Suzuki cars

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
This thread has cost me a few quid! It reminded me that I previously wanted to get a Swift Sport, a naturally aspirated one so pre 2017. Managed to find a mint one on a 15 plate, 25k miles, excellent fun on the back roads. May look at an ecu remap to improve torque at lower revs if possible. Still an excellent handling old school hatch back willing to chase the red line all day. Never want to touch a diesel again now!!

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
This thread has cost me a few quid! It reminded me that I previously wanted to get a Swift Sport, a naturally aspirated one so pre 2017. Managed to find a mint one on a 15 plate, 25k miles, excellent fun on the back roads. May look at an ecu remap to improve torque at lower revs if possible. Still an excellent handling old school hatch back willing to chase the red line all day. Never want to touch a diesel again now!!

I love my diesel, Astra J elite 2.0 162bhp nearly 10 years old but drives better than my 2019 plate octavia estate company car, so much more refined.

Has the F40 gearbox so rock solid unlike the crappy M32 in the lesser variants. Can cruise along at 30mph in 4th gear smooth as silk and no judder, drop down to 3rd and effortless buttery smooth acceleration all the way to 60.

Had a couple petrol cars in the past, a 1.6 Peugeot 307 and a 2.0 Mondeo but non drive as lovely as the Astra diesel.

Best petrol I've driven was a 1.5 or 1.6 turbo'd Octavia saloon with 150bhp whilst company car was in for a new throttle body, that was smooth too.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
I guess we all enjoy different cars and styles of driving. There certainly is no one fits all car out there. My current company car is a 2.0 Focus ST line diesel (yawn), would be more comfy and refined on A roads than the Suzuki, but nowhere near as much fun on the twisty stuff, way too heavy for a start, the swift only weighs just over 1000kg. I used to overlook lower powered cars in favour of performance cars, but now much prefer a well balanced power to weight ratio, ignore 0-60 times and just look for a car that puts a smile on my face. Still don't want to drive another diesel though ;)

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Furthermore, just think how joyless driving will be when we are all electric:eek:

It'll suck without the noise, but power delivery from an electric motor is phenomenal. No turbo lag and gobs of torque, you can guarantee there'll be sporty models of mainstream electric cars.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
True, also, I should be over my midlife crisis by then and may be ready to go back to something quick, comfortable and soulless...!

Tristar

Site Supporter
I knew a few women with Suzuki's, Vitaras etc, they used to all arrive at work on time and liked their cars. However the ones with BMW's and Audi tittis that was different story. I used to have new Kia Ceed's and a Rio 1.1D, a lot of motorway work in the early hours and all weathers, never missed a beat, very reliable. However due to this piggin pandemic I've had to buy an old 2006 plate Honda Civic 1.8 petrol with 155K on the clock, it's a cracking car, if it doesn't pass it's MOT in September who cares as I have got my use out of it. I recommend the Civic.

If it's for fishing how about a Suzuki Carry? :D You can seriously pimp them out. If the fishing is bad then get out Sooty to entertain the blankers :p

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Hondas are cracking cars in my experience, 155k just about run in! Don't think you can beat Japanese cars for mechanical reliability, the survey stats usually back that up.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I think Volvo are the only western car to rival japan's reliability. I'd love a volvo one day but expensive.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think Volvo are the only western car to rival japan's reliability. I'd love a volvo one day but expensive.
Kathy has a 17 plate V40 it has been in need of recovery 4 times in the 2 years she has had, it has had 2 new ECU's and an almost complete rewire of the ignition system plus a new fuel pump all in a car with less than 30k miles on the clock.... It will be gone in a couple of weeks when we find a replacement, which will have made in germany stamped on it. The 3 least reliable cars I have had have all been Honda's, an accord type R that had major electrical problems, a civic that required a full suspension rebuild with 17k on the clock, then required further suspension work 15k later and another civic that had broken down on every roundabout in county Durham, add to that with very expensive and not very helpful main dealers and I would not have another one even if someone paid me

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Volvo do make some nice cars, although are they now technically an Asian car
manufacturer?!

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Kathy has a 17 plate V40 it has been in need of recovery 4 times in the 2 years she has had, it has had 2 new ECU's and an almost complete rewire of the ignition system plus a new fuel pump all in a car with less than 30k miles on the clock.... It will be gone in a couple of weeks when we find a replacement, which will have made in germany stamped on it. The 3 least reliable cars I have had have all been Honda's, an accord type R that had major electrical problems, a civic that required a full suspension rebuild with 17k on the clock, then required further suspension work 15k later and another civic that had broken down on every roundabout in county Durham, add to that with very expensive and not very helpful main dealers and I would not have another one even if someone paid me
German cars tend to use quality materials but are very mediocre when it comes to reliability...

nejohn

Site Supporter
German cars tend to use quality materials but are very mediocre when it comes to reliability...
I have had 7 BMW's, 3 Merc's and 5 VW's and have never had any issues with reliability with any. The only time I have had to do anything other than routine maitanace was replacing a fuel pump on a BMW 330

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
Fair enough, I can see why you would want another, plus they hold their value too. I have similar experiences with Honda's etc regarding reliability, I guess our own experiences shape our views on such things.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter

Could be bad luck, put together on a Friday afternoon maybe 😆

I worked with a guy who had nothing but volvos for the last 25 years or so and had nothing major go wrong with them.

My brother has had a couple of civics with no issues and ran them to well over 100k.

Only jap cars I'm not keen on are Toyota, had access to a 14 plate estate as a pool car when I worked at Siemens, unsure which model but it was terrible, only 8k on the clock at the time but already had the interior trim rattling and vibrating and just sounded so flimsy whenever you closed a door like it was made of very cheap plastic and not much weight to it.

Zerkalo

My mates got a job as a motoring journalist, what a job! If you like cars that is. He was always a bit of a nutter when driving, I remember being driven around Keele University campus by him in a Focus and smashing my head off the interior of the car when he took a corner. Then he worked as an ambulance driver for a while. He gets to drive a lot of different cars. When I told him I had an Aygo, a car I liked, he told me that they were great little cars and he'd raced in them in snow. I'd agree, until the engine conked out around 150,000 miles, I went everywhere in it, and as a small car, had much better handling than my current Megane on windy roads. Not even bad on Motorways. The Megane is French which probably why it's better on Napoleonic straight roads. My MR2 was also a beast of a car.

PJ Rothwell

Site Supporter
The MR2 was an excellent little car. Just goes to show that an affordable car with modest power but great balance is the perfect way to put a smile on your face.... or put you backwards into a ditch, in flames, still smiling of course !!

Zerkalo

The MR2 was an excellent little car. Just goes to show that an affordable car with modest power but great balance is the perfect way to put a smile on your face.... or put you backwards into a ditch, in flames, still smiling of course !!
I've posted this before but this is what happened to my MR2, sold it to a lad in Derbyshire and then read this in the news a few weeks later!