Tackle company websites, my musings

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Preston - ok, perhaps needs a refresh, need to put prices on and more measurements/weights. Sometimes difficult to find stuff e.g. there is a tab for side trays under seat boxes but doesn’t include all side trays they sell, some are elsewhere. Accept it’s more difficult when you have such a large range of products.

Matrix - perhaps the best, stuff easy to find, include prices (including spares) and lots of short videos on products. Good on measurements.

Drennan - good well thought out site, stuff easy to find, some videos but could be more short ones. Like the new products bit. No prices which is strange given the way they have rrp and their model of not huge discounts to help smaller shops.

MAP - behind the curve I think, basically on line catalogue which isn’t that user friendly to view or search, does have prices including pole spares. No videos, some measurements, few weights. Andy May seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting, few other videos etc coming from them.

Maver - Good site, straightforward layout, include prices, easy to find products. No weights, some measurements. Some videos, could be more.

Daiwa - good site, easy to navigate and find things, prices included. Some videos although if you go to the video tab some carp, sea and fly videos mixed in. Need more short videos of tackle. Good on measurements and dimensions.

Tricast - Poor website looks a bit neglected tbh. Has some newer products but also has some discontinued poles like the Iconic pro and talks about 2016 range, Front page has a banner saying new products 2018. Perception pole has been out over a year and not a mention anywhere. Don’t know why they put rrp and ssp.

what do others think? I do have a bee in my bonnet about putting dimensions and weights of products - so easy to get right and important when buying blind as many have to due to location or availability In shops.

Browner

Generally agree. Tend to only look at the ones that I can get items from In my local shops. Drennan, PI, Matrix and Korum. I do look at the AD site along with Bobco and Brenwick to see what prices are.

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
I never look at brand sites, I think in today’s world of social media and YouTube you’ll find these more up to date than a supplier website.

plus

If I’m looking for something I’ll just search google and shops will come up with the item, from there 9/10 the description is up to date with the info needed and importantly price 👍🏻

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like reading the blurb on some websites, usually along the lines of "these are the best rods we've made". I was only thinking the same about some fishery website the other day, often very little correlation between quality of fishing and quality of the site, but tackle companies would be doing themselves a favour by having a decent site.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My biggest gripe with tackle manufacturer's websites is lack of detail regarding their products.
It would not be any trouble to state the dimensions of their wares - take side trays for example, how many actually list the dimensions of their side trays?
Other tackle is the same, it's all guesswork as far as the customer is concerned, and I wonder how many sales have been lost or returned because someone couldn't see the dimensions of what they're buying.

The same with holdalls list in litre capacity - what's all that about? A 50litre holdall? A litre is approximately 10cm3 is it not, so how big width x height x depth is a 50ltr carryall, it's pure guess work.
The new Drennan bait tubs are another example, great they hold a pint, 2 pints, or even three pints, but does that mean they'll fit on my sidetray or in my holdall?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The Tricast one is pretty poor and I say that as a Tricast fan. It can’t be that difficult for manufacturers to include more dimensions, weights and helpful information. Oh and keep the pages on older stuff accessible on their website.

RMNDIL

The new Drennan bait tubs are another example, great they hold a pint, 2 pints, or even three pints, but does that mean they'll fit on my sidetray or in my holdall?

It's worse than that. Main website intro description says ' .....a square bait box is the best use of space'.

And the new ones are.......OBLONG !!!!

Original Maggiboxes are square.

FFS

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's worse than that. Main website intro description says ' .....a square bait box is the best use of space'.

And the new ones are.......OBLONG !!!!

Original Maggiboxes are square.

FFS
Oddly. I'm interested because they ARE oblong and might fit better on my Ventalite long side tray. I've been using Drennan's baitwaiters and square boxes for years still do at the moment

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Preston - ok, perhaps needs a refresh, need to put prices on and more measurements/weights. Sometimes difficult to find stuff e.g. there is a tab for side trays under seat boxes but doesn’t include all side trays they sell, some are elsewhere. Accept it’s more difficult when you have such a large range of products.

Matrix - perhaps the best, stuff easy to find, include prices (including spares) and lots of short videos on products. Good on measurements.

Drennan - good well thought out site, stuff easy to find, some videos but could be more short ones. Like the new products bit. No prices which is strange given the way they have rrp and their model of not huge discounts to help smaller shops.

MAP - behind the curve I think, basically on line catalogue which isn’t that user friendly to view or search, does have prices including pole spares. No videos, some measurements, few weights. Andy May seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting, few other videos etc coming from them.

Maver - Good site, straightforward layout, include prices, easy to find products. No weights, some measurements. Some videos, could be more.

Daiwa - good site, easy to navigate and find things, prices included. Some videos although if you go to the video tab some carp, sea and fly videos mixed in. Need more short videos of tackle. Good on measurements and dimensions.

Tricast - Poor website looks a bit neglected tbh. Has some newer products but also has some discontinued poles like the Iconic pro and talks about 2016 range, Front page has a banner saying new products 2018. Perception pole has been out over a year and not a mention anywhere. Don’t know why they put rrp and ssp.

what do others think? I do have a bee in my bonnet about putting dimensions and weights of products - so easy to get right and important when buying blind as many have to due to location or availability In shops.
Pretty good summation I like Browning's site for the same reason as I like Daiwa's - much more relevant info as far as I am concerned re dimensions, weight c/w and so on.Brownings is more suited to my style as I am just a reel, float and feeder rod user. I agree Preston's is complicated. While Preston's fans will relate to it well, as as an independent I tend to get lost with the brand names rather than a generic heading of Feeders or floats seat box accessories, etc - Good rods reels and other kit in there but not easy to find. Tricast I agree also but the rods are outstanding in my exp

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
The Tricast one is pretty poor and I say that as a Tricast fan. It can’t be that difficult for manufacturers to include more dimensions, weights and helpful information. Oh and keep the pages on older stuff accessible on their website.
I'll second that. I've used their rods and poles since they started out because I know that they produce quality gear, it's readily available in the North and you see a lot of it on the bank.

When I look at their website and fb page it makes me wonder how many potential sales they may be missing out on because quite frankly both are rubbish and well out of date. Incredible really for a company that is at the cutting edge of rod design and carbon technology.

StuH

Site Supporter
The MAP site is absolute rubbish, it must be harming their sales. I can't make head nor tale of the Guru site and it doesn't appear to have been updated for yonks.

CNSam

Site Supporter
As a software developer for over 15 years 'exploring' some of these websites does make me cringe a little bit. Obviously having a deeper understanding of how some of these sites are built helps but even the general 'user journey' and experience are shocking. Not to offend but you would have thought they would have made these sites as clear and concise as possible given that most anglers I speak to can't stand the web or mobiles.

Unfortunately I think a lot of these brands or sites have gone with the 'stick it up there and it will sell' and maybe it does but as pointed out, a few more pieces of information such as measurements really wouldn't go a-miss - even moving away from the brand sites, even AD's site is short on information...and don't even get me started on the likes of GoOutdoors etc!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
As a software developer for over 15 years 'exploring' some of these websites do make me cringe a little bit. Obviously having a deeper understanding of how some of these sites are built helps but even the general 'user journey' and experience are shocking. Not to offend but you would have thought they would have made these sites as clear and concise as possible given that most anglers I speak to can't stand the web or mobiles.

Unfortunately I think a lot of these brands or sites have gone with the 'stick it up there and it will sell' and maybe it does but as pointed out, a few more pieces of information such as measurements really wouldn't go a-miss - even moving away from the brand sites, even AD's site is short on information...and don't even get me started on the likes of GoOutdoors etc!
I was also into business systems development for a few years. Looking at AD's site I think that all they do is just copy the info from the manufacturer's site for the particular line they are offering. I agree the number of user friendly sites are very much in the minority with many over carping (no pun intended) on how grand their products are

No one has mentioned Shimano's site yet. I still have the link to it, but find that a big trawling exercise to find the rod and reel range I am interested in on the European site - maybe that's because of the uniqueness of British angling requirements?

BY far the easiest sites for me to negotiate and get info from are Daiwa's and Brownings', with Drennan getting the bronze. While a big chunk of my kit comes from those manufacturer's I do (via recommendations) buy from others after some research

Last edited:

RMNDIL

Oddly. I'm interested because they ARE oblong and might fit better on my Ventalite long side tray. I've been using Drennan's baitwaiters and square boxes for years still do at the moment
They may well suit you then. But the website says, or rather very strongly implies, that they are square when, in fact, they are oblong. Also no measurements or helpful info like the fact that the small one fits on top of the big one so you can access 2 baits at same time etc. Basic stuff really. It's all very poorly worded and misleading. Typical of the stuff Dave mentioned in the beginning.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
They may well suit you then. But the website says, or rather very strongly implies, that they are square when, in fact, they are oblong. Also no measurements or helpful info like the fact that the small one fits on top of the big one so you can access 2 baits at same time etc. Basic stuff really. It's all very poorly worded and misleading. Typical of the stuff Dave mentioned in the beginning.
It's a shame that Drennan aren't more on the ball with this - not quite sure where they are coming from with this advertising when there is no stock around. I don't want to be critical about Drennan as I think a lot of much of their gear but this marketing/advertising does seem a bit half baked. Why go to all this trouble advertising when there is little info coming out about when the stuff is available? My local tackle shop - a Drennan agent for years has no clue about when any of the new gear is going to be available= a bit off when tackle shops are already struggling cashflow wise with Covid related supply problems.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I was also into business systems development for a few years. Looking at AD's site I think that all they do is just copy the info from the manufacturer's site for the particular line they are offering. I agree the number of user friendly sites are very much in the minority with many over carping (no pun intended) on how grand their products are
You're bang on with that. A prime example is seatboxes. Some of the companies don't even list important info such as leg sizes (yes I know an XR36 will have 36mm legs & an SL30 will have 30mm legs) but some manufacturers simply have a name for their box. People need to know if they've got to replace all their accessories before making a massive purchase like a seatbox which could easily add over £100 to the project.