Tackle Barrow Advice Please.

mattnewark

I use the JRC Contact Barrow for lugging my gear across a field to get to the Trent.

Best thing I've bought for a number of years. I honestly can lift this up with all my gear and once you get moving on the wheel I can use 3 fingers on each hand to lift and push!

And it nicely folds down and lives in my crappy little Fiesta all year.

Truly

Site Supporter
I use the JRC Contact Barrow for lugging my gear across a field to get to the Trent.

Best thing I've bought for a number of years. I honestly can lift this up with all my gear and once you get moving on the wheel I can use 3 fingers on each hand to lift and push!

And it nicely folds down and lives in my crappy little Fiesta all year.
Just had a look on their site. I see what you mean by how small it packs down to. Similar weight and price to the Penrose but different concept. Thanks for sharing your experience. (y)

John Step

Site Supporter
I c an recommend the customer service at Prestige Carp Barrows. I recently burst the tyre and a replacement puncture proof wheel was despatched straight away. I use mine for all disciplines not just carping. Its very strong and there are spares available on the end of a phone call. A UK engineering company in Essex.
As to weight the only consideration is carrying it to put in the car. On a well balanced barrow the weight is immaterial as the wheel takes the weight.
It takes apart small enough to fit my small hatchback.

The advantage of the Penrose is of course the facility to use it as a platform.

Truly

Site Supporter
Just placed an order for the Penrose platform barrow, with one wheel. Will see how I get on with it. Always the option to buy more wheels if necessary.

Total

Site Supporter
Just placed an order for the Penrose platform barrow, with one wheel. Will see how I get on with it. Always the option to buy more wheels if necessary.
Enjoy.....:)(y)........I take it you got through to Penrose on the phone eventually then?:unsure:

Simmo

Not sure if Penrose is open at the moment. I contacted them with a query a couple of weeks ago & not had an answer as yet which is unusual for them. I haven’t tried phoning as it’s not that urgent. I’d give them a call & see what the score is before ordering online.
I messaged Penrose this afternoon as I've ordered their large barrow/platform and wanted to make sure that I would actually get one. They messaged back saying that they were operating as normal but, as their website states, they're waiting for materials to arrive. Reckoned my platform would be 2 weeks or so before I get it but at least all's well and they are still functioning. 👍🏼

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I saw on Facebook that Penrose have been working hard over the last few days to get some delayed orders dispatched, so that could explain any lack of contact. I'm going to be ordering a barrow platform from them next month.

Truly

Site Supporter
Penrose platform barrow, ordered on 16th March, arrived today. (y)
I have been having a play, trying out the best wheel position for easy carry/push.
Seems that if I get the main weight over the wheel, there is almost no weight to lift on the handles. Result (y):D.
A simple, well-made, ingenious design. Looking forward to loading it up for some longer walks on the Nene, when the new season opens.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Let the weight go over towards the front as if it wants to fall forward and it will self propell and you only have to hold the handles down not up, it will even go up slopes as long as it stays weight forward.

Truly

Site Supporter
After a bit of experimentation I decided that three wheels worked best for me on the penrose.......juggle around with the loading and the balance and manoeuvrability are just perfect...!

For my carp fishing I use the small penrose platform with two wheels at the front, nice and stable, I don't like the single wheel set up,but the three wheel set up looks good

The four wheel can be pretty amazing too! 😉👍

Let the weight go over towards the front as if it wants to fall forward and it will self propell and you only have to hold the handles down not up, it will even go up slopes as long as it stays weight forward.
I have been having another play with loading my Penrose single-wheel platform barrow. Getting the weight forward makes it effectively weightless, as Tinca Steve said. Trying various loading combinations, I found that unless I got a tiny bit of weight on the handles, it is inclined to tip when I let go of the handles.
I have had a good look at the website and saw that Penrose recommend the two wheel configuration for use on commercials, so wondered why ? Is it only suitable for proper paths ?
Would the two and/or three wheeled configurations be suitable for traversing field edges, pastures etc. where the ground is uneven ? Would the three wheeled configuration be much harder to push than the single wheel on the river bank as opposed to maintained paths on commercials. I very seldom fish commercials as I much prefer the Nene or the fenland drains, out in the countryside.
The Penrose will easily carry all the gear I would ever want to take.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I hate one wheel barrows, never been able to control them, I have my two wheel penrose set up with the wheels 3/4 along the platform then the chair is also hanging over the front, heaviest bag is forward of the wheels so it is counter balanced nicely, effortless pushing it.

I have used four wheels over rough terrain and it's very hard going, if you use two chunky wheels I think you will be okay, for rough I would say two is better than three, one is supposed to be better for rough going forward but harder to control as it can go sideways on you.

Total

Site Supporter
I have been having another play with loading my Penrose single-wheel platform barrow. Getting the weight forward makes it effectively weightless, as Tinca Steve said. Trying various loading combinations, I found that unless I got a tiny bit of weight on the handles, it is inclined to tip when I let go of the handles.
I have had a good look at the website and saw that Penrose recommend the two wheel configuration for use on commercials, so wondered why ? Is it only suitable for proper paths ?
Would the two and/or three wheeled configurations be suitable for traversing field edges, pastures etc. where the ground is uneven ? Would the three wheeled configuration be much harder to push than the single wheel on the river bank as opposed to maintained paths on commercials. I very seldom fish commercials as I much prefer the Nene or the fenland drains, out in the countryside.
The Penrose will easily carry all the gear I would ever want to take.
It's difficult to explain until you've done it, but I use a four wheeled version and even on uneven wet ground the versatility and stability of this barrow is brilliant.....

Get yourself another couple of wheels to make a three wheeler then you haven't got to be so precise how you load your Penrose barrow up....;)......Life is too short for making things difficult.....:love:

PeteC

Think I agree with Total....life's too short to struggle any more....! To be quite honest I'm not fit enough to go cross country any more, but the 3 wheel set up the way I use it just seems to work. Fitting the wheels pointing out increases stability and fitting them in the middle of the platform makes it a doddle to push down and lift the front wheel for improved turning. Everyone has there own preference but one thing for sure is that it's just a really good barrow.

Truly

Site Supporter
It's difficult to explain until you've done it, but I use a four wheeled version and even on uneven wet ground the versatility and stability of this barrow is brilliant.....

Get yourself another couple of wheels to make a three wheeler then you haven't got to be so precise how you load your Penrose barrow up....;)......Life is too short for making things difficult.....:love:
Just pushed the boat out and ordered a pair of wheels o_O(y)

Last edited: