system restore on xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushyefc

aka kingslynn
hi all can any one help please i am trying to do a system rstore and it wont let me

the system restore is turned on

but every time i go back to a date its comes up saying it never restored

any help will be welcome

the gaffer

try rebooting it and and go again,if not then you may have to boot into safe mode and try it from there.

Col7777

Another suggestion is you may have a malaware trojan running or a virus that is stopping you doing a restore.

armstrong1

choppy
press f8 ,boot in safe mode , go to my computer, click on main h,drive which should be C go to program files and find i385 then in i385 there should be "32system" or "inst32" then the new installation should begin, thats what i,ve had to do and works fine , it installs a clean copy of xp but wipes any media you might have saved.

SteveH

Lindholme Refugee
Before doing the above, go to safe mode with networking, download and run adaware and cr@pcleaner. This may just remove any malware / viruses etc sand allow a restore when re-booted and put back into normal mode.

zenith20

Some computers have a system restore built in. I know my old computer a HP had one built in. I used to be able to press F10 and it'd go straight to the restore options. Some of them the restore button is F11. Give either one a go and see if its built in.

the gaffer

Originally posted by zenith20

Some computers have a system restore built in. I know my old computer a HP had one built in. I used to be able to press F10 and it'd go straight to the restore options. Some of them the restore button is F11. Give either one a go and see if its built in.

That is whats refered to as return to factory settings and completely wipes the hard drive and reinstalls it as from scratch.perhaps not what he wants to do.

zenith20

Originally posted by the gaffer

Originally posted by zenith20

That is whats refered to as return to factory settings and completely wipes the hard drive and reinstalls it as from scratch.perhaps not what he wants to do.

He could back up all the data he wants to keep. i don't think there is a way to restore from a point that isn't there.

rushyefc

aka kingslynn
ok lads there we go i have installed rubbish cleaner and done a check in safemode still no joy any other sugestions

cheers neil

Status
Not open for further replies.