Swingtip Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Can anyone recommend a decent swingtip rod? (I know no-one uses them any more but I still don't think they can be beaten for bream fishing)

I'm currently using an old Shakespeare Alpha leger rod (9.5ft and made of glassfibre) which has a beautifully soft action but isn't really long enough for fishing at distance.

I've tried butchering a push-in quivertip to make a swingtip attachment for one of my other tip rods but none of them feel quite right.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted (apart from the new John Wilson avon/quiver - I've tried that and its way too powerful)

Tight Lines

Simon

I have wondered about this too, does anyone make threaded tip eyes. all you then have to do is find a good rod and change tip eyes.

Can I have a new float, this one keeps sinking

ray

hiya gents, take a look at the daiwa vulcon x(120tta), its a twin tip avon and has a threaded top eye for a swingtip, i have been trialing one for a couple of months and cannot find fault with it.

if every angler picked up one piece of rubbish every outing, the banks would be spotless???
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hiya Simon, have a look at the TRI-CAST feeder rods, i don't know if you've seen them before, but they have push over quiver tips which makes the end runner about 1 inches from the end, so a swing tip can be pushed on, Tri-Cast sell there own swing tips to fit these rods but its simple to fit your own, thats what iv'e done with mine,

Iv'e also got a J/Willson and you're right the avon style rods are too beefy for breaming IMO.

teepee.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've seen those in the past Tony but I was put off because they seem a little on the pricey side - I'm sure the one I was looking at was getting on for 200.

I haven't come across the Daiwa Vulcan Ray - is it in the current catalogue? (Although if it's described as an Avon style it may be a little too beefy)

Simon

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Simon

The Ron Thompson range contains a rod that has 2 top sections, one for ledger work, and one for float work.

The ledger top section had an eye for adding a threaded swing-tip.

I've only seen it in my local tackle shop once, about 6-8 months ago, so I don't know if it's been dropped from the range.

AlanP

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
A rod tip ring is available that is threaded for a quiver/swing tip. Fuji do several patterns as does Holloway and Hopkins. One or both of theses makes should be available from any good tackle shop.
I have a Diawa sensor z twin tip 11 foot rod its rated 'avon' but it is nowhere near as heavy as the John Wilson Avon (I have one of these to). The rods rated to use line to 4lb BS.

chill out go fishing

ray

simon, yes the vulcan is in the new range, it is a very versitile piece of kit, all daiwa quiver tips will fit it (and drennan) and it is not quite as powerfull as the j. wilson.

i have used mine on a number of occasions, for river work (excellent) and on my local res for roach and bream, by using the medium daiwa tip i found it to be very good indeed on the res and the tip supplied is spot on for the rivers.

everybody has there own preferance but for the money it cant harm to take a nosey at it.

p.s. its on the daiwa web site.

if every angler picked up one piece of rubbish every outing, the banks would be spotless???
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Try the new maver reactorlite feeder system, its a superb bit of kit and u get 5 differnet rods at varying lengths this rod will cover everything for you, not cheap but what a bit of kit, its the best rod i have ever used or seen mate for tip work from small silver fish to huge carp & big river fish this rod will do the lot.

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

russjo

Simon

I have been looking at the Drennan DRX Feeder Rods. I think that the stillwater models actually come with a swing tip as well as quiver tips. Might be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.