sweaty maggots

robinta

Other than putting in a fridge, which I cant do, whats the best thing to add to maggots to stop them sweating.

I usually buy the day before fishing and put them in a cool bag with a few ice blocks on the garage floor overnight. Then the next morning change to new ice blocks. Usually that works ok but last time the maggots were a mess of froth when I got to the lake.

Anything I could add to them ?

ravey

Add maize meal, don't store them with the lid on, and try to keep them in the shade.

robinta

They're in a garage, so shaded. I usually add a bit ot groundbait tbh but never tried maize meal/flour.

grannyspodder

dont put flour on them its too fine and clogs them up. maize meal is ok because its coarser. I have the same problem as in im not allowed to put them in the fridge so I keep mine in cat litter trays in the shed on the cold floor and give them plenty of maize meal or groundbait sometimes. Just like the guys have said already....

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Put them in a wide open container or a bucket,put maize meal on them or ground bait.
I used to put mine in a bucket in a shed and they were fine even in warm weather.

dumdum

Lots of Shallow trays with a very shallow later of maggots works best, saw dust keeps em better than maize for longer periods, if it's more than a week bag em and suck the air out, let em breathe every few days tho, worked for me at the lindholme festival this year

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Just kept maggots OK in flour for two weeks on hols in France. Most of the pint still wriggling when I returned.

farang

what do you mean you are not allowed to keep them in the fridge???
be a man and stand up for yourself
when I married she said you cant put them in there
I told her the maggots where here before she was so she could put up with the bait or she could go
WHATS HAPPENED TO PEOPLE!!!!! ARE THERE NO MEN ANYMORE????

bream fisherman

even in the fridge they can sweat though. so add a good handful of maize meal.
if you cant have em in the fridge cos your under the thumb of your missus, then the garage floor in a big bowl with plenty of maize meal and keep em uncovered works.

when i go fishing the bottom shelf of the fridge is mine for the maggots and casters, and hemp.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Buy a cheap fridge for shed/garage. I actually have 3, only one is plugged in and one has pellets and one for ground bait. Mouse and rat proof.

Sam Vimes

Refridgerated or not, the biggest cause of sweating maggots is leaving the lid on a bait box. Wherever possible, at home or when out fishing, get that lid off. If maggots are uncovered, and not overly deep in the container, they shouldn't sweat.

If you need to add an extra something because they have got sweaty, bran, sawdust and maize meal are the best bets (I prefer maize meal). However, if you are desperate, flour or cornflour are better than nothing. Most households will have a bit of one of then lurking in the cupboards somewhere.

fosters

hi lads fridge a no go no shed or garage what the best way to keep ur maggots many thanks

SpiderWebb

Spider.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by lliopp

Buy a cheap fridge for shed/garage. I actually have 3, only one is plugged in and one has pellets and one for ground bait. Mouse and rat proof.
[:T] I bought one of those small fridges that go on the work surface, got it from one of the charity shops, keep it in the garage so no clash of opinions.
tankie63.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Kitchen roll!
Had a pint in a big bait tub with plenty of holes in an they were left outside and were sweaty and climbing up the sides. 2 pieces of kitchen roll im a within a hr they were perfect again. The kitchen roll had changed colour to pink as well