Swingtips or Quiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Hi,

Which is the better for bream fishing on a stillwater when using a feeder a swing tip or a quivertip? Swingtips used to be poplar a few years ago but dont get used now but i have read in some old ATimes about them and was wondering as they look very sensitive.

I'm hoping to go to Ireland in may so any tips would also be welcome

Thanks -- Terri

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
When fishing Castle Loch, Lochmaben I used to use a swing tip. Now I always use a quiver. Perhaps its me but I always had difficulty casting with a swing tip. Now i only ever use quivers, and then not very often 'cos i prefer pole fishing.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

scouse

'River Man'
Hi terri
where in ireland are you going?
and are you going just to fish the loughs,
or the rivers,when i fish in ireland
i always use the sidewinder on the loughs they are so sensitive
you wont miss a bite, let me know terri
tightlines dave (scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
There was also a Springtip,or Spring quiver, like a two piece quiver tip, with a long thin coiled spring in the cetre. This spring required very little pull to register a big movement as it did not have to bend along its length, like a quiver, but at the most sensitive centre point of the spring. Sensitivity could be adjusted, by pushing the tip in to the spring, making it stiffer, or sliding the tip out and making it more sensitive.
This could be done after casting, so that a stiffer action could be used whilst casting and then after tightening to the weight, made more sensitive by easing out the tip, or if wind started to cause problems, then sliding the tip in to counter the wind pull.
Some swear by the swingtip as the most sensitive indicator for bream fishing, particularly for drop back bites, but as Geoff says, the difficulties most people have with casting a swingtip rod including loss of accuracy, distance and a number of wrap round crack-offs!, plus the difficulty of reading on the drop bites and the large indication of liners,found the quivertip a popular introduction, as it is easy to cast and relatively easy to read.
Try one out Terri, you may get on with it OK and they shouldnt be very expensive.
While I'm here, Dave , Whats a Sidewinder?
Thanks
Trev

scouse

'River Man'
hi ziptrev
a sidewinder is like a swing tip
but you put the sidewinder on the middle of the rod
ask your tackle dealer for one
if you have problems let me know and i.ll send
you the mag which tell you about it
tightlines dave (scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out and scream if lost!
In Co.Cavan in April and 2nd trip in June touch wood.
Staying on L.Oughter and thats so big, need all the help I can get!
Cheers
Trev

Larry

Lazarus
When i used to fish for bream year's ago i used a fine quiver tip &target board set up in a bank stick .You line the tip on the board so you can see the smallest bite.I don't no wether the board's are availble now but if diyee you can make yourself one in know time.

Cheer's Larry

scouse

'River Man'
Hi ziptrev
im off to ireland in june going to
co.cavan belturbut, the creamery stretch
fished lough rand last year and im sure its part of lough oughter
i have asked for some info as soon as i get it ill let you know,
were leaving on june the first from liverpool, (seacat,) when are you going in june if its the first of june we could meet up and have a
pint of the black gold
tightlines dave (scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam

Dammit Dave,
Last 2 weeks in June, but will be trying Belturbet in April! (only about 8 miles away on Killashandra road)
I'll look out for the creamery stretch and let you know whats doing when I return.
Let us pray togther for the weather (We know the black will be OK lol)

cheers
Trev

scouse

'River Man'
hi ziptrev
sorry ill miss you
if you go to beturbut the creamery stretch is in the town center
you will have to get there early because it is s*** hot no kidding
fish on the floating pontoon and cast to the middle
bream go to 8lb plus 100lb is no problem if conditions right
and there is a tackle shop just over the bridge and plenty of pubs and shops if you want to fish the river erne ask were seans place is its a complex were anglers stay
the river there is brill for roach fishing on the stick
there is a lake passed seans about 1mile its sign posted but cant remember how to spell it it holds tench to 10lb no kidding ill try and find how you spell it and let you know
tightlines dave (scouse)

paul mc

Hi Teri
I normally use a quiver tip(oops that should have said swing tip) when fishing close in with a light ledger or as a second rod. You can now get carp swingtips where the line goes throgh the middle of a hollow piece of carbon and is conected to the rod with a screw in fitting or a short piece of push over rubber, this type of tip can cast at distance without problems.
The trouble with fishing a swing tip at distance is the undertow pulls a swing tip a lot easier than a quivertip.

Regards Paul Mc

Edited by - paul mc on 23 January 2002 6:28:41 PM

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Trev
thanks for the email, one thing i forgot to mention
when you fish lough oughter
use a 3 to 4 foot hook length,
and invest in a slamo disgorger as the bream have
a habit of deep hooking and the slamo is the best tool for the job
tightlines dave (scouse) dwshamus_e0.gif

Terri

Thanks everyone

Dave whereabouts is the co.cavan belturbut creamery stretch and have you any details of accomadation around there. Is it a good place to go for a first timer?

Thanks Terri

scouse

'River Man'
Hi Terri
were are you arriving at when you get to ireland
if you let me know i can tell you how to
get to belturbut
tightlines dave (scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
Thanks for Leprechaun & all your other help! cttequila_e0.gif
For Tequila read Guinness!

mookie

mookie
Hi Terri -- Hope this works as l have just logged in today...l have been a keen swingtip angler for years, and have just bought a 11ft Browning leger rod with screw in tip...l find it more sensitive than a quiver but you will have to wrap leadwire or something similar round the swingtip when its windy, in fact l have used it on a very slow stretch of my local River Tees..and bagged 20lb of Dace...that was back in the early 80s..

Anyway good luck its great fun....

Cheers

MOOK

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
Got myself a sidewinder for the Lough today,
3 interchangeable tip job, and looks the part.
Sold under the Polaris Sidewinder 111 label, by Anglers World, which firm of course are based right here in Chesterfield!
And I had to ask you what it was lol!
Thought that might raise a smile!
Maps in Post, thanks again my old smiler from scousland!

Cheers Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 23 January 2002 7:24:55 PM

Edited by - Ziptrev on 23 January 2002 7:25:54 PM

Edited by - Ziptrev on 23 January 2002 7:27:33 PM

scouse

'River Man'
Hi trev
glad you got a sidewinder if it has two holes in the nipple that goes on the rod the hole nearest the rod is for still waters and the other one is for river ledgering when it is set up you put the rod straight out infront of you not on the side, set the tips at 45degrees for back bites if you have any problems email me and we can talk on the phone tightlines dave(scouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.