Tackle Barrow Advice Please.

Truly

Site Supporter
Last summer I bought one of those NGT two wheeled trolleys, the type similar to a sack barrow. It is ok for even ground and can carry most of my gear for a day on the river. I have to carry my rod holdall on my shoulder, which is ok, but I would rather not.
Recently I have had some days on more remote stretches of the Nene, where access is along a field margin and 500 yards from the car park, to the nearest swim.
The trolley is difficult to manage on the uneven ground as the wheelbase is too narrow and it constantly tries to tip over.
One of our other members, of similar vintagte to me, was using one of those large carp barrows and carrying much more gear than I need for a day on the river. He kindly allowed me to try the weight when loaded, which was far too heavy for me. I see that some of those items weigh 15kgs + unloaded o_O.
I have been idly looking on line and came upon the Fox Explorer barrow. I think it would carry all my gear but not sure of what it weighs. Appears to pack into a small space too.
What are your thoughts on the Explorer and any other recommendations you may have ?

Gordy

Penrose Trolley/Platform. I simply wouldn’t use anything else. Sturdy, low centre of gravity, many choices of wheel arrangement. Gives you a platform or even clean place to leave your tackle beside you. So many reasons to buy one.

Reuben

Site Supporter
As above. I’ve got an old 2 wheel trolley at the moment that’s on it’s last legs - or wheels. I’ve already got a Penrose platform & plan to get the wheel kit & arms later this year. Makes sense for me as I use the platform instead of a footplate when necessary, plus the legs are the same 19mm square ones as my Korum Accessory chair - win win. Penrose is an excellent company to deal with too.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
The best on the market is the RTC Rigger:

Other good options are the Penrose and Fox Barrow Platforms, however the welds on the Fox Barrow handles are prone to going and may need to be reinforced with an additional weld.

PeteC

Another vote for the penrose.....build it exactly as you wish really. All I would say though is that it is possibly a bit on the heavy side when lifting in and out of the car....but that simply reflects the build quality.....I believe they actually do two sizes so the smaller one may be a bit lighter.
I was pretty fortunate that the factory is not far from me so I could go and have a look prior to buying...just an engineering unit really but nice folk to do business with....😊

Truly

Site Supporter
Penrose Trolley/Platform. I simply wouldn’t use anything else. Sturdy, low centre of gravity, many choices of wheel arrangement. Gives you a platform or even clean place to leave your tackle beside you. So many reasons to buy one.
I just had a look on the Penrose site thanks. The XXL model at £125 would seem to fit the bill (y) . The site gives the wheel size as 35mm, which I don't think can be right, perhaps 35cm (nearly 14 inches) ? What size is the wheel on your item (including the tyre).
I have emailed Penrose enquiring of the weight of the whole unit.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I rate the Rigger ('cos I've got one) but they are prohibitively expensive now - and I'm pleased I got mine when they were only twenty quid more than the Penrose.
The Rigger Plus is larger than the biggest Penrose and presumably heavier - however once it's loaded it's not difficult to push,

Image00009.jpg

The single wheel on mine is 360mm diameter - this is standard wheelbarrow size so replacements can be obtained from Screwfix or similar for less than eighteen quid.

Simon

Truly

Site Supporter
The Rigger is indeed very expensive, so off the list for me.

I think I will go with the Penrose, once I get an answer to the question of weight.

Judging from the reviews on an earlier and slightly smaller model ( 24x28 inch platform), it will be around 14 kg or 2 stone. That's a bit heavier than ideal but I think it manageable.
The smaller of the two models' platform is now 24 inches x 32 inches, which is a good size. I have been measuring up all the kit I would want to carry and it would be well master of it.

***Thank you everyone for the replies, I was not aware of this type of platform barrow, nor the manufacturers. (y) (y) .***

Reuben

Site Supporter
I just had a look on the Penrose site thanks. The XXL model at £125 would seem to fit the bill (y) . The site gives the wheel size as 35mm, which I don't think can be right, perhaps 35cm (nearly 14 inches) ? What size is the wheel on your item (including the tyre).
I have emailed Penrose enquiring of the weight of the whole unit.
Not sure if Penrose is open at the moment. I contacted them with a query a couple of weeks ago & not had an answer as yet which is unusual for them. I haven’t tried phoning as it’s not that urgent. I’d give them a call & see what the score is before ordering online.

Truly

Site Supporter
After a bit of experimentation I decided that three wheels worked best for me on the penrose.......juggle around with the loading and the balance and manoeuvrability are just perfect...!
Would I be correct in thinking that, in order to make your three wheeled configuration, I would need to buy the extra twin wheels and carriers part # PAS45 at a current cost of £40 ?
I would see how I get on with the platform barrow with single wheel first, but handy to know the other possible options, thanks.
The easier that I can make it for myself, the more areas I shall be able to fish.

PeteC

Would I be correct in thinking that, in order to make your three wheeled configuration, I would need to buy the extra twin wheels and carriers part # PAS45 at a current cost of £40 ?
I would see how I get on with the platform barrow with single wheel first, but handy to know the other possible options, thanks.
The easier that I can make it for myself, the more areas I shall be able to fish.
I think if you have a look at their website you can get a one/two/three or four wheel option as a unit...not sure if that works out any cheaper than getting a single wheel and then adding two more though. Personally the single wheel option didn't work for me as I have balance issues anyway....the three wheels give me much more stability.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
For my carp fishing I use the small penrose platform with two wheels at the front, nice and stable, I don't like the single wheel set up,but the three wheel set up looks good

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a Rigger ( the biggun) and yes its heavy but I had mine converted to a 4 wheel format and I use it for carping... its brilliant... I bought it when the XL was £159 years ago heavy but VERY strong

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The thing is any single axle (One or two wheel) can if balenced correctly will almost be self powered. The balence point needs to be just forward of the axle, as if it wants to fall forward, this makes it want to roll forward. I used to walk 1/2 way around Sywell with full kit with the rods on top all strapped down and felt just the same as fresh as when l started. Must admit mine was 2 wheel.

frankg

Site Supporter
When thinking about which size Rigger or Penrose to get....if there’s any chance you may want to use it as a platform out in the water, make sure you get one large enough to put your box on with the footplate extended. 👍🎣

Truly

Site Supporter
Not sure if Penrose is open at the moment. I contacted them with a query a couple of weeks ago & not had an answer as yet which is unusual for them. I haven’t tried phoning as it’s not that urgent. I’d give them a call & see what the score is before ordering online.
I telephoned just now, No reply, then it dropped into a voicemail for Mark Penrose. Perhaps they have a problem at present. I will leave it a while then try to make contact again.