value on the stuff we give them, The husband of the manageress at the shop we use is in one of the clubs I am in
and he donates tackle and angling books as well, The shop did an angling themed window display earlier this year.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
That's the problem, these oldish women who run a lot of these shops only keep what they perceive to have value.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
She is not all that old, and with her husband being a fisherman, she has an idea on what things are worth,
The stuff is priced to sell accordingly, we put £30 on a PI monster hardcase holdall, It went within a couple of days,
Float and feeder rods depending on brand and condition between £10 and £25
Keepnets £5. Its no use putting high prices on things because they can be in the shop for a while.
also the rods and reels we mainly get are from anglers who have had them a few years.so they are not high value
by todays standards.

Paul22

I believe you should treat everyone no matter what age with respect .....I always treat people how I would like to be treated.
Obviously if it’s thrown in your face then my view would change.
Fishing should be about the people not the tackle.
My argument with some match Angler’s is without people like me who turn up pay there money and could be called pools fodder there would be no matches ...... in other words we all count !!!!
I used to take my kids fishing with just a whip and some bread and we’ve had many happy hours catching fish which is what it’s all about ?