Tackle shaming

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having just read Peters excellent write up on his recent visit to view Sonik tackle it reminded me of something from a few years ago.

A young mum, saved hard from her wages to get her son some fishing gear for xmas but she had no idea where to buy or what to buy, my brother in law told her he would ask me as i was an angler and could probably give her some advice.

He told me what she was thinking and what kind of price she would be able to pay, i told him to ask her if it was ok to give me her number or address and i'd give her some help/advice, i popped around to her house and got her online to look at complete set ups sadly all of them were out of her price range so i suggested second hand, she wasn't being "snobby" but really wanted to buy new so i told her i'd take her up to "Go outdoors" on the friday afternoon and she could use my discount card to get her sone some gear.

She eventually overspent by a few quid but we managed to get her son just about everything he'd need including a nice little seatbox to put the stuff in, all in it came to just under £80 if i remember right and she was all smiles and talking about his face when he opened it all on xmas morning.

When i saw her in the new year she told me he was already planning a fishing day, he'd wanted to go boxing day but she wouldn't let him so he'd sulked but he was going to the castle pool that weekend with some friends, the next time i saw her it was a few months later and i asked her how he was doing...what she told me made me angry, and i mean really angry.

He'd gone to a local fishery on his bike but came home a couple of hours later in tears, she eventually got it out of him why.
he'd started setting up and some "old blokes" opposite had started laughing at him and taking the mickey out of his "cheap nasty rubbish" , i was fuming and told her to tell her lad i'd take him fishing if he wanted to go, she looked at me with one of those "sad puppy eye" looks and told me he had gone into town the following weekend, sold all his tackle and used the money to buy a computer game.

I think what peed me off the most was a young lad who could have been a future Bob Nudd or Steve Ringer had been ridiculed by some unthinking idiots that probably believe you have to pay hundreds or thousands to catch fish and the more expensive the gear the better the angler, i would be willing to bet that putting a £10 rod and reel in the hands of someone like Bob or Steve would still result in more fish than the "old blokes" who upset a young lad using gear his mum had saved hard to buy!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That's just stupid. Did they forget what they first started out with? I bet it wasn't the top of the range gear, mine certainly wasn't. To put a young lad like that off a sport/hobby that he may have actually enjoyed in the way they did is just bullying in my opinion.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it's just a sad way the world is heading mate, when i was a kid we used to get helpful advice (or told to pee off if we were messing around) and even shown how to do things, now-a-days people seem to be happier being nasty.

Total

Site Supporter
I think it's just a sad way the world is heading mate, when i was a kid we used to get helpful advice (or told to pee off if we were messing around) and even shown how to do things, now-a-days people seem to be happier being nasty.

Such an ironic tale mate...:(........Poxy world we live in sometimes:(

Scalper

NCP....
Account Locked
Amazing - Trogg does have a heart!!! :oops:

As for the 'anglers' who ruined the lad's enthusiasm - Your really not fit to be anglers!!!!:mad:

But snobbery and elitism exist in all things nowadays and I doubt it'll go away anytime soon!!!:(

woodmagnet

Dartist.
I use old bamboo and cane rods. With old reels too. The most I've paid for anything was £70
for a really comfy chair with adjustable legs. And I use that in the garden too.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
"he'd started setting up and some "old blokes" opposite " I rest my case as with the socially acceptable thread, these old Gits would have wanted nowt to do with teaching or making sure the kid had a good day as long as they had their Moan, no wonder todays youth go off the rails if they aint got older folk to guide em.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Preaching to the converted here Trogg. As everyone will be aware I am a reverse tackle tart. Avanti gear, ten pound reels and £50 poles in my armoury. Does not stop me catching and beating many with much more expensive gear.

P.S. I'm am an old git of 63. Happy to help anyone irrespective of age or the tackle they use.

Warden

Site Supporter
Every year we Chapeltown & District AA get phone calls usually from a mum whose child is driving her crazy to go fishing and its usually just as our coaching sessions are drawing to a close,(we coach for 3/4 months every summer) this year a young man called Tommy was doing the pestering but hoildays mean't they could not get to the last couple of sessions and we never got to meet.
well a couple of days ago up at Newbiggin the said Tommy and his mum arrived with very basic tackle and started to set up a couple of pegs away i though his mum looked vaguely familiar (from Facebook avatar? ) Tommy went about setting his tackle up (method feeder)mixing groundbait etc in a very competent way,however it was the wrong method for the day so after a while I went introduced myself to the mum who remembered contacting me,put him a nmaggot feeder on smaller hook and gave him half my maggots told him to fish about 6-10 ft out just about 2 ft from the slope several anglers walked past (all old git's)every one said something positive to him ( they had to lol.) he was catching more than them he caught several nice Roach and one or two Ide really enjoyed his time fishing what a contrast from Alans post. Photo's on site (link) can share link but did not have permission to put them on here,

,<edit> is this the right link for the photos Phil? Trogg.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Chapeltown-District-AA-Juniors-453919848058333/photos/?ref=page_internal

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Preaching to the converted here Trogg. As everyone will be aware I am a reverse tackle tart. Avanti gear, ten pound reels and £50 poles in my armoury. Does not stop me catching and beating many with much more expensive gear.

P.S. I'm am an old git of 63. Happy to help anyone irrespective of age or the tackle they use.

no no no Neil, to be any good you have to spend hundreds buying all the named gear, if it hasn't got a name on it then it will be cheap Chinese or Japanese rubbish that just won't catch fish....so i've read!!

Warden

Site Supporter
Every year we Chapeltown & District AA get phone calls usually from a mum whose child is driving her crazy to go fishing and its usually just as our coaching sessions are drawing to a close,(we coach for 3/4 months every summer) this year a young man called Tommy was doing the pestering but hoildays mean't they could not get to the last couple of sessions and we never got to meet.
well a couple of days ago up at Newbiggin the said Tommy and his mum arrived with very basic tackle and started to set up a couple of pegs away i though his mum looked vaguely familiar (from Facebook avatar? ) Tommy went about setting his tackle up (method feeder)mixing groundbait etc in a very competent way,however it was the wrong method for the day so after a while I went introduced myself to the mum who remembered contacting me,put him a nmaggot feeder on smaller hook and gave him half my maggots told him to fish about 6-10 ft out just about 2 ft from the slope several anglers walked past (all old git's)every one said something positive to him ( they had to lol.) he was catching more than them he caught several nice Roach and one or two Ide really enjoyed his time fishing what a contrast from Alans post. Photo's on site (link) can share link but did not have permission to put them on here,

,<edit> is this the right link for the photos Phil? Trogg.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Chapeltown-District-AA-Juniors-453919848058333/photos/?ref=page_internal
Thanks Alan that's a lot better, great getting old lol.

crowder

Are you sure he didn’t go fishing, realise he hated it and just wanted an excuse to get rid of the gear?

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
TBH I think giving kids fishing tackle for Christmas for the first time is one of the worst things we do.
Kids being kids they want to get out there and play with their new toys as soon as they can, but we all know that this is the worst possible time there is to go.
Couple of trips out in the cold with catching nothing and the enthusiasm soon goes - Crowder has a very valid point.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wouldn't say it's the worse time to go, it's just harder to catch. It has to be said that if kids are told/taught that it's not going to be a fish a chuck every time then their expectations will change. By the way, I find that birthdays are the best time to buy kids fishing gear.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
About 10 year ago I’d dropped owl jnr and his mate at Boston Spa and went on to work they were catching the bus back. Anyway whilst they were fishing 2 blokes approached them saying if they didn’t have licences they would take their gear off em as they were from the EA, they showed em the licence and then they started with the this is private even though they had a day ticket. To cause no more trouble they packed up and headed home. Our Gert rang me and told me she had reported the incident to the EA and had been told none of their officers were on that stretch that day, now giving all credit 2 EA officers visited our house and took descriptions of the 2 blokes and said they would look into it, i was fuming ??me an a mate patrolled that area for a couple of weeks looking for em. Good job they weren’t about.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you sure he didn’t go fishing, realise he hated it and just wanted an excuse to get rid of the gear?

He'd been driving his mum mad for fishing gear because he'd been borrowing a friends (hence her buying it) he'd been going every chance he could, he rode his bike miles to use a fishery.... he rode home crying his eyes out...i'm pretty sure he didn't hate it but i could be wrong

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I'm just the opposite to the original post,I take the pi** out of my mate all the time when he tells me how much he's paid for the latest 'must have' carp gear,camo bivvies etc,it took him years to beat my personal best carp of 18lb plus that I caught in a match on a waggler rod,and that was a fluke.

johng19

me@home.com
Iv personally never seen someone getting the pee taken out of them, for buying cheaper tackle. That's the ting about fishing you can still go on a tight budget.. I find I hard to think that older blokes would take the pee out of the price a young kid can spend on fishing tackle. If this is true they need a bang.
I find more get the pee taken out of them for spending to much on tackle.

trotter2

You don't have to spend a fortune on gear the most important part is the bloke using it. It's never been better for nice kit it's never been cheaper.
It just shows me how much those idiots really know about angling taking the mick out of the young lad bugger all.