Tackle company websites, my musings

Cobweb

Site Supporter
You're bang on with that. A prime example is seatboxes. Some of the companies don't even list important info such as leg sizes (yes I know an XR36 will have 36mm legs & an SL30 will have 30mm legs) but some manufacturers simply have a name for their box. People need to know if they've got to replace all their accessories before making a massive purchase like a seatbox which could easily add over £100 to the project.
So true. I've found that out myself recently with my own seat box

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
You're bang on with that. A prime example is seatboxes. Some of the companies don't even list important info such as leg sizes (yes I know an XR36 will have 36mm legs & an SL30 will have 30mm legs) but some manufacturers simply have a name for their box. People need to know if they've got to replace all their accessories before making a massive purchase like a seatbox which could easily add over £100 to the project.
Do people actually spend on tackle without having seen it, held it, sat on it, I know I don’t. Either in the shop or out on the bank, can’t imagine spending 100’s or even 1000’s without satisfying myself I’d be happy with it.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Do people actually spend on tackle without having seen it, held it, sat on it, I know I don’t. Either in the shop or out on the bank, can’t imagine spending 100’s or even 1000’s without satisfying myself I’d be happy with it.
In certain circumstances, yes. Even in areas that are well served by good tackle shops, certain brands or pricey items are nigh on impossible to get to see in the flesh. The only brand that I'd count on being able to see almost every product locally would be Drennan. There are quite a few brands that I wouldn't expect to see without travelling 50-100+ miles. A select few I'd not expect to see anywhere.

In all of the years that they were considered to be top of the tree, I never knowingly saw a Normark or Carbotec rod in a shop. That's from someone that used to frequent tackle shops all over the country.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
In certain circumstances, yes. Even in areas that are well served by good tackle shops, certain brands or pricey items are nigh on impossible to get to see in the flesh. The only brand that I'd count on being able to see almost every product locally would be Drennan. There are quite a few brands that I wouldn't expect to see without travelling 50-100+ miles. A select few I'd not expect to see anywhere.

In all of the years that they were considered to be top of the tree, I never knowingly saw a Normark or Carbotec rod in a shop. That's from someone that used to frequent tackle shops all over the country.
Interesting, I bought all my original Normarks from a shop, they always had Normarks in store right up until the end. If they hadn’t, I still wouldn’t have bought one without seeing it. I recently bought a new pole, again, there is no way I would have bought it without getting hands on one, on the bank.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Interesting, I bought all my original Normarks from a shop, they always had Normarks in store right up until the end. If they hadn’t, I still wouldn’t have bought one without seeing it. I recently bought a new pole, again, there is no way I would have bought it without getting hands on one, on the bank.
Tri-Cast, Normark and Carbotec all seem(ed) to suffer from limited stockists outside of certain regions. Tri-Cast seems to have developed into the Rugby League of tackle brands. There's really doesn't seem to be a great deal going on outside of the M62 corridor.

In the very early nineties I was kicking about in the Somerset/Bristol shops, the mid 90s mostly what was then North Humberside. By the later 90s it was the Midlands from South Lincs across to Brum then the Cheshire/Wirral/Shropshire/Staffs. At the very end of the 90s/into the 00s, I was in Wilts/Oxon/Glos. I'd also stop off at any decent tackle shop I could when schlepping round the country. I definitely can't rely on my memory 100%, but, despite being aware of them, I never knowingly saw Normarks or Carbotecs anywhere I went. The magazine adverts for them always seemed to be from shops on the south coast and London. All are areas I've barely been to.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tri-Cast, Normark and Carbotec all seem(ed) to suffer from limited stockists outside of certain regions. Tri-Cast seems to have developed into the Rugby League of tackle brands. There's really doesn't seem to be a great deal going on outside of the M62 corridor.

In the very early nineties I was kicking about in the Somerset/Bristol shops, the mid 90s mostly what was then North Humberside. By the later 90s it was the Midlands from South Lincs across to Brum then the Cheshire/Wirral/Shropshire/Staffs. At the very end of the 90s/into the 00s, I was in Wilts/Oxon/Glos. I'd also stop off at any decent tackle shop I could when schlepping round the country. I definitely can't rely on my memory 100%, but, despite being aware of them, I never knowingly saw Normarks or Carbotecs anywhere I went. The magazine adverts for them always seemed to be from shops on the south coast and London. All are areas I've barely been to.
Got all of mine in Bristol - Veals.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Got all of mine in Bristol - Veals.
Notwithstanding a terrible memory, not one I can recall visiting. Truth be told, I can't remember which I visited in the area. My hazy memories suggest one in Bristol (as I mooched around town before resuming the pub crawls/gigging. A mate went to uni there when I was based near Weston), one in Weston and one in either Burnham or Bridgewater.

MarkW

I bought my Normarks from Yeovil, Ringwood, Bournemouth and Hull (Chapman's), and the best shop for them was Exeter. Carbotec from Ringwood. Never seen Tricast down south, bought a Tricast pole from Nottingham, rod was special order to my local shop.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
The best tackle site I've used is RW Floats. Only small scale I know but it has every bit of info you need for every pattern they make. As well as up to date stock levels.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Never see a Tricast pole or rod down this way. I have never seen one in any of the shops that I have visited in the southwest over the years.

RMNDIL

It's a shame that Drennan aren't more on the ball with this - not quite sure where they are coming from with this advertising when there is no stock around. I don't want to be critical about Drennan as I think a lot of much of their gear but this marketing/advertising does seem a bit half baked. Why go to all this trouble advertising when there is little info coming out about when the stuff is available? My local tackle shop - a Drennan agent for years has no clue about when any of the new gear is going to be available= a bit off when tackle shops are already struggling cashflow wise with Covid related supply problems.
I think a number of the sales team are still on (or were up until this week) on Furlough. Which is very strange when you launch new stuff and shops/anglers want/need to see it. The B2B system seems more heavily relied upon.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think a number of the sales team are still on (or were up until this week) on Furlough. Which is very strange when you launch new stuff and shops/anglers want/need to see it. The B2B system seems more heavily relied upon.
That would not really mitigate Drennan's seeming lapse with the lack of resources you mention - I agree that set of circumstances moves this issue into the weird category!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
That would not really mitigate Drennan's seeming lapse with the lack of resources you mention - I agree that set of circumstances moves this issue into the weird category!
The only thing that I would advise caution on is taking everything a shop (worker or owner) says at face value. They don't always tell punters the whole truth. Well informed anglers (with no overt trade connections) can sometimes be more up to date than a shop. A lot of those involved in retail don't get the chance to pick up snippets of information on forums, Facebook or the match/speci circuits. I know that some of the smaller operators often don't get to the trade shows. It can be difficult when you are a one or two man band, especially for those further north, east or west in the country.

Some tackle shops rely on reps visiting to see new stuff in the flesh. Much like many anglers, if they don't get to see it, they may not risk ordering it. I know some shops that have rarely seen reps from some brands despite stocking their products. In this regard, Drennan are usually pretty good. Even though I'm nowt but a customer, I've seen the Drennan rep in my local shops on several occasions over the years. Even the smallest Drennan stockists seem to get regular visits from a Drennan rep (pre-covid at least). The only others I've knowingly met was a rep for Abu Garcia over twenty years ago and a Maver man a few years back.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
The only thing that I would advise caution on is taking everything a shop (worker or owner) says at face value. They don't always tell punters the whole truth. Well informed anglers (with no overt trade connections) can sometimes be more up to date than a shop. A lot of those involved in retail don't get the chance to pick up snippets of information on forums, Facebook or the match/speci circuits. I know that some of the smaller operators often don't get to the trade shows. It can be difficult when you are a one or two man band, especially for those further north, east or west in the country.

Some tackle shops rely on reps visiting to see new stuff in the flesh. Much like many anglers, if they don't get to see it, they may not risk ordering it. I know some shops that have rarely seen reps from some brands despite stocking their products. In this regard, Drennan are usually pretty good. Even though I'm nowt but a customer, I've seen the Drennan rep in my local shops on several occasions over the years. Even the smallest Drennan stockists seem to get regular visits from a Drennan rep (pre-covid at least). The only others I've knowingly met was a rep for Abu Garcia over twenty years ago and a Maver man a few years back.
I've been using this particular tackle shop for close to 30 years now , and the Drennan Rep I have I've seen there, and chatted to occasionally, on a regular basis. This shop has had a team of 4 particularly on busy days, but like every other place has been affected by Covid. The last time I think I saw the Drennan guy was pre-Covid and I do remember seeing him around the time of the launch of the Vertex range. The shop still has an extensive range of Drennan and ESP products, amongst others such as Preston, Korum, Guru, and Avid . The guy I speak to regularly is the owner who like all tackle shop businesses, is having a tough time of it getting kit which optimises his cashflow. There is another local shop smaller, but nearer to me which I have been confined to use due to Covid restrictions. This one - relatively new to the area and the business, seems to be doing rather well, though it tends to rely on sea fishing for the core of it's business. However Middy are helping it to move into course fishing by supporting a toe in the water effort with their new 5g range of Float and feeder rods. Both tackle shops report doing plenty of business, but continue to experience turnover problems due to the supply issues caused by Covid and to a lesser extent Brexit

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Cobweb, the entire tackle trade is suffering from supply issues which they aren't necessarily to blame for. Such issues aren't unique to Drennan as it appeared you might be suggesting.

The reason for my initial response to you was because I couldn't quite understand why you seemed to be picking out Drennan for criticism. All they appear to be doing is publicising products before the shops actually have them. Drennan has done exactly that for many products before. I know that I've seen a few of their products on their website only to ask about them in a tackle shop and get a blank response. They usually become aware within a month or so, or at least they did pre-covid.

There are many different brands that tease products in this way. It's just another marketing strategy. Some products are teased for many months before they actually go on sale. Sometimes things go very wrong and the product doesn't materialise on time. Occasionally, the product arrives but the brand realise it's not of saleable quality and they don't get to the shops. That can certainly cause ructions, especially when shops take pre-orders.

For some reason, such teasing and pre-orders seem more prevalent in the carp tackle world, but the tease part is common enough right through the trade. Provided that they don't give dates they can't stick to, I don't see a great deal wrong with the practice. The tease I have no issues with, I'm not one for going down the pre-order route though. Some seem to love all that though.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Cobweb, the entire tackle trade is suffering from supply issues which they aren't necessarily to blame for. Such issues aren't unique to Drennan as it appeared you might be suggesting.

The reason for my initial response to you was because I couldn't quite understand why you seemed to be picking out Drennan for criticism. All they appear to be doing is publicising products before the shops actually have them. Drennan has done exactly that for many products before. I know that I've seen a few of their products on their website only to ask about them in a tackle shop and get a blank response. They usually become aware within a month or so, or at least they did pre-covid.

There are many different brands that tease products in this way. It's just another marketing strategy. Some products are teased for many months before they actually go on sale. Sometimes things go very wrong and the product doesn't materialise on time. Occasionally, the product arrives but the brand realise it's not of saleable quality and they don't get to the shops. That can certainly cause ructions, especially when shops take pre-orders.

For some reason, such teasing and pre-orders seem more prevalent in the carp tackle world, but the tease part is common enough right through the trade. Provided that they don't give dates they can't stick to, I don't see a great deal wrong with the practice. The tease I have no issues with, I'm not one for going down the pre-order route though. Some seem to love all that though.
I'm not sure that I implied anything but a general problem in the market due to Covid, If I did, then it was an error on my part. Being in business and holding professional qualifications for 30 years, and being a designate FD of a fully listed PLC, I would of course have little understanding of such marketing strategies, but I thank you for the insight into modern tactics. Such is not a "professional" habit that I endorse, but like MPs and party political broadcasts they exist, even if they are distasteful and misleading

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
OK, I concede defeat. You're obviously right and nothing I've said ever actually happens.

JLK

Well I got my 2nd gen joggers and acolyte 11ft ultra carrier section delivered last week which was wrong as it was the waggler section they sent. 😬
That got sent back and the correct one turned up today. So all good there.
They just need to sort out the marching band joggers and bring back the 2nd gen version which are far better than the new ones.