SVC at Browning Cudmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
News just in:

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) officials have issued an order prohibiting the movement of fish to and from the Brewster and Suez canals on the Browning Cudmore complex at Whitmore following an outbreak of a contagious viral disease in carp.

The outbreak of Spring Viraemia of Carp (SVC) was confirmed on Friday at the 14 water development - but fishing will continue on one of the infected canals.

Although having no implications for human health, SVC is a serious viral disease which can kill carp as well as a variety of other species including goldfish, tench, pike and wells catfish.

The order was issued on Friday after laboratory tests confirmed the presence of SVC, a notifiable disease under the Diseases of Fish Act 1937, and before the order can be lifted the site must test negative for SVC for three consecutive years.

However, for match anglers visiting Cudmore, it is business as usual on the 60 peg Suez canal (Brewsters is closed), and contests have been fished over the weekend (see results).

Speaking on the decision to allow fishing on the infected water, Cudmore's Cyril Brewster told Sentinel Angling: "We are open as usual, as DEFRA cannot shut us down, only recommend we ask anglers to dip their nets into disinfectant solutions we are providing on site."

Asked how he had found SVC was prevalent in the Suez and Brewster canals, Brewster said: "I was not happy with initial results carried out by another agency and so called DEFRA in to find out why fish were dying. It transpires SVC is the problem - as it is on most fisheries in the country. The difference is we notified the authorities, whereas most don't."

Insisting continued fishing will not create further problems, Brewster added: "I am not going to take the moral high ground on whether or not fishing would go ahead.

"Legally, we are allowed to let people fish on the principle of dipping nets in disinfectant before and after a match - not that we can enforce it. Therefore, we are trading as usual and will be consulting with our insurers over the loss of fish stocks and their replacements."

More reports in the Maggot Times

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I was told of this yesterday but unconfirmed then. I was talking to a sec., of a local club who was very concerned. He was asking what disinfectant is used as he wants to put some at his clubs pools. So its over to you chaps for the answer please.

Having read the above I was disgusted by the stance taken to keep this fishery open. Do we realy believe that all anglers will dip there nets? If I remember rightly all nets need a soak for at least 15 mins., for the disinfectant to work and a quick dip is totally ineffective. Again I thought the only solution was for nets to be dryed throughly after use.
Is this the start of another foot and mouth type out break?
We need to be very careful now, please take all actions that will help prevent the spread of this.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I too have seen this before where a fishery asks anglers to dip their nets before and after use but in most cases the request is ignored and if you ask the question why, the genuine ones will respond that it's to much hassle on the way in, and who wants a wet net in the car afterwards?

The only 'responsible' action for the fishery owners to take if they insist on wanting to keep the fishery open would be to provide nets for the use of the visiting anglers - landing and keepnets, and insist on their use only.
Then again that also depends on how they see their responsibilities to other fishery owners.
At the end of the day, all fishery owners should take steps to protect their fish stocks generally but it sure would help if other owners acted responsibly as well.

Dave

angler-mark

I can't see this fishery getting much change from their insurers. As they say themselves, they cannot be shut down, but if it is being recommended by the DEFRA that they do so , then IMOP they seem more interested in profit rather than the health and welfare of their own fish and also this action will put other fisheries at risk. Sounds like sheer stupidity and greed to me! [:0]

Tight Lines

Mark

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mark i take it you've never been to brown n mudmore ?
Its a real sh*t hole mate, you can only use their baits etc so yes mate they are all about profit & thats it.

Below is a bit i've just been mailed about the SVC thing.

ONE of the Midlands most popular day ticket and match venues - Browning Cudmore Fisheries - has been struck down by the killer carp virus SVC.

The Staffordshire water had the disease confirmed by government experts on Friday morning although the fishery says the deaths have already stopped following three months of problems.

Fishery manager Frank Clarke confirmed he had lost 'hundreds of fish' and told Midland Angler magazine: "There are loads of fisheries in this area that have had the same problem through the summer but not reported it".

"In fact all the problems have stopped already and to be honest we are not convinced that SVC is the cause as only carp over 4lb have been affected."

"The only lake which had significant problems was Brewsters," he continued. ,"In a way it's blessing because we now plan to drain that lake and restock it with carp to 2lb plus chub and barbel with a view to re-opening in the spring which will make it a much better match venue".

"The anglers fishing Brewsters didn't want the bigger carp in there. All the others lakes remain open as normal and there is no change to our match schedule or to pleasure anglers, they just have to dip all their nets as normal"

Scientists meanwhile say simply that two lakes are affected and that the disease is SVC. Nearby fisheries have been placed on red alert with stringent measures put in place to protect their stocks.

EA fisheries scientist Dan Smallwood confirmed that tests on fish at Browning Cudmore have proved to be SVC positive and said an immediate Designated Area Order had been placed on the fishery. "We are taking this very seriously and making every possible effort to ensure this doesn't spread," he said.

Symptoms of the disease include internal bleeding and infected fish usually die.

"In a way it's blessing because we now plan to drain that lake and restock it with carp to 2lb plus chub and barbel with a view to re-opening in the spring "

Nice to know they're thinking of their fish isn't it!!

(& i'm not going into still water Barbel again.)

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Last edited:

angler-mark

Alan,
Thanks for the info, I certainly will not be paying this venue a visit and cannot for the life of me understand their attitude apart from confirming that they are motivated by profit and not interested in the welfare of their own fishstocks or any others that could be affected by their decision to stay open.[:(][:(][:(]

Tight Lines

Mark

Trevski

On the subject...

If any of the forum members have visited this fishery
recently does anyone have any advice regards what they
can do with their nets to safeguard other venues?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

angler-mark

Throw them in the bin and then charge the fishery for the cost of the new ones! That would soon change their thinking [;)][;)][;)]

Tight Lines

Mark

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
How can they restock when any request for a section 30 will be refused. Other than by using stock from one of the other lakes.
I can remember Billy Makin making remarks regarding the EA and it seems that Cudmore are of the same ilk. If I'm right they both belong to the same umbrella organisation and have stated that the EA have no right to govern them. Infact they wanted exclusion from anglers being required to have rod licences when fishing there waters.

Surely now all true anglers should boycot any known waters that carry this disease.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Right before i start let me make this clear

this is in no way aimed at any specific angling group

I have visited mudmore on a few occasions (not to fish but to meet with people) the last time was during the F&M crisis, there idea of protection for this was a young lad of around 11/12 spraying cars tyres with a very weak mix of dettol & water (you could hardly smell the dettol & the waters was nearly clear).

As i walked around the pools i was disgusted by the rotting frame tents etc on the banks & the piles of HUMAN mess in or near the bushes (including the "paper" along with all the litter to say i was disgusted is a smidgen of an understatement.

I had Dian, Cheyenne & my mother with me & to be honest when we went into the "cafe" (not what i'd call it) the language & attitude of the staff was disgusting (especially the fat bloke who seems to run the place) even though they could see i had women & a child with me they just carried on with their discussions on sex & what they'd like to do to "so n so" if they could get her in bed.

John

To be honest mate i don't think any "true anglers" visit the place more than once, due to the way it is & the way its run.

You are indeed correct with the statement on it being the same as makins (another place best forgotten) & yes they were one of those supporting the idea of no rod licence.

Then again a small bag of thier "special" pellets were around the 10 mark so i don't think they were thinking of the cost of the licence to anglers!

Mudmore is far from a place for "true" anglers, its a place for anglers who want to bang 500lb of assorted bait in the water then get back into bed & go to sleep.

In my honest opinion no real anglers would ever use a place like cudmore & thats why they have to have reports in the angling comics every week, which are of course passed onto the comics by the staff at the place so i wouldn't trust them anyway.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Trevski

Just to contrast that mate, If anyone reading this actually does
fish there I can recommend an alternative.

Not my usual cup of tea, but I did fish here a few weeks ago with
my boss...

Border Fisheries.

Not far from cudmore but from the sounds of if ALOT different.
The staff were friendly, helpfull and knowledgeable.
They didn't force us to use their baits (was offered though)
The cafe was great (cracking burgers btw)
And the whole place was SPOTLESS.
Not a bit of litter ANYWHERE.

(They do indulge in your personal pet hate though Alan.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.