Suspended animation maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe1987

'Darwener'
A few weeks back i saw, on matt hayes, jan porter say that maggots kept in a plastic bag in the fridge keep really fresh and dont sweat. Is this true? Also, if it is,can anyone tell me if i shud leave air in the bag or not??? thanks

Toodlepip
**Joe-boy**

Jeff

Hi Joe, I did this a while ago when I went to Ryton Farm in Shropshire, I did not want to have to go looking for bait when I got there, so I bought 8 pints and split them into bags of a pint each and removed as much air a possible. Then I put them in a cool bag with loads of ice packs. At the end of the weeks 90% of the maggots were still good. When you first take them out of the bag they do look dead but give them an hour or so and a good clean and your ready to go fishing. So in answer to question, Yes as far as I am concerned it does work.

Tight Lines

joe1987

'Darwener'
thanks. im only usin em on tuesday but i want em really fresh

Toodlepip
**Joe-boy**

Jeff

If it is only for a couple of days I would riddle the sawdust that they came in off, Then put them in some maize and then into the fridge.

Tight Lines

mike s

Has anyone else noticed that Flouro. orange maggots don't move much but never seem to die & "blacken off"?

Cumbria Angling Centre

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Dont forget that dead maggots work just as well. I freeze whats left after a days fishing. I thaw them out but place them in water when required. The water stops them turning brown.

chill out go fishing

Tiny Tim

Yeah i agree does no harm putting them in fridge as long as you thaw them out for few hours before fishing! Not tried them in the freezer. Wonder what setting i need my microwave on to defrost them!!!
"Flouro pinkies" never ever seen them go off! Too much radiation i guess!!

Status
Not open for further replies.