Swing Tip

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Just as a point of interest of mine is that I don't ever read about anyone using swing tips any more. Back in the day (haha) I used to love using the method. Every time it swung up or to the side my heart would miss a beat as I either struck into a fish or many a time nothing at all. Do any of you older guys (or youngsters) still use one when ledgering?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Sadly no longer as I have limited time at the bank. However, I still have my rod and a number of swing tips of varying length

SteveAmo

I use one every now and again!

I’m of an age where we were bought up on fishing Rudyard Lake with 9ft swing tip rods home made from North Western Blanks.

I’ve got an old Tricast 4 x 4 that’s got a swing tip adapter and some “angled rubbers” that I had off Mark Addy many years ago.

Nowt to beat the sight of a swing tip rising up.
???

satinet

Site Supporter
I used to fish it when I was a lad in the late 80s and 90s. I don't remember being very successful on it but then I wasn't generally back then.

I've still got a 9ft sundridge feeder rod with a screw in eye and a tip somewhere. Awful rod to be honest compared to what's around now. I do remember paying the princely sum of 40 pounds for it.

When did the quiver come in? As I remember everyone was on the swing tip back then. But that's probably not true.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Still use it when targeting bream - can see the bites develop so much better.

Have a couple of old tip rods, but tend to use a greys barbel rod now which I have fitted a screw eye to

rudd

Site Supporter
Use one on occasion for close range off a dam into deep water.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I still use them occasionally Very handy for tight swims where it's just not enough room to get the quiver tip in. Casting with one isn't so much of a problem if you have things set up nicely. On some swingtips, I found the rubber to be too long so I used to chop a bit off and put another 3 or 4 rings on the swingtip, this keeps the line straight between the top runner of the rod and the swingtip. I found in doing this, even overhead casts can be made with relative ease.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
We used to use them all the time as kids don’t recall seeing a rod with a threaded tip ring since I came back to the sport.

Always carrying a bit of lead wire in your box to combat the wind was the way to go too.

PJG

Great method - in the right conditions, very, very sensitive! The best cast is a gentle lob.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use them sometimes, just because I can but as has been said a great method on the right day and it's good to watch the swing tip slowly rising. I have an old Normark swing tip rod which is absolutely perfect for silvers

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I used one in the summer on a large water I fish, it was more or less flat calm , I got a bite and the tip shot up like an excited teenager in an Ann Summers shop.
Low double carp on the end, was a lot different playing it on swing tip than quiver tip. Still use it now and then.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I used one in the summer on a large water I fish, it was more or less flat calm , I got a bite and the tip shot up like an excited teenager in an Ann Summers shop.
Low double carp on the end, was a lot different playing it on swing tip than quiver tip. Still use it now and then.
Well, that's a new comparison of excitement to me :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I think I could write a 300 page memoirs book just based around old coarse fishing methods an experiences.;)

JayD

I used to love fishing the swingtip, on both stillwater, and slow rivers, but as others have said the screw in type were sometimes awkward to cast. I tried fitting my rods with a short length of cane whipped over my tip ring, and then could attach the swingtip via a length of rubber tube, but was still not happy with it. I then fitted a swingtip to a long bankstick, and put a slight curve in it so that my line would hold under it. It left my rod without anything to hamper the cast, I then just hooked the line under the 'swingtip' and it worked just like a normal one, showing lifts, and drop back bites. I could fish it with any rod I wanted, and easily change indicators to suit conditions. The only drawback I found was that I had to have enough room in my swim to set it up.

John.