tackle advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul35

Just wondering with me being pretty new to this game, what sort of tackle you would use for canal fishing not targetting any specific species and pretty happy with what i catch, barring the plenty of ruffe that i usually end up with, at the minute im using size 18 or 22 barbless hooks on 3 pound line, although thinking of using 5 pound line next time i go as i caught a my first chub on sunday a nice 3 and 1/2 pounder and it snapped the line just past the hook luckily it was in the landing net at the time and the hook came out ok any advice gratefully rec'd. cheers

Last edited:

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
You need to decide what you're fishing for. If you go using 5lb line for the chub then don't expect many bites from the roach and smaller fish. Stick with 3lb line and 2.5lb hooklength max. Play any big fish carefully and you shouldn't put the smaller fish off either. Also, stick to the smaller hooks. An 18 or 20 can easily be used inside a caster or for maggots.

adam_f

0.16 to a gama power sz 16 for the chub and probably 0.10 to a 22 b511 or for small fish a sensas 3560 i think.
use worm for the chub and maggots and pinkies for small fish

martin trice

are your jioking strat2 :| size 16 pr27... thats a carp hook u cant bend them wiv a tow truck! ild use a gama power on 0.14 and if your fishign for small fish 0.08 to a 22
b511

Status
Not open for further replies.