Surrey society

Lippydafish88

Hi guys,

I'm a bit spoilt for choice living in East Surrey.

Having a hard time choosing a society to join this year.

So far I've narrowed it down to Farnham (1hr drive), Godalming (1hr drive) and Woking (40mins)

Would any members of these societies be able to share some insight? Looking to fish for carp in the 20-30lb bracket as well as fun fishing for my 7yr old.

Many thanks

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I'm a member of farnham. Great value and about every type of water you could wish for. However, they do get very busy in the better weather. The yateley lakes especially

alsur

Site Supporter
I'm also a member of Farnham and agree with SerialBlanker, it's great value but has a lot of members and Carp venues get very busy in summer especially at weekends.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Have you popped into Caterham Angling and asked them?
Although probably it's going to be a tellingbone call during these weird times.

Lippydafish88

Have you popped into Caterham Angling and asked them?
Although probably it's going to be a tellingbone call during these weird times.
Yeah mate, I'm a regular customer of theirs. I asked about these clubs the last time I went. He said although he hasn't fished the clubs waters himself, he has a lot of customers that do and if there is fish in it then they're there to fish for lol

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Farnham all the way. Masses of big carp waters and some very good small fish waters , with one of each back to back ( Badshot Lea big pond and Kings pond) with safe parking and water on tap .
Value for money in my mind as I'm a member of Farnham and Godalming. I have fished most of Farnham waters over 20 years and l used to drive from Essex! Now I'm a lot closer NE Hampshire. 😉

alsur

Site Supporter
I was chatting to my mate who is a member of Godalming and Woking and together they don't have as many Carp waters as Farnham , as I said earlier the only downside is how busy some venues get in summer but there is always somewhere to fish if you are prepared to be flexible. The only thing I would add is small fish waters are not what they were also the videos and descriptions paint A Rosie picture of some of the lakes.

Lippydafish88

Farnham all the way. Masses of big carp waters and some very good small fish waters , with one of each back to back ( Badshot Lea big pond and Kings pond) with safe parking and water on tap .
Value for money in my mind as I'm a member of Farnham and Godalming. I have fished most of Farnham waters over 20 years and l used to drive from Essex! Now I'm a lot closer NE Hampshire. 😉
Wow that's a long journey seems worth it then if you're willing to drive that far 😀

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
They also do stocking on quite a few waters each year. Lots of silvers and crucians in Stockbridge and Kings pond this winter. Plus a few better fish elsewhere. There are toilets on most but not all waters. The ones in Bagshot Lea main carpark are proper flushing ones, very nice and l found them to be kept very clean as well.

alsur

Site Supporter
They also do stocking on quite a few waters each year. Lots of silvers and crucians in Stockbridge and Kings pond this winter. Plus a few better fish elsewhere. There are toilets on most but not all waters. The ones in Bagshot Lea main carpark are proper flushing ones, very nice and l found them to be kept very clean as well.
Must admit they have try hard to get Stockbridge back to its previous self and have put in a lot of fish same with Kings but both can be very patchy another water that has deteriorated a lot is Wyke pond and Badshot Lea Small Pond has gone from a good match water to more of a Carp water. On the other side Trees Lake fished well last year and the Blackwater can be very good. Carp anglers are spoilt for choice with prolific runs venues to hard lakes with big fish, the popular waters are heavily fished and it can be difficult to get a swim at times but others have very little pressure. As you say toilets on most venues and secure car parks and overall it's very good value especially if you are a Carp angler

Lippydafish88

Must admit they have try hard to get Stockbridge back to its previous self and have put in a lot of fish same with Kings but both can be very patchy another water that has deteriorated a lot is Wyke pond and Badshot Lea Small Pond has gone from a good match water to more of a Carp water. On the other side Trees Lake fished well last year and the Blackwater can be very good. Carp anglers are spoilt for choice with prolific runs venues to hard lakes with big fish, the popular waters are heavily fished and it can be difficult to get a swim at times but others have very little pressure. As you say toilets on most venues and secure car parks and overall it's very good value especially if you are a Carp angler
What lakes would you class as runs waters on the farnham ticket?

alsur

Site Supporter
What lakes would you class as runs waters on the farnham ticket?
I'm not a Carp angler so do not specifically target them but, Lodge Pond is most prolific but It does get busy in the warmer months but runs are pretty much guaranteed although there a lot of small carp in there, it responds to match tactics along with normal Carp tactics. Badshot Lea big and small are fairly easy and not quite as busy, big is also a very good Bream water and the Catfish come out regularly to those who know how to catch them.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It's all down to the size you want to catch.
There is no such thing as a 30's runs water.
For 2 to 10 then BLSP will do but beware of rules re rods, 10 to 15 l would say Lodge. Up to 20 there are a few that will give you 3 to 8 ish runs a day if fished correctly. Don't expect to turn up to any water and catch a run of a dozen or more thirty pounders though.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Badshot Lea big pond has a few large catfish in, my mate is a member and has had them when fishing for carp. Used to be a member, but travelling there (I'm only about a mile from OP) was horrendous , Tolworth and near Guildford on the A3 were a nightmare, 90 minutes was a good journey.

Lippydafish88

It's all down to the size you want to catch.
There is no such thing as a 30's runs water.
For 2 to 10 then BLSP will do but beware of rules re rods, 10 to 15 l would say Lodge. Up to 20 there are a few that will give you 3 to 8 ish runs a day if fished correctly. Don't expect to turn up to any water and catch a run of a dozen or more thirty pounders though.
I'm looking for prolific pleasure fishing off the top and bottom catching carp between 10 and 20 and then specimen hunting for anything over 20

Lippydafish88

Badshot Lea big pond has a few large catfish in, my mate is a member and has had them when fishing for carp. Used to be a member, but travelling there (I'm only about a mile from OP) was horrendous , Tolworth and near Guildford on the A3 were a nightmare, 90 minutes was a good journey.
Whenever I've checked maps most of the waters are 40 mins from me

alsur

Site Supporter
It depends on day and time of day but I think 40 mins is optimistic, Badshot Lea and StillWater would be nearest to you being just off A31, lodge is another 20 mins depending on time of day.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
It depends, as alsur said, on time of day and traffic conditions. Tolworth is a nightmare, as is the A3 as it approaches Guildford. When I fished Cobham I could get there in less than 30 minutes on a Sunday, but midweek it could double.