Swing tip question

Browner

Site Supporter
I fancy doing a bit of swing tipping for the bream on my local ressy. Haven’t used one for thirty years.
I don’t have a rod with a screwed eye so if i take a spare quiver tip from my Drennan S7 feeder rod, say a 4oz, cut it just past the first eye and fitting a piece of rubber between the two pieces would it work? Not sure where to get the rubber from?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hollow pole elastic will do the job, something around 16

You might find the quiver tip too light though so either reverse it, hang it from the thin end, or be prepared to add some weight to the tip

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The question was will it work, the answer is yes it will work. Only trouble is a quiver tip rod is a bit soft so don't go for a great distance. You need at least an inch pushed onto the tip or it could slip and twist.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Browner

Here you go..

And if you want a threaded top eye for the rod...

Last edited:

Browner

Site Supporter
Hollow pole elastic will do the job, something around 16

You might find the quiver tip too light though so either reverse it, hang it from the thin end, or be prepared to add some weight to the tip
Agree. I was thinking of using some soldering wire around the tip.

Browner

Site Supporter
The question was will it work, the answer is yes it will work. Only trouble is a quiver tip rod is a bit soft so don't go for a great distance. You need at least an inch pushed onto the tip or it could slip and twist.
My S7 Carp feeder has a bit of back bone and only looking for 20/30 yards so think it might be ok.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Agree. I was thinking of using some soldering wire around the tip.
If you put wire round the tip, and you get a twist on casting, then the line will trap and probably break.

Total

Site Supporter
Have a look on eBay there’s someone who sells the angled rubbers
Steve, I was simply pointing out the angled rubbers were all sold out at Benwicks.....;)(y)

.....Fishing with a 'broken rod top' is old hat and completely unnecessary.....Much better tools available now.....:)

Browner

Site Supporter
@Browner

Here you go..

Cheers. Found a place called “guides and spares“ that does them as well.

Browner

Site Supporter
Steve, I was simply pointing out the angled rubbers were all sold out at Benwicks.....;)(y)

.....Fishing with a 'broken rod top' is old hat and completely unnecessary.....Much better tools available now.....:)
Old hat and Completely unnecessary? That’s like saying a dictionary is completely old hat and unnecessary because we have spell checkers.
Ive got better tools, over a dozen feeder rods in various forms. It’s about trying a method that I used to love.

Total

Site Supporter
Old hat and Completely unnecessary? That’s like saying a dictionary is completely old hat and unnecessary because we have spell checkers.
Ive got better tools, over a dozen feeder rods in various forms. It’s about trying a method that I used to love.
My dear Mr Browner,
It's my opinion of which I'm fully entitled too....:).....Please feel free to crack on with your swing tipping and enjoy reliving fishing methods you used to love.....(y)

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
If you get a set of rubbers use the black one and throw the others away , you need a good stiff rubber to stop tangles and to combat tow and then casting 60 , 70 metres no problem , using things like hollow elastic and you'll be cracking off every other cast , it's a lovely method with the right gear

PJG

It's a great method - go for it! However it's no good for deep water close in because of the angle of the line. Use silicon tubing as the hinge and cast slower than you would with a feeder rod.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I think you would be better off with something a bit stiffer mate. A pellet waggler rod or a 12ft waggler rod. Buy a threaded tip ring and fit it yourself. Just heat up the current tip ring with a lighter and pull off. Fit the threaded with a dab of araldite.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I think you would be better off with something a bit stiffer mate. A pellet waggler rod or a 12ft waggler rod. Buy a threaded tip ring and fit it yourself. Just heat up the current tip ring with a lighter and pull off. Fit the threaded with a dab of araldite.
I did exactly that with a 10' float rod.

Total

Site Supporter
I did exactly that with a 10' float rod.
^^ Checks club rule book.....:oops::deal:....Yes, that's fine....:blahblah:;)

safe_image.gif

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Would it not be better to look for a second hand leger rod, with a threaded tip? These rods were intended to be used with swingtips. It would be more efficient and if you are wanting to enjoy fishing an old method, then a more authentic experience. Leger rods are fairly cheap to pick up second hand.