Switching from waggler to pellet waggler. Same rod and adaptor?

turnpike

Site Supporter
I've got the Drennan Vertex Carp Waggler rod. 11ft Vertex Carp Waggler | Drennan International

I'm thinking I might want to try pellet waggler later this year. Can I just switch the waggler float (which I currently attach with a silicone adaptor) for a pellet waggler and use the same rod?

I see Drennan also do a Pellet Waggler rod but I don't know what the difference is or if it matters for the odd go at pellet waggling? 11ft Vertex Pellet Waggler | Drennan International

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Philnun87

You would probably be best going for loaded pellet wagglers turnpike if you are keen to swap between a traditional and pellet waggler set up on the same rod. The pellet waggler adaptors (the drennan ones are good in my opinion) will allow you to just swap between the floats with minimal hassle. If you go for unloaded you will have to faff around changing the shotting whenever you want to change.

11 / 12ft is the maximum length of rod you would need when pellet waggler fishing to be honest

nejohn

Site Supporter
You should not really have a problem as long as you are not casting big heavy floats to the horizon, just because it doesn't say pellet waggler on the but doesn't mean it won't do a decent job. One of the best pellet waggler rods I have is a 13ft Normark Avenger... powerful enough to stop decent sized fish, casts well and picks up line quickly also you don't get fish trying to get underneath platforms etc as often with the longer rod than you sometimes get with a shorter rod

davepellet

If the Vertex range follows the same pattern as the Series 7 range it has replaced, the pellet waggler will (as has been said above) be more powerful

Your existing carp waggler will be more than suitable for general purpose commercial float tactics as well as occasional pellet waggler, the fact it's a slightly softer actioned rod makes it more versatile, in my opinion...
I used to have the series 7 11ft carp waggler & used it for a host of applications, close range standard waggler, margin float for carp & tench and for the odd few hours pellet waggler... had carp into double figures with that rod, so no danger of it being undergunned...

I even used to use it for small stream trotting, it was that versatile, I only sold it when the Acolyte came out, otherwise I'd probably still have it

The Vertex - being an upgrade of the Series 7 - I would assume would be a lovely rod and just as versatile

davepellet

as regards rigs, I haven't fished pellet waggler for a couple of years now, but I wouldn't just switch floats, adjust the shotting & away I go...
the whole set-up for a standard waggler vs pellet waggler would be completely different...

with the standard waggler, I'd be looking at a delicate entry into the water on casting & small shot down the line to allow for a slow fall of the hookbait, and culminate in a lighter hooklength & small hook...

for pellet waggler (and I accept I might not be up to date with current commercial set-ups) my rig would feature 12" of doubled up & twizzled mainline, with the pellet waggler locked in the middle with big shot (AAA's) to make a distinct splash and no shot further down the line
then the hooklength would be 12-24" of line of equal or stronger strength (albeit low diameter) than the mainline... as it will take a lot of hammer... if you're catching

Philnun87

as regards rigs, I haven't fished pellet waggler for a couple of years now, but I wouldn't just switch floats, adjust the shotting & away I go...
the whole set-up for a standard waggler vs pellet waggler would be completely different...

with the standard waggler, I'd be looking at a delicate entry into the water on casting & small shot down the line to allow for a slow fall of the hookbait, and culminate in a lighter hooklength & small hook...

for pellet waggler (and I accept I might not be up to date with current commercial set-ups) my rig would feature 12" of doubled up & twizzled mainline, with the pellet waggler locked in the middle with big shot (AAA's) to make a distinct splash and no shot further down the line
then the hooklength would be 12-24" of line of equal or stronger strength (albeit low diameter) than the mainline... as it will take a lot of hammer... if you're catching
You could use stots (which won’t cause damage to your mainline) down the line for the traditional waggler and then just take these off so there is no shot down the line and reattach a longer / stronger hooklength and then you have a pellet waggler set up. If you are using unloaded floats and therefore larger shot you will have to break down and set up again. If you put silicon on your line you will be able to change larger shot easier.

it also depends on what you are fishing for and how far you are casting with the traditional wagg too. A lot of pellet wagg anglers will use 4 / 5lb line in open water so that they can cast more effectively. This would be fine in the summer for traditional wagglers if fishing close in for carp for example

Philnun87

I've got the Drennan Vertex Carp Waggler rod. 11ft Vertex Carp Waggler | Drennan International

I'm thinking I might want to try pellet waggler later this year. Can I just switch the waggler float (which I currently attach with a silicone adaptor) for a pellet waggler and use the same rod?

I see Drennan also do a Pellet Waggler rod but I don't know what the difference is or if it matters for the odd go at pellet waggling? 11ft Vertex Pellet Waggler | Drennan International

Thanks and Happy New Year!
I use the acolyte carp waggler for my pellet wagg work which is definitely not an out and out power tool. I find it much better as it bends right through, which I like, and absorbs any lunges reducing hook pulls. I’ve landed fish to 17lb on it just fine.

I don’t own a vertex unfortunately, but if they are similar actions to the Acolytes the carp waggler might even be better if you like a through action rod