Tackle shaming

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Daughter 11, made her mark at Anglers Paradise when she was waggler fishing with absolutely basic gear, rod net bait + chair. Along came two middle aged gents laughing about a silly girl fishing. They had poles, boxes, masses of gear etc. They told her how it should be done still laughing. She showed them a clean pair of heels over the first hour, needing more bait she walked past them and said she would wait for them to catch up, laughing she came around to me as I was opposite. As she went back they asked for her help as they agreed she was doing better than both of them put together. She helped them and they started to catch. Spoke to them afterwards and they said if she was fishing the same lake they would watch how she did it. My daughter still fishes and she has now got a two year old.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
when as a young un, I first caught the fishing bug, my family was pretty poor with regard to disposable income, Dad was still in the navy over to Trincomalee and we hadnt long moved back from Malta

there was nowt to buy stuff, and I was too young for a paper round or as a milk boy (both jobs for the future), I made a bit of money breeding rabbits and guinea pigs, selling em either for meat or to a local pet store or friends

I bought my first rod from "Greenfields of Canterbury" the rod and gun store of the south it proclaimed above its door,

entering it clutching my savings/present money of six green pound notes, the rod rack was headed for and hugely perused, the long fibreglass float rods, 12ft what a length that seemed, the shorter feeder rods most around 10ft long, until I got near the end of the display, and there it was, the rod that would become mine, the epitome of my tackle collection to date, it was fondled, waggled, stroked then put back in its slot

over to the counter, the salesman took no notice of the blond haired shorts wearing herbert that was drooling over the reels on display, ABU's, Mitchells, Intrepids, but he had only eyes for one, the one that with the purchase price of the aformentioned rod resting in the rack, would bring enough change for a pack of hooks, maybe a new float and a tanners worth of maggot

both were asked for, "can I have that rod and that reel please mr ?" Showing the tightly clutched pound notes gripped in the slightly grubby hand !

round he came, the rod was taken apart and put into a double stitched canvas bag and laid on the glass topped counter, and a box was retrieved from under it and placed to its side

that rod and reel done me for everything from float, ledger and spinning, it wasnt much to look at that pairing, the rod didnt even have a brand name emblazed on it 6ft length of blue fibreglass, the red alloy screwed reel seat in total contrast to the blue and silver whipping that held the half dozen wire rings on it, the Galion 12r reel was green and grey, the bail arm was manual and was of plain wire not a roller in sight,

but they were mine,

Blanks

Site Supporter
I wonder if they would have said anything if it was you using the tackle Trogg. Hope they were pleased with themselves ( not) after upsetting a young lad out doing a bit of fishing.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Flipping disgusting that anyone should ridicule a young lad starting out. I bet they felt like real big men seeing the poor lad pack up and go home. On the occasion I have seen young lads fishing I have gladly gone over and given them hemp/bait/rigs etc. Anyone new to fishing irrespective of what gear they have should be welcomed and helped along the angling way.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Exactly scribe mate (y) when Owl jnr was 13 the lads in our club let him on the matches, He paid his subs so they all agreed (y) anyone who doesnt encourage youngsters in the sport they choose should hang their heads in shame.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I was in a club like that but was not allowed to win due to being a junior. Several times I would have one but not allowed ???

Paul22

I remember My first fishing trip on my own .... my dad dropped me off in the school holidays and went to work.
I soon ended up In tangles and all sorts of trouble but the guy next to me took putty on me and he showed me how to tie an hook on and set the float properly and showed me where to cast the float.
Had it not been for that bloke I would have had a wasted day of course i didn’t realise this at the time and probably got on his nerves after bugging him for some hooks having lost my last one.
The world needs more people with time for others !!!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Probably wanted the pond to themsens, Ive said it on here before respect and be respected, these old gits would be first to slate any of the younger generation for the slightest wrongdoing.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Every now and then a friend and myself get given bundles of tackle to look through from families of an angler who has
passed away in on of our small clubs. They do not want any money for it, just told either to keep it, or give it to people who are starting out.
We have kept the odd rod and reel, the ones I get , my grandchildren use, The same goes for him, We ask around if anyone knows of any juniors
who want some tackle or who are starting up, Some of the stuff is old but the kids and parents don't mind. The rest of the tackle gets donated
to a local charity shop who are pleased to have it. As the manageress says people always come in to see in any fishing tackle in, and if there isn't at the time
they still leave after buying a couple of paperback books, so its a win win situation for them. We have given away rods,reels, poles, nets, luggage, chairs seatboxes. The look on a youngsters face when he is given more or less a full set up or even just a rod and reel is priceless,

rudd

Site Supporter
I suspect the old blokes were not as old as most on here have perceived.

Maybe late teens to early 20's or possibly older school kids bully a younger one.

If I had to choose I would say older school kids have made threats and possibly stolen a few items?

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Probably wanted the pond to themsens, Ive said it on here before respect and be respected, these old gits would be first to slate any of the younger generation for the slightest wrongdoing.
Do you believe that these "old gits" have become grumpy and disrespectful to the young with age or were they so inclined before they became old?
If you believe that the problem is acquired with age, at what age does this behaviour start?

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Not sure what age is starts but does seem to become more prevalent when they retire - too much time to think about things
:):)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Probably know it nearly Game over and aint done enough of what they wanted to and cant stand seeing anyone else doing just that.

That's the reason why I despise people.

I sit on lakes with my 15 year old Shakespeare Valor pole at 3 metres carching plenty. Who cares how much your stuff costs?

As soon as I read "older people" I immediately thought of a new older person to me (I'm 31). However, to a younger boy that could be 18+. I'd like to think no one of 18+ would laugh at someone else's gear, but then, have you seen the world we live in?

Feel sorry for the lad. P*sstakers they are.

Shoot them. End of. :whistle:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Grumpy old buggers, as a kid I would've ignored them and then caught more than them.
I understand the giving kids fishing gear at Xmas and it's a bad time to go fishing but at the age of 9, I peddled to my local quarry pool 2 miles away, waded in and broke the ice, then proceeded to sit and fish for 5 or 6 hours soaking wet on new years day on my own, if you love fishing it doesn't matter.