Surface Fishing

WOODSEY65

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and to fishing in general. I started in April when I bought a Drennan Carp Feeder/Pellet Waggler and am learning every time I go. I have tried float fishing and pellet waggler fishing and tried my hand at surface fishing with dog biscuits last week. The rod seemed to work fine for this but as I'm no expert its hard to tell if it is really is suitable for this method of fishing. If I were to look at a rod for surface fishing what would you recommend? Ideally I'd like something that covers more than the one discipline as otherwise it will be in the cupboard from Sept through to next June. Any advice?

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Avon rod.
Surface fishing, ledgering, medium to heavy float fishing, lures, free lining, touch ledgering and I also use mine for Perch live baiting.
Very versatile tools they are, but your rod is fine for floater use.

WOODSEY65

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll keep trying with the drennan and have a look at some Avon rods to add to to my kit.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends on the size of the carp really. For typical small commercial carp a float rod will be fine but for bigger ones an Avon rod is ideal and also just a versatile bit of kit to have.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
For me the perfect surface rod for controller float fishing ( and I have many to choose from ) is a 9 ft Ugly Stik Elite.......hardly fashionable but will land anything you catch. Lovely casting action.... it could also be used for method type bottom fishing with a bite alarm. and as it's actually marketed as a spinning rod....you could do that as well.
And all for about 60-70 squid :)

TiggerXFM

Not long ago I used a nash scope in 10ft 2 .25 test and it was great. I didn't even use a float, simply used the weight of the bread after a quick dip in the water, watched the line on the surface or the bread itself.

BoldBear

The rods I usually choose when surface fishing for Carp are my old 2lb Tc Diawa Powermesh Carp rod which has a nice forgiving action and will handle larger Carp and my Greys Prodigy 1.5lb/2lb Multi-Tip rod which also has a forgiving action.

An Avon style rod of around 1.25lb through to around 2lb Tc should be ok in most situations unless you are targeting big Carp in snag filled waters.

Keith

Last edited: