SWAC winter League Final Round

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Last Sunday brought my first winter league campaign to an end, 20 of us were at Goldstone Farm in Ashdon, Essex. Mainly small carp 1-3lb, with a few bigger ones to 8lb or so. Lots of small Rudd and a selection of other silvers.

I was drawn peg 8 on lake 1, not a great draw, just open water with no features other than scruffy looking margins on both sides.

Set up a short line at 2+2, a long line at 13m, both margins and a couple of shallow rigs.

Bait tray was 6mm meat, hard pellet, corn and Groundbait.

Started off on the short line, and very quickly realised that small fish were likely to be a problem. By small fish I mean 1oz Rudd, when I fed a few cubes of meat they attacked it immediately, to the point that a few minutes later the meat cubes were still on the surface, being knocked around by the tiny blighters. The hookbait was getting through, but none of the feed, whether potted in or loose fed.

Hsd a couple of small carp in the first 30 minutes, but nothing to really get excited about. Went out long on banded 6mm over Groundbait, not much better, but at least the Rudd seemed less interested.

Had a run of carp during the 2nd hour, but not quick or big enough to keep up with a couple of anglers opposite.

Decided to start feeding the margins early, one side with sweetcorn and Groundbait, the other with 6 and 8mm pellets. The corn side was full of little Rudd, the float was constantly moving and dinking, but it did result in a run of roach weighing 6-8oz, which lasted for most of the 3rd hour.

Decided to feed but leave the other margin until later, and rotated the short and long lines with pellets.

Had a few line bites so decided to try shallow, and had 6 carp up in the water, also lost a couple.

Back into the margins with 90 minutes to go, not much happening on the corn line, so tried the pellet side. Still lots of false indications from little Rudd, but the last 45 mins saw a run of 5 carp of 3lb each to finish off with.

The last 30 minutes had seen the forecasted thunder storms loom closer, the skies went dark and ultimately opened, packing up and weighing in was subject to the heaviest rain I can remember. Literally wouldn’t have been any wetter if I’d jumped in the lake.

I weighed in a total of 30lb 15oz, returned my soaking wet kit to the car and caught up with the now very soggy weigh in with a few to go.

I ended up 3rd of 9 on my lake, and 6th of 20 overall, winning weight of 83lb and runner up of 59lb both coming from the other lake. A decent result, and could have been better if I’d found a way to avoid the tiny Rudd a bit quicker.

Also turns out I had the top silvers weight, so my first ever brown envelope, so we’ll pleased with that.

Final league table saw me secure 7th place overall out of 18. Of the 6 counting scores from 8 rounds, I had two fourth places, two sixth places, a seventh and sn eighth. Given that the first 2 rounds were my first 2 matches ever, I’m pretty happy with that outcome.

I’ve learned loads, and continue to do so. Really glad I took the plunge and took up match fishing…

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Last Sunday brought my first winter league campaign to an end, 20 of us were at Goldstone Farm in Ashdon, Essex. Mainly small carp 1-3lb, with a few bigger ones to 8lb or so. Lots of small Rudd and a selection of other silvers.

I was drawn peg 8 on lake 1, not a great draw, just open water with no features other than scruffy looking margins on both sides.

Set up a short line at 2+2, a long line at 13m, both margins and a couple of shallow rigs.

Bait tray was 6mm meat, hard pellet, corn and Groundbait.

Started off on the short line, and very quickly realised that small fish were likely to be a problem. By small fish I mean 1oz Rudd, when I fed a few cubes of meat they attacked it immediately, to the point that a few minutes later the meat cubes were still on the surface, being knocked around by the tiny blighters. The hookbait was getting through, but none of the feed, whether potted in or loose fed.

Hsd a couple of small carp in the first 30 minutes, but nothing to really get excited about. Went out long on banded 6mm over Groundbait, not much better, but at least the Rudd seemed less interested.

Had a run of carp during the 2nd hour, but not quick or big enough to keep up with a couple of anglers opposite.

Decided to start feeding the margins early, one side with sweetcorn and Groundbait, the other with 6 and 8mm pellets. The corn side was full of little Rudd, the float was constantly moving and dinking, but it did result in a run of roach weighing 6-8oz, which lasted for most of the 3rd hour.

Decided to feed but leave the other margin until later, and rotated the short and long lines with pellets.

Had a few line bites so decided to try shallow, and had 6 carp up in the water, also lost a couple.

Back into the margins with 90 minutes to go, not much happening on the corn line, so tried the pellet side. Still lots of false indications from little Rudd, but the last 45 mins saw a run of 5 carp of 3lb each to finish off with.

The last 30 minutes had seen the forecasted thunder storms loom closer, the skies went dark and ultimately opened, packing up and weighing in was subject to the heaviest rain I can remember. Literally wouldn’t have been any wetter if I’d jumped in the lake.

I weighed in a total of 30lb 15oz, returned my soaking wet kit to the car and caught up with the now very soggy weigh in with a few to go.

I ended up 3rd of 9 on my lake, and 6th of 20 overall, winning weight of 83lb and runner up of 59lb both coming from the other lake. A decent result, and could have been better if I’d found a way to avoid the tiny Rudd a bit quicker.

Also turns out I had the top silvers weight, so my first ever brown envelope, so we’ll pleased with that.

Final league table saw me secure 7th place overall out of 18. Of the 6 counting scores from 8 rounds, I had two fourth places, two sixth places, a seventh and sn eighth. Given that the first 2 rounds were my first 2 matches ever, I’m pretty happy with that outcome.

I’ve learned loads, and continue to do so. Really glad I took the plunge and took up match fishing…
Well done mate. First brown envelope. Get in. 💥💥💥👍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Stewie, Top half finish for your first time in a league is a good effort and topped off with a first brown envelope to finish with.
Onward and upwards. :upthumb: