Surrey river fishing

Fav

Any seasoned anglers in the area planning to be out on the rivers (or canals) post closed season on a regular basis who would be prepared to teach a noobie a thing or two? I’ve only been back to fishing for a couple of seasons and I’m out most weeks fishing matches on commercials with a local club but it’s getting a bit samey / carpy and most of the lads I fish with have put their river fishing days firmly behind them (mostly due to various age related ailments).

I haven’t fished a river since I was about 10 (nearly 40 years) and as much as the idea appeals massively, the steep learning curve (perceived or otherwise) and endless expanse of water to explore looking for a spot that has potential at least is a bit daunting. And then there’s the gear to consider. And the impact of the weather. Where to start? Nearest I’ve got to trying was a quick bite-less sesh on the Thames after the first frost which wasn’t at all encouraging. The intention is there even if the knowledge is lacking.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not my area but I fished the Thames at Chertsey back in July and for my first time on a new stretch it was fairly easy fishing so somewhere around there might not be a bad place to start. Best bet when tackling any bit of river for the first time is to take a float and feeder rod and maggot, hemp and groundbait and literally just fish for bites until you start figuring out how different fish all behave before trying anything fancy. In the first few months of the season it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a few fish.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I fished the river Wey quite a lot through Guildford up and down on winter league matches. Its a great river to start on as its slow moving with easy access. I believe there are quite a few stretches that are open to day ticket, but I haven't fished it for quote a while so Google will tell you current availability.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
As you're Epsom based I'd be happy to take you on to the Mole post June 16th.